EMG or Fishmans?

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's a short random clip using the Fluence Willy Adler bridge pickup. What do you guys think of the tone? Too dark, too much mids?? BTW This is using Guitar Rig 5.. I've yet to hear these pickups through an expensive tube amp lol. https://soundcloud.com/user-265467884/fishman-fluence-will-adler-passive-voice-distortion
Best set fishman offers aside from the Keith Merrow set IMO. Sounds insane under high gain to my ears with the hybrid magnets they use in the bridge. I'm literally torn between his set and the merrow set for my schecter atm.

elkoki

Reaction score
I haven't played around with the Keith Merrow set but I've heard they are basically tweaked Fluence Classics. If that's the case they likely have alnico 5 magnets and aren't as aggressive sounding. Every guitarist has a different approach for their pickups, some like them super hot others prefer a moderate output and rely mostly on their amps for the aggression. If you're into a less aggressive pickup the Merrows might be better for you

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't played around with the Keith Merrow set but I've heard they are basically tweaked Fluence Classics. If that's the case they likely have alnico 5 magnets and aren't as aggressive sounding. Every guitarist has a different approach for their pickups, some like them super hot others prefer a moderate output and rely mostly on their amps for the aggression. If you're into a less aggressive pickup the Merrows might be better for you
You are right. Merrow's set is alnico 5 based whereas Adler's are a mix of ceramic poles and blade magnets. I have an emg 81/85 set right now and have messed with both pick ups in the bridge just to get a feel for how a ceramic plays/feels vs an alnico. For what I plan to eventually do with this guitar tuning wise I probably will go with the Adler set as I think in Drop B it'll sound better.

elkoki

Reaction score
You are right. Merrow's set is alnico 5 based whereas Adler's are a mix of ceramic poles and blade magnets. I have an emg 81/85 set right now and have messed with both pick ups in the bridge just to get a feel for how a ceramic plays/feels vs an alnico. For what I plan to eventually do with this guitar tuning wise I probably will go with the Adler set as I think in Drop B it'll sound better.

Oh they'll sound good in drop B. The clip I posted above was with my Schecter Hellraiser Exteme in drop C but I have played around with all kinds of drop tunings including B and they sound great.. Keith's are likely more versatile because of the alnico 5s and 3 voices. So theres another thing to think about

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
M8 just learn to solder. It's easy as crap with all the YouTube tutorials out there
Oh I can solder like a motherfucker, I just didn't want to do that with all the moving parts in this installation. Thankfully after the initial pain in the ass clipping everything together and troubleshooting wasn't too terrible. It just took forever to modify the pickup cables to get them into the cavity, and the cavity was so stuffed with wires it's hard to keep sorted.

lewis

Reaction score
Oh I can solder like a motherfucker, I just didn't want to do that with all the moving parts in this installation. Thankfully after the initial pain in the ass clipping everything together and troubleshooting wasn't too terrible. It just took forever to modify the pickup cables to get them into the cavity, and the cavity was so stuffed with wires it's hard to keep sorted.
this is what people overlook.

Difference between basic soldering (which even i suck at sadly) and like the mammoth solder job Fishmans require.

I remember needing like 10 solder joints or something. Feck that.
I bought an EMG quick connect kit that work fine with my Fishman set. No soldering required.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
So a company's customer support is in "shambles" because you can't read and interpret a wiring diagram? I'm looking on their site now, seeme like there is plenty of variations to choose from. ‍♂️

If you're going to do PR and Customer Service, as a professional in the field I'd advise you to change your tone when addressing customers. You're likely just aggravating people here. (Assuming you are who you say you are)

I'm available as a consultant should Fishman wish to make their Customer Service more efficient. I have credentials.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
So I stole an interface from a parts room at the university and plugged into some free sims and WHOOOAAAAA

The tones I'm getting are just what I want: ridiculous gain, tightness, maximum aggression. Yeah it's not the best for big chords but for riffing and leads and single note playing the sound can't be beat. It's such focused intensity and the gadgets are really useful too. Compared to my X2N the 81 is precise and sharp, opposed to chunky and crushing. Honestly 2 great tones and I played for almost 3 hours straight just having fun.

Also you don't have to pay to use the other amps in amped roots???? Just click off the pop up????

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
If you're going to do PR and Customer Service, as a professional in the field I'd advise you to change your tone when addressing customers. You're likely just aggravating people here. (Assuming you are who you say you are)

I'm available as a consultant should Fishman wish to make their Customer Service more efficient. I have credentials.

You think this shit would be obvious right.

correct: hey guys it’s new tech and it looks a little complex and there’s some things that you need to rethink how to wire. We’re working on better diagrams.

incorrect: learn to read you illiterate fuck.

lewis

Reaction score
You think this shit would be obvious right.

correct: hey guys it’s new tech and it looks a little complex and there’s some things that you need to rethink how to wire. We’re working on better diagrams.

incorrect: learn to read you illiterate fuck.

Its so true.
Honestly the reason I dont love Fishman. Its 50% overrated tones/products and 50% dreadful customer service with elitist attitude like this.

So patronising from their customer service team.

Reaction score
Its so true.
Honestly the reason I dont love Fishman. Its 50% overrated tones/products and 50% dreadful customer service with elitist attitude like this.

So patronising from their customer service team.

