EMG or Fishmans?

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
tried that to them directly via emails - their customer service was a shambles

get off your fanboi high horse

Send them an email at support@fishman.com Not a fanboy, you just haven't described anything that is a "problem" What is your actual issue? it's easy to be an internet terrorist but if so, at least state your grievances.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Given that I don't have a blade switch in the guitar now I'm weary of the kind of work it would take to install a 5 way switch. But I appreciate knowing that it is possible. I would be paying a pro to do it as I'm not near adept enough to do it myself.

A 5-way can be tricky!! I would honesty pay to have it done if you're not familiar with installs! Good luck!

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Send them an email at support@fishman.com Not a fanboy, you just haven't described anything that is a "problem" What is your actual issue? it's easy to be an internet terrorist but if so, at least state your grievances.

Hello, just curious since I know you're the absolute expert on the fishman stuff and did the demo of all the sets but I had a quick question if you had a moment. I'm really not a fan of voice 2 on the Modern set but in the future I'd love to have fishmans in an LP for c/b standard. What do you think would be the best set for that?

Thanks a ton in advance, there's just not great info about the signature sets out there especially for the application I'm curious about.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
When you guys say EMG which particular pickup do you mean? I have EMG X in my strandberg 7 string and thinking about replacing them with fishman moderns...

I'm talking about the 85 x neck/81 x bridge setup. I'd like to point out I'm using the passive pots from the regular EMG's, since that makes a big difference in battery life. EMG's active 25K controls are thirsty like the Fishmans are, and I also had my old 25K pots soldered in instnead of using the quick connects for everything.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Well my stuff is here but it came an hour after I took the mini verb to the post office so looks like we're gonna be using this stuff with my friend's blue angel.

lewis

Reaction score
I don't know but Susi doesn't look good here as a Fishman rep...
no one who work for them ever do.
Be it in here or through emails.

same over the top, overly defensive, elitist, patronising, nonsense displayed yet again.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Well I'm waiting for a response from EMG about using passive tone pots as a volume pot for X series stuff since I heard that works so we'll have to compare responses.

Strobe

Reaction score
It's actually not confusing and if I'm wrong, please send me the links that you're suggesting that there's and issue. I'm assuming you're talking about Fishman's Single Width set vs. the HSS/HSH/HS set

Those are two different products and are identified under each one individually. All functions & wirings are described. here are the links..
======================================================
Fishman Single Width
https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/fluence-single-width-pickup-set-of-3-white/

Single Width Labels
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence_Single_Width_Wire_Labels.pdf

Wiring:
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...dth-Wiring-Diagram-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...g-Diagram-Vol-Tone-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence-Single-Width-9-Volt-Wiring-Diagram.pdf
======================================================
Fishman HSS/HSH/HS

HSS/HSH/HS
https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/fluence-single-width-pickup-hss-hsh-hs/

HSS/HSH/HS Labels
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence_Single_Width_Wire_Labels.pdf

Wiring:
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...dth-Wiring-Diagram-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...g-Diagram-Vol-Tone-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence-Single-Width-9-Volt-Wiring-Diagram.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Fluence_Classic_Open_Core_HSH_1xV_1xT_9V.pdf

Good resources, thanks. In defense of the fluence line, I will say this. If you just want to wire it as a single voice pickup, it is no more difficult than wiring an EMG. It is plug and play at that point.

If you want to use the numerous options (voicing, HF tilt, splits, etc.) it gets more complex. The Fishman line here is to take it to a qualified tech. Folks get miffed about that because they are used to just being able to look at a diagram for their pickup with either one or none of those options above.

That said, I see the picture that says "send this wire to ground to activate" and I just know how to do that - not trying to brag - I am scared of truss rod adjustments but just happen to have always made a hobby electrical stuff. I see that the voicing or the split is activated by grounding it and I know what to do. If that is not you - then the response of "send it to a tech" really is a the right response.

That said, what players are asking for, and this just does not exist is an exhaustive library of wiring diagrams for many different fluence wiring setups (e.g. 5 way switch HSH with two volume two tone). That gets to be an absurd numbers of diagrams for how *many* different switching combinations there are. The disconnect here is that people still want that thing even if it might not be a reasonable thing. A step in the right direction would be having more diagrams, how to videos, etc. available for these different wiring configurations. Maybe the juice is not worth the squeeze here - if so, send it to a tech is right - but it is not thrilling some folks.

Dayn

Reaction score
Good resources, thanks. In defense of the fluence line, I will say this. If you just want to wire it as a single voice pickup, it is no more difficult than wiring an EMG. It is plug and play at that point.

