EHX - TAD - TungSol 12AX7

• Thread starter BillCartESP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
TAD doesn't manufacture tubes, so the difference between it and the EHX is basically zero. The Tung-Sol is just a different model from the same factory.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
TAD relabels basically every manufactures tubes, so you will find relabeled JJs, New Sensors or Shuguangs. EH and Tung Sol are both made by New Sensor (like Sovtek and others).
I like to use both EH and Tung sol for the V1 Position, depending on the amp. In my opinion, the EH is kinda dark and barky, but has a hard edge to the tone which i like. The tung sol is rather smooth on the high end, but has big grindy high mids and a thick low end. That is what i hear at least.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like the TungSol as well. Yet to try the EH.

Knew about the TAD relabel. Unfortunately it was on a tube I was giving a try along with the EH. The TAD that is like the EH is 12AX7/ECC83 WA. Although I have another TAD that’s the same number but it’s a Sovtek; got it in 2019 or so. Tube looks different from the EH and TAD.

The TAD is a relabelled EH. All the reviews I read never mentioned the current TAD is an EH. Would have been useful info. Was figuring it would be better picked Psvane. As always some folks claim they’d pay extra for them to screen tubes better. I’m thinking they were the same price as EH. The TAD might have been a buck or two less.

When I posted the picture I noticed the getter was different on the TungSol compared to the others. So that slight difference changes the sound? It’ll be interesting to try the EH. Guess if I like it I’ll have 2.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
They will have different color to their sounds, for different reasons, but nothing crazy.

TAD has in the past taken whatever they can get and slapped "TAD" on it. Not very Chad of them, but they came up from the tube crisis after the reds started disputing again and put vacuum tube supplies in question. The work, but they're not made for good tone IMO. Nowadays I could totally believe they are EH or JJ rebrands across the board, but I don't know.

Plug them in and see how they sound.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying SalsaWood. My usual 3 go to tubes are JJ e83cc, the TungSol above, and GoldLion GP. Depends on the amp to where they go.