Drop tunings on an 8 string

• Thread starter thrsher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
what would it be for drop f# and drop G....im def curious to know as im interested in an 8 and those would be tunings i might play

Deadseen

Reaction score
With the right strings you could probably tune it to drop F#. But standard tuning on a 8-string is F# standard, so drop would then be Drop E (one octave under a normal 6-string)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
What octave range are you talking about? :scratch: E1 is very doable on the RG2228's 27.0" scale, I couldn't keep much in focus below that. More to do with tonality than tension. I regularly tune to D1 on my Steinberger Synapse ST2-FPA baritone (28 5/8") with an .080, and lower with large bass strings.

Daemon

The Nocturnal Chaos
Reaction score
Drop E !

Because :

--------------E | - B - | E - - A - - D - - G - - B - - E
-------| 8 drop | 7 std | - - SIX STRINGS STANDARD - - |

for me it's the most interesting to do...

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
I've been wanting to buy an 8 for the sole reason of trying D A D A D G B E.
I love me some Drop-D :agreed:

omgmjgg

WTFCAKES
Reaction score
I'm playing in a variation of an E tuning, but I've went as low as D on my 8th and it wasn't to terrible.

troyguitar

Reaction score
what would it be for drop f# and drop G....im def curious to know as im interested in an 8 and those would be tunings i might play

Drop F# would be F# C# F# B E A C# F#

Drop G would be G D G C F Bb D G

More or less you would be tuning your guitar up 2 (F#) or 3 (G) half steps then adding two low strings and dropping the lowest string.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
i would definitely drop E, because then you'd be able to base your music around lots of chords using open strings. One example of drop E i'm sure everyone is familiar with. and I used to hate drop tunings before i realized how much easier writing songs in A minor was than B minor (using lots of open strings/chords). Hmm then again I just realized that E minor has an F# in it (so the F# would in fact be in the key). Then again though, it wouldn't be the tonic, though you could write some cool shit based around F# mixolydian

now with djent (album version)

screamindaemon

Overlord of Music
Reaction score
Drop E !

Because :

--------------E | - B - | E - - A - - D - - G - - B - - E
-------| 8 drop | 7 std | - - SIX STRINGS STANDARD - - |

for me it's the most interesting to do...

I agree completely. It only makes sense in my mind to use drop E. That's the first thing that came to me head.

Out of curiosity, is the bottom E of this tuning equivalent to the top string of a bass?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I agree completely. It only makes sense in my mind to use drop E. That's the first thing that came to me head.

Out of curiosity, is the bottom E of this tuning equivalent to the top string of a bass?

Not sure if you mean top or bottom - I think of it as bottom. Yes - drop E on an 8 string is the same as the lowest string of a normal bass.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score

Yes its the same low E on a standard tuned bass, just E 1 octave down.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Lowest I've heard someone get good results on an 8 string drop tuning is Bb I think.

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Drop E is pretty nice sounding and you can always double up and practice with other favorite songs to ge ta good feel of it.

I've got the Intrepid at DGDGDGBE and it'll stay at this tuning. Nice open tuning style for the lower strings and doubling up on octaves for more of the wall of sound type effect, and the standard on the highs so that higher pitched leads are in standard.

omgmjgg

WTFCAKES
Reaction score
Drop E is pretty nice sounding and you can always double up and practice with other favorite songs to ge ta good feel of it.

I've got the Intrepid at DGDGDGBE and it'll stay at this tuning. Nice open tuning style for the lower strings and doubling up on octaves for more of the wall of sound type effect, and the standard on the highs so that higher pitched leads are in standard.

that is an interesting tuning, I want to try it out now