If you want to use the numerous options (voicing, HF tilt, splits, etc.) it gets more complex. The Fishman line here is to take it to a qualified tech. Folks get miffed about that because they are used to just being able to look at a diagram for their pickup with either one or none of those options above.

That said, I see the picture that says "send this wire to ground to activate" and I just know how to do that - not trying to brag - I am scared of truss rod adjustments but just happen to have always made a hobby electrical stuff. I see that the voicing or the split is activated by grounding it and I know what to do. If that is not you - then the response of "send it to a tech" really is a the right response.

That said, what players are asking for, and this just does not exist is an exhaustive library of wiring diagrams for many different fluence wiring setups (e.g. 5 way switch HSH with two volume two tone). That gets to be an absurd numbers of diagrams for how *many* different switching combinations there are. The disconnect here is that people still want that thing even if it might not be a reasonable thing. A step in the right direction would be having more diagrams, how to videos, etc. available for these different wiring configurations. Maybe the juice is not worth the squeeze here - if so, send it to a tech is right - but it is not thrilling some folks.
I just want to say that I know sweet FA about wiring, so I just gave my guitar, a 5-way switch, the box with my Fluences and stuff in it and the manual to a tech and said "I want this". Next day I got it back, wired perfectly. If you're confused about DIY then the best advice is to not DIY.

Matt08642

Reaction score
btw which EMGs would you recomment for progressive metal djenty stuff?

I think Marc from Veil of Maya used EMG 81s for most of their stuff before switching to a Fishman in his newer Kiesels

Reaction score

I can totally agree with that and understand! Fishman is currently creating more diagrams for those complex installs that you just described

Reaction score
Hello, just curious since I know you're the absolute expert on the fishman stuff and did the demo of all the sets but I had a quick question if you had a moment. I'm really not a fan of voice 2 on the Modern set but in the future I'd love to have fishmans in an LP for c/b standard. What do you think would be the best set for that?

Thanks a ton in advance, there's just not great info about the signature sets out there especially for the application I'm curious about.

Thanks for checking out the content and I totally understand if V2 on the Modern set is not your thing. Honestly, i can understand if you're not a fan of the feel and sound of blades. Most people are not so I can see how that sound may turn you off. There are so many awesome sets that are 1000% passive sounding/feeling that you would like. I'm not sure what style you play but start by checking out the Classics, Javier Reyes, and Keith Merrows. You can find great playthroughs by them on the Fishman YouTube. I did make a video with almost every set and every voice with download able files. Check this out if it helps a little

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/579zckh7d35x9kj/AAD2xZM8PbXSxTVz6hRoAOR8a?dl=0

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I think Marc from Veil of Maya used EMG 81s for most of their stuff before switching to a Fishman in his newer Kiesels
Interesting. I wonder if Marc swaps the pick up after the fact. His signature model with Kiesel that came out earlier this year has the Kiesel Polarity active in it.

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if Marc swaps the pick up after the fact. His signature model with Kiesel that came out earlier this year has the Kiesel Polarity active in it.

Marc was using Fishman pickups and I think still is. Kiesel loves to push their pickups (I don't blame them) so I wouldn't be surprised if he uses both.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Marc was using Fishman pickups and I think still is. Kiesel loves to push their pickups (I don't blame them) so I wouldn't be surprised if he uses both.
Agreed 100%. Plus he wouldn't be the first or last artist I'm sure to swap out pick ups in a signature model of theirs lol.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
So after a shit ton of combining diagrams and mutilating parts with a razor blade, it's finally done. The good news is all the gadgets are killer and I know it'll sound sick under gain. Both pickups are extremely dynamic but also tight and very aggressive and I was getting insanely good cleans out of both, even with the PA2 and RPC. Split sounds like an SAX as it should.

Bad news is the blue angel has zero gain inherently and the fuzz my friend uses hates both gadgets and the pickups. Either it sounds like really shitty solid state trash or just acts weird like cutting all the treble to the amp or getting really loud for no reason. The amp alone loves the stuff though!

Pics bc it actually happened:

view

view

And both of my birds:

view

view

Strobe

Reaction score
I can totally agree with that and understand! Fishman is currently creating more diagrams for those complex installs that you just described

Thanks. I appreciate what y'all are doing. I own like 7 different sets and have a lot of fun with them. I know it takes time to make all that content with so many switching options and new pickups.

elkoki

Reaction score
Only issue with EMGs currently is that I'd have to do up my whole wiring as solderless which adds about $150. Anyone know if you can just pop the solderless plugs and solder them? I found an old diagram for an 89 with DPDTs but I'm not sure how well that would work going back into solderless pots.

Also is there any way to solder the low gain modes on moderns? That would totally be a win for that camp.
M8 just learn to solder. It's easy as crap with all the YouTube tutorials out there