EMG or Fishmans?

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Well I was just about to snag a KSE set from ProAudioStar since they're the only store that seems to have any sort of deals right now but then I started reading how sketchy they are and the fishman wiring was gonna be a pain in the ass since I'd need extra pots. Their offer with the rechargeable battery was pretty tempting but I decided to hold off and see what other deals I could get.

I asked the guy at don't tell the wife guitars if he had the set I was looking for and he offered me huge discounts on a full wiring harness with some of the fancy gadgets that I like. All in all I'm gonna end up with the 89xr/81twx set, an RPC, PA2, and solderless DPDTs for about 40% more than the fishmans, but no soldering or having to buy extra parts.

I definitely recommend the guy though, this is the second setup I've bought off him and he gives insane prices if you don't take his freebies, and always has literally everything they make in stock.

KSE set isn’t sketchy. They have a specific sound which works really well for Drop C riffing in a mix. It cuts the low end, controls the saturation and pushes some mids. Basically what everybody uses a tube screamer or EQ for.

It’s not the most satisfying pickup to play solo. But in a mix it sits really well with bass guitar. And that makes sense considering Adam D is also a great recording engineer.

And FWIW, voice 2 adds a shitload of low end, so it’s not like you only have the thin option.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
KSE set isn’t sketchy. They have a specific sound which works really well for Drop C riffing in a mix. It cuts the low end, controls the saturation and pushes some mids. Basically what everybody uses a tube screamer or EQ for.

It’s not the most satisfying pickup to play solo. But in a mix it sits really well with bass guitar. And that makes sense considering Adam D is also a great recording engineer.

And FWIW, voice 2 adds a shitload of low end, so it’s not like you only have the thin option.

Oh no I meant the store is sketchy, my bad. They've gotten too many bad reviews and I've never bought from them so getting a b stock would be pretty hit or miss and I've heard they suck ass for returns.

I'm gonna give it a shot the next time I mod up a guitar since the sound is really intriguing and really good, I just didn't want to mess around with a shop with mixed reviews.

jonsick

Reaction score
I have been through a fair few different pickup combinations.

For me, I always come back to the humble EMG 81/85. I did have a 57/66 set in my E-II Arrow 7 string as that's what it came with but in the end switched up for the 81-7 and 85-7. Again a lot happier with those.

My Charvel Satchell came with Fishman Fluence. I didn't hate them, but I felt them a little stiff (great technical phraseology there!). I again switched out for the humble 81/85 set and again was happier with it.

I only have a few non-EMG 81 guitars. The have some combinations of the DiMarzio Super D, the Gravity Storm neck, the SD Antiquity JB and the Invader. I'm happy with everything as it is and doubt I'll change anything else. But generally, I'm pretty settled on the EMG 81. It just works the best for me. It has that midrange hump that I really like and it keeps the low-end in check. I've never found it sterile or unnatural, I've only really found they sound a little odd with the Helix. I primarily use the Jackson SL2H for writing which has the DiMarzio Super D in it and to me the Helix is a writing tool rather than performance. So the configuration is generally all good for me.

Nothing beats the EMG 81 in a guitar for me especially if playing live. My Marshalls like them and as I'm also a Marshall guy, that's where I go.

Your mileage may vary a lot. I would suggest getting hold of a Fishman loaded guitar and trying it out along side an EMG loaded guitar. There are plenty guitars on the market with both installed stock. If you decide you want a change, I doubt you'll lose much reselling (but be aware that there are a fair few EMG fakes floating around these days, caveat emptor).

The other thing to point on is switching options. Do you really need them? Personally, I have had experience with constructing wiring in my guitars with tonnes of options, coil taps, phase splitters, this and that. One strat I butchered a pickguard with all manner of switches with almost every possible combination. And frankly I kinda really grew out of it. My custom shop Jackson has a single volume knob and a 3-way toggle, I love it! I even debated putting a neck pickup on it! But hey, I'm not unpleased that it has one - I'll put it that way.

If you are wanting to experiment with different tapping things and phasey things, then maybe the Fishman isn't a bad shout. Personally I just didn't need it. I just like alder body/maple neck guitars - EMG 81 - a few pedals - amp. But then I'm not everyone :)

Reaction score
fishmans. The diagrams they provide are straight garbage but they're clearer and tighter than the 57/66 set by a long shot ime.
What is specifically "garbage" about the diagrams? I've installed tons of these pickups into my guitars. If you know what you're doing, it's simple stuff.

Reaction score
Only issue with EMGs currently is that I'd have to do up my whole wiring as solderless which adds about $150. Anyone know if you can just pop the solderless plugs and solder them? I found an old diagram for an 89 with DPDTs but I'm not sure how well that would work going back into solderless pots.

Also is there any way to solder the low gain modes on moderns? That would totally be a win for that camp.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
What is specifically "garbage" about the diagrams? I've installed tons of these pickups into my guitars. If you know what you're doing, it's simple stuff.
I guess I'll clarify why I thought the diagrams sucked. This was a few years ago and there were significantly less diagrams available on the site, and most were for artist specific setups. I had to reference 2 different diagrams for a 1v 1tone push pull for coil split, along with a dpdt for voice 1 and 2, which was quite frustrating for what I assumed would be a relatively simple setup.
I ended up cobbling together my own diagram and everything worked fine.

