EBMM Abasi Kaizen

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I remember folks getting excited about this in the ergonomic community back in the day. It was always the neck tilting the other way, though, to cause less flexion in the wrist. Aside from Lace, a company named Torzal was building most of the ones I saw, including replacement necks for guitars like the Klein seen below.

Looks like Torzal is still at it. Some really whacky examples of tilted necks on that website.

Also found this quote on the BTEG blog about the Klein:

It's notable that tilting the neck the other way could have the opposite effect of putting more strain on the wrist. It'd only be slight, but then so is the benefit of tilting the fretboard for better visibility.

I can see how a tilt away from the player could provide a slight ergonomic benefit. Tilting towards the player so they can see better mostly seems to be a gimmick.

Torzal-Neck-Klein-Guitar.jpg

Laceguitar.JPG

Yeah, I just so happened to watch a video where they quickly show a Torzal bass: (linked minute 8:27)

Honestly, that makes a LOT more sense to me than what the Kaizen attempts to do.

I still have very mixed feelings about the Kaizen.
It just doesn't look the part to me. Kinda looks like the life-sized version of a toy that would come with a shitty 80's hair metal action figure.
80's guitars were wildly shaped and also looked plastic-y, but they didn't have that air of pretentiousness and "look-at-me-I'm-so-aDvaNCeD"ness that the Abasi brand carries with it.
It strikes me as less avant-garde and more like it came out of a bored 15-year old's math notebook.

Yet, I somehow still do like the shape (probably just by virtue of being something that is finally and actually different and unique) and it's very reasonable to believe it'll be a great quality instrument.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Keep in mind, this will be a limited first release. Which means scalpers gonna scalp. You want to get in and preorder early.

I don't want to see any of you complaining when the model gets scalped on reverb for 5k because full release isn't until next year LOL

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One of the prominent things about the Kaizen announcement was "hey, I'm Tosin Abasi and I don't make a 7 string with a tremolo. This is unique!" and then he announces he's making a 7 string with a trem the very next day.
No fan, though.

The Blue Ghost

Direct Mount Pickup Enjoyer
Reaction score
Should you ever change your mind, you know where to find me :yum:
Okay haha. Got it for under 2k eur too which was a great deal aswell. Though not likely it would be stellar if ebmm would make a roasted maple neck version with the exact same insanely thin and flat profile in the future, though it's still insane how a gloss neck can be so smooth that you don't even think about the fact that it's a bolt on guitar with a gloss neck while playing

sell2792

Reaction score
JPXI & JP12 master race

Music-Man-John-Petrucci-JPXI-7-Onyx-Body.jpg
jp12_grande.jpg

I've got a JPX7 & a JP15 - either an XI or 12 is on my list for my next purchase, but I've committed to finding a 47th anniversary JP12 with a flame (not quilt) top in Bahama Blue. I think they made like maybe ten so it's probably never happening.

Sparkly red boi it is.

The Blue Ghost

Direct Mount Pickup Enjoyer
Reaction score
I've got a JPX7 & a JP15 - either an XI or 12 is on my list for my next purchase, but I've committed to finding a 47th anniversary JP12 with a flame (not quilt) top in Bahama Blue. I think they made like maybe ten so it's probably never happening.

Sparkly red boi it is.
Sparkly red boii is the best boii

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Long thread, apologies if it had been mentioned b4, but do we know how much this thing costs? For MM, which I usually find their design taste abhorrent (e.g. bongo bass), I think it's ok, reminds be a bit of the Albert Lee model (another gem in their catalog:facepalm:). My 2 cents here, kinda literally :D
1. This thing is not gonna be cheap, so personally, I'd rather spend the same/comparable money on something else, something more modern, e.g. Aristides.
2. Going 24.75"-25.5" on the fan seems like a marketing decision rather than what such an instrument needs/requires. Makes it look like so that someone can claim they bought a MS. This imho is worse than going all 25.5", k, so I'm missing the boat on this one.