I've spent countless hours in sessions analyzing/listening to the delta between so many "coveted" wire wound pickups from other manufacturers. To be honest, there are some that sound terrific and most (same brand/same pickup) that don't sound nearly as close. When you think about it, winding a pickup is a very inconsistent process and it shows when you shuttle/swap them into the same guitar quickly. All I can say is that the 48 layer precision coil eliminates the inconsistency of windings, has perfect phase alignment, is noiseless, versatile and for Fishman, removes the "mystery" behind all the wiring "myths" that other companies sell you on with clever marketing. It's fine if you just don't like the sound, but in every case where we have A/B against bench mark "iconic" pickups, Fishman matches and far exceeded that tone. Plus, they can be fine-tuned in real-time without guessing. This truly is a revolutionary technology and there's reasons why big artists "have to have them."
I know that some of you will say "this guy is a plant or he works for the company" but I would genuinely like you to know that I'm a 20 year veteran in the industry being a musician/producer first. (Unearth) My whole musical career, I couldn't stand "artist reps and product managers from companies" showing up to my shows & feeding me a bunch lines. When I found the Fluence technology, I tossed those feelings aside and "offered to help" (no pay) to show the world how amazing this technology really is. I honestly didn't need to work for the company (financially speaking) but did because I'm reminded constantly how incredibly revolutionary this technology is. If you just "don't like the sound" I understand and there's plenty of great pickups on the market that you can play. It's just disheartening to hear "it stinks and the customer service sucks" narrative when I can tell you first hand that Fishman support reps and product team works really hard. Anyway, I hope this was informative and if you have any questions, I'm around!

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I've spent countless hours in sessions analyzing/listening to the delta between so many "coveted" wire wound pickups from other manufacturers. To be honest, there are some that sound terrific and most (same brand/same pickup) that don't sound nearly as close. When you think about it, winding a pickup is a very inconsistent process and it shows when you shuttle/swap them into the same guitar quickly. All I can say is that the 48 layer precision coil eliminates the inconsistency of windings, has perfect phase alignment, is noiseless, versatile and for Fishman, removes the "mystery" behind all the wiring "myths" that other companies sell you on with clever marketing. It's fine if you just don't like the sound, but in every case where we have A/B against bench mark "iconic" pickups, Fishman matches and far exceeded that tone. Plus, they can be fine-tuned in real-time without guessing. This truly is a revolutionary technology and there's reasons why big artists "have to have them."
I know that some of you will say "this guy is a plant or he works for the company" but I would genuinely like you to know that I'm a 20 year veteran in the industry being a musician/producer first. (Unearth) My whole musical career, I couldn't stand "artist reps and product managers from companies" showing up to my shows & feeding me a bunch lines. When I found the Fluence technology, I tossed those feelings aside and "offered to help" (no pay) to show the world how amazing this technology really is. I honestly didn't need to work for the company (financially speaking) but did because I'm reminded constantly how incredibly revolutionary this technology is. If you just "don't like the sound" I understand and there's plenty of great pickups on the market that you can play. It's just disheartening to hear "it stinks and the customer service sucks" narrative when I can tell you first hand that Fishman support reps and product team works really hard. Anyway, I hope this was informative and if you have any questions, I'm around!

the pickups are great. the cs sucks.

knightbro the guy you told to learn how to read up there owns 2-3 sets of fishmans.

it's hard to take this seriously

"It's just disheartening to hear "it stinks and the customer service sucks" narrative when I can tell you first hand that Fishman support reps and product team works really hard."

when you literally shit on a paying customer in this very thread.

Reaction score
the pickups are great. the cs sucks.

knightbro the guy you told to learn how to read up there owns 2-3 sets of fishmans.

it's hard to take this seriously

"It's just disheartening to hear "it stinks and the customer service sucks" narrative when I can tell you first hand that Fishman support reps and product team works really hard."

when you literally shit on a paying customer in this very thread.

Far from shitting on a paying customer bud. Give it a break!
I've contributed plenty of helpful information to this thread. Customer service does not "suck" and Fluence is a new technology so It's gonna take a minute to get everyone 80 years worth of wiring schemes. We are devoted to fulfilling that!

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Far from shitting on a paying customer bud. Give it a break!
I've contributed plenty of helpful information to this thread. Customer service does not "suck" and Fluence is a new technology so It's gonna take a minute to get everyone 80 years worth of wiring schemes. We are devoted to fulfilling that!
Denying you had a problem with your attitude was your first mistake.

You could've apologised about the diagrams being inadequate, that Fishman are working on it and just left it there. Instead you took it upon yourself to tell customers that they're wrong for being confused and that they need to learn to read.

lewis

Reaction score
I give it a few years tops, before all these artists who are apparently lauding up this "fantastical technology" at Fishman - have all left for something else.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
So I’ve only played Fishmans in strandberg guitars and wasn’t too impressed (but am wondering how much of that is due to the light chambered guitar). Do they sound better in normal guitars (ESP, Ibanez, etc)?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
So I’ve only played Fishmans in strandberg guitars and wasn’t too impressed (but am wondering how much of that is due to the light chambered guitar). Do they sound better in normal guitars (ESP, Ibanez, etc)?
They're like any pickup, they can sound good in some guitars, and not in others. I've owned 2 guitars where the moderns sounded pretty good. I've played some ibanez and jackson models that didn't sound great with them though. :shrug:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Strandbergs don't seem to do well with fishmans. They do ok with passives though. But I've found most pick ups sound a bit hallow in their guitars.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

classics and Abasi sound amazing in mine. the moderns sound terrible.
but some people really like that sound for some reason.

I've played guitars where I thought the moderns sounded good.

but a/b with the classics and Abasi the moderns lose every time.