Drop tunings on an 8 string

• Thread starter thrsher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

screamindaemon

Overlord of Music
Reaction score
With a .80 guage string (thickest guitar string typically found) you could get it to work, though you would have much less tension (14.4 pounds as compared to 16+ pounds on the rest of the strings. But it would suffice.

You can get thicker guitar strings or bass strings to offset the tension issue though.

I went through this thought process too, but I opted for the 28.625 length to get an even tension across the fretboard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antimatter

Reaction score
hey i play six string in CGCFAD how could i use that tuning in 8 string form

Well, you could do as that guy up there said with the DGCGCFAD, or maybe you could have an extra higher string and a lower one, and go with GCGCFADG. It would be an interesting approach.

blastbeatdown

Reaction score
what gauge do you guys prefer for drop E on the low string? i'm getting a 28" scale agile soon, what do you think? i'm thinking .080, other than that all i can find is .074 or the .072 that it comes stock with.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
That wouldn't be dropped that would be tuned up a half - step.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, man, it would be drop G. Since "standard" 8 tuning is low F#, the 8th string would be tuned up a half step, but the rest of the guitar would be tuned up one and a half steps. So yes, the whole guitar would be tuned up, but it would still be a drop G tuning.

To the OP, drop F# would be: F# C# F# B E a c# f#. Basically, the stock F# is the same, and the rest of the guitar is tuned up one whole step. Drop G would be the same thing, but everything tuned up another half step.

EDIT: blastbeatdown, for the 28.625" Agile, I'd say start with a .074 for E. Most people around here use a .080 for E on a 27" scale, and that's basically the reasonable limit before you get too thick (too boomy), so .074 is a safe bet.

Peteus

Reaction score

When I get around to getting my band going properly I think I am going to push to play a few songs in 8 string 2 step drop as well. Has a Nice feel to it :)

what gauge do you guys prefer for drop E on the low string? i'm getting a 28" scale agile soon, what do you think? i'm thinking .080, other than that all i can find is .074 or the .072 that it comes stock with.

I use an 80 for a normal low F# on my agile however I like my strings tight so I would give that a ago for drop E.

DeadSuspect

Reaction score
When I get around to getting my band going properly I think I am going to push to play a few songs in 8 string 2 step drop as well. Has a Nice feel to it :)

I use an 80 for a normal low F# on my agile however I like my strings tight so I would give that a ago for drop E.

I agree... I myself also have an 80 on my 8th string for the low F, it feels good and tight and not sloppy like other's below that string gauge, specially if u have a big scale length like a 28" or even 30"...

Aerospace274

Scotty G!
Reaction score
Edit: Oh shit, didn't realize I was on page one! xD Fail!
A lot of people seem to like .080's at at 27" or 28" scale! That'd be a good place to start!

Reaction score
So I'm going to audition for this band and they tune to Drop B (B-F♯-B-E-G♯-C♯) with a 6 string. The question is does anyone think this tuning is doable on my 8 string? What would the last two high string be tuned to? I'm thinking they might be much too high to work. Perhaps there would be a variation where I tune the 4 low strings to B-F♯-B-E and then the 4 higher strings to something different. Any thoughts on that?

saovi

Reaction score
One option is to try tuning your middle six strings to their tuning and put F#s on the low and high string:

F# B F# B E G# C# F#

If this is long term you may want to look at lighter gauge strings for at least the six higher strings.

Reaction score
Can anyone think of a variation that would allow for Drop A on a 25.5 inch scale length 8 string?

A, E, A, D, G, B, E, ?

Whats the next high string in this sequence? "A" again right?

Or how about A, A, E, A, D, G, B, E?

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I'd use ADGCFADG. That embeds your whole-step-flat six strings in the center, continues the normal interval down, continues the interval up, and allows using a normal string on that high G.

I currently use the bottom part of this on 8-string (EADGCFAD).

I'm planning on using a superset of this on a 10-string (BEADGCFADG). Unfortunately I have to unexpectedly travel a lot in the next few months, and so I don't have the money for this go-around in the semi-custom shop.

Reaction score
I'd use ADGCFADG. That embeds your whole-step-flat six strings in the center, continues the normal interval down, continues the interval up, and allows using a normal string on that high G.

I currently use the bottom part of this on 8-string (EADGCFAD).

I'm planning on using a superset of this on a 10-string (BEADGCFADG). Unfortunately I have to unexpectedly travel a lot in the next few months, and so I don't have the money for this go-around in the semi-custom shop.

Its gotta be Drop A to play with another dude that plays 7 strings. Plus his A is 432hz instead of 440hz. Confusing I know.

Dayn

Reaction score
Given the music you'd be playing together, I think it'd be better to stick a high G string on there for an interval of a minor third. Interesting chord and lead phrasing.

You could do a low E maybe. Or have it stringed like I have, drop A with a low C#. A minor sixth between it and the A, I quite like it, but with my 27" I think it's a bit too bassy. If I had a 25.5", I'd go for the high G.