And for what it's worth, there are a number of people that were frustrated with the lack of diagrams early on, and many of them (like me) have years of experience installing pickups, so it wasn't as though a lack of technical knowledge was the issue, though I appreciate the condescension. /s

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score

They are garbage and barely have any config options either

Cole Justesen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am definitely in the EMG camp. I have a Jackson Stars Soloist loaded with a Modern set and it isn't really my thing; though I can say that they sustain forever. I have tried other models in my friends guitars and they don't do it for me either. The KSE set is probably the one I have liked the best. I applaud them for doing something different though.

As far as EMGs go, I have come to really like the X preamp, and going forward they will be what I buy. I don't find a need to replace the original preamp versions in my other guitars though. When I had a Dual Rectifier, I loved the 81 through it. It was a perfect pairing! I also prefer the tone and sound of the EMGs. I feel like the extra voices with the Fishman set aren't an actual selling point. The change in voices to me sounds like what one could do with a tone and volume knob adjustment, so I literally never change the voices when using that guitar.

As far as choosing pickups, I always buy for the guitar first. I prefer the 85 or 57 in alder and ash, where an 81 or the 57 sounds great in mahogany. Outside the 57/66 set, my second favorite combination is the 81/58. The 58 doesn't get much love, but it is an excellent pickup. I can attest that an 85 in the bridge through a Dual Rectifier is pretty darn good too!

Cole

slythy

Reaction score
I use both. I have KSE fishmans in my kiesel DC6 and the Modern 7's in my kiesel DCM7. In my 2 schecter Hellraisers I have EMG 81/85's and then in my Schecter Demon 7 I have 57/66's. I feel like the fishmans have a much better range. I stick to playing metalcore and if the songs are just chuggy the EMG's work quite well but if there is any clean part of the song or anything they just seem to be lacking. The EMG's are more of a 1 trick pony where as the Fishmans just seem to have range and the ability to sould like pretty much anything.

If i was buying new pickups I 100% would keep buying fishmans and running them in the KSE build.

Swarth

Reaction score
I haven't really bought into having multi-voiced pickups yet. I don't like having push pull pots/switches for a niche sound. I love the tones from the 81, it's my all time favorite and I have tried many many high end aftermarket pickups from Dimarzio, SD, Bare knuckle, Lace etc

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got some Abasi fishmans installed on my ESP M1008. They're fucking awesome, to be honest. Got them rigged to a 3 way switch, p/p vol switches to single coil, p/p tone selects humbucking voice 1 or 2. They're incredibly versatile, and surprisingly dynamic if you dial back the volume slightly. My only gripe is that voice 1 and 2 are too similar. Slight difference in feel, but barely noticable in sound.

Angelfire

Reaction score
EMG's were my holy grail for recording, some may call it 'sterile', I call it 'versatile', you can pretty much do anything with the sound. Output is always concise.

If I may, does anyone know if the Fishman battery pack works with EMG's? Having that charging over usb would be awesome. Or the battery is only compatible with the Fishmans?

lewis

Reaction score
EMG's were my holy grail for recording, some may call it 'sterile', I call it 'versatile', you can pretty much do anything with the sound. Output is always concise.

If I may, does anyone know if the Fishman battery pack works with EMG's? Having that charging over usb would be awesome. Or the battery is only compatible with the Fishmans?
can confirm it does. :)

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Well I gotta apologize to you guys, I wanted to do a kickass demo with my recto but if you haven't heard my bitching and moaning about it yet it sold and I STILL don't have my pickup set.

I have everything sent to my university mailbox since the mail delivery to my apartment is so shitty I probably wouldn't get it but they were delivered and held up at the post office 5 miles downtown Monday. I called today and apparently the carrier to the university picked it up but hasn't brought it here yet so they're just floating in limbo. No idea when/if I'll get it and I'm PISSED. I heard the post office was slow right now but this is a little extreme.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Love the Tosin Abasi set in my 27" scale 7 string. Went with the USB on board charging option. Very articulate. That said, I love the EMG's. Also very articulate.

How much do you like the Fishman's in your other guitar? I think you can't really go wrong either way. If it were me, because I have the Fishman Tosin Abasi set in my 7 string Tele, and love them, I'd go with the EMG's because I got the Fisman's covered and I know for sure I love the EMG's. As far as which EMG's, it sounds like you have at least, if not better, opinion of the differences than I do.

Reaction score
They are garbage and barely have any config options either
Again, we have multiple variations on the site and if you can't read of follow the diagrams, take it to someone that is licensed to do so. The principals on how you would wire a Fluence guitar isn't too foreign from any other brand. Not sure why you can't figure it out?
Maybe an EMG quick connect is your speed?

Reaction score
I guess I'll clarify why I thought the diagrams sucked. This was a few years ago and there were significantly less diagrams available on the site, and most were for artist specific setups. I had to reference 2 different diagrams for a 1v 1tone push pull for coil split, along with a dpdt for voice 1 and 2, which was quite frustrating for what I assumed would be a relatively simple setup.

And for what it's worth, there are a number of people that were frustrated with the lack of diagrams early on, and many of them (like me) have years of experience installing pickups, so it wasn't as though a lack of technical knowledge was the issue, though I appreciate the condescension. /s

Reaction score

Totally understandable. During the early days, Fishman gave a few basic setups for people to digest and change if needed. The general concepts and wire descriptions are always in the install guides so it shouldn't be hard to change them for your setup. Over time, Fishman has added more guides to the site.

Matt08642

Reaction score