Drop tunings on an 8 string

• Thread starter thrsher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daschy

BIG WHISKERS
Reaction score
Why isn't it 440? Pardon my ignorance... but what's the reasoning behind this?

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is, but if I remember correctly, Dimebag tuned to A = 432, in standard (Cowboys From Hell) and whole step down (5 Minutes Alone). It's why Pantera sounds a bit different.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I have a 27 inch Agile 8 and I play in drop E frequently. the guitar is strung .09 - .80 (i bought an 80 guage bass string) and it plays great, even on high frets on the low E. As a player who wrote the majority of my music in E minor on the 6 string, i truly love drop E because all of my lead scales I memorized for years on the 6 string all can be applied with drop E tuning (ie the 12th position natural minor scale). Power chords below the 4th fret sound like piss though. Seems you can only really play power chords to maybe a G or G# before they mud out. that is not because of the guitar, its the same reason you dont see bass plays doing power chords rooted on the low e.

In a way it is because of the guitar: your combination of scale length and string gauge produces too much inharmonicity for your ear to tolerate even simple power chords. Bass is much the same, with their substantially thicker strings offsetting the benefits of the extended scale on the lower strings. Extend your scale length far enough for a given tuning and you could even play more complex chords using the lowest strings.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Currently my band tunes low to high; F#, C#, F#, B, E, A, C#, F#. This is a pretty fun tuning if you want to have the best of both worlds (high and low register)!

Thrawn

Reaction score
Sorry for the necro bump guys but I used to tune to Drop Eb on my 8 and also played around with the Danza tuning which is a lot of fun.

I now tune to Drop (F-C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab-C-F), using .80-.09 string gauge.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is, but if I remember correctly, Dimebag tuned to A = 432, in standard (Cowboys From Hell) and whole step down (5 Minutes Alone). It's why Pantera sounds a bit different.

I thought I remembered reading that Pantera tuned slightly flat cause of the vocals...makes sense to me if the vocalist is always just a little flat, but not bad, just tune the guitar an RCH lower....

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
Drop D# is your friend.
Shit sounds soooo organic and powerful!

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Why isn't it 440? Pardon my ignorance... but what's the reasoning behind this?

There is actually quite a debate regarding the A432 vs A440 and which should be used.

Only recently was the A standardized to 440Hz. Frequencies resonate with our conscious and subconscious minds.

In cymatics ( Cymatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), where frequencies are studies for their physical and geometrical properties,
shapes will occur when certain frequencies are attenuated onto a surface.

Examples, with the first being directly related to 432Hz to 440Hz:

I don't want to regurgitate, so I will briefly spew something that sounds crazy and then provide links and you can see some views on the topic.

Basically, Rockefeller (Google it if you don't know the name, to find out just how influential they have been in our world)
and the Third Reich (Nazi Germany) both had interests to push for A440. Why? Who knows?
What we do know, are that they are both involved in enormous amounts of power and control and wanted to keep it that way.

A440, some believe, is thought to be a method of controlling the general population, and also causing disharmony, aggression, and lower being.

So, here are some links:

News headlines: The Music Weapon

MUSICAL CULT CONTROL: THE ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION?S WAR ON CONSCIOUSNESS THROUGH THE IMPOSITION OF A=44OHZ STANDARD TUNING ?

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
There is actually quite a debate regarding the A432 vs A440 and which should be used.

Only recently was the A standardized to 440Hz. Frequencies resonate with our conscious and subconscious minds.

In cymatics ( Cymatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), where frequencies are studies for their physical and geometrical properties,
shapes will occur when certain frequencies are attenuated onto a surface.

Examples, with the first being directly related to 432Hz to 440Hz:

I don't want to regurgitate, so I will briefly spew something that sounds crazy and then provide links and you can see some views on the topic.

Basically, Rockefeller (Google it if you don't know the name, to find out just how influential they have been in our world)
and the Third Reich (Nazi Germany) both had interests to push for A440. Why? Who knows?
What we do know, are that they are both involved in enormous amounts of power and control and wanted to keep it that way.

A440, some believe, is thought to be a method of controlling the general population, and also causing disharmony, aggression, and lower being.

So, here are some links:

News headlines: The Music Weapon

MUSICAL CULT CONTROL: THE ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION?S WAR ON CONSCIOUSNESS THROUGH THE IMPOSITION OF A=44OHZ STANDARD TUNING ?

I just read it... and... WTF... :nuts: