• JVM410H

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • E530

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

IrvOnly

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have both of these amps and am thinking of keeping just one. In your opinion, which one do you think I should keep? I like both but find myself in a moving downsize scenario and will only keep one and am unsure about which one would serve me the most as far as versatility, reliability, etc.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
Surely the JVM would win massively on versatility, with all those channels and modes?

nickgray

Reaction score
A massive 4 channel amp vs a relatively simple 2 channel pre? Not even sure why you're asking...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Apparently there's an easy mod you can do to remove the negative feedback in the power section. It's supposed to really open the amp up.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

IrvOnly

Reaction score
I cant decide, I like both of them. The JVM is more versatile but the Engl is nice sounding too and it has the benefit of being lightweight compared to the JVM.

Which one of the two would you buy if those were your options?

I would understand asking for advice of which one to buy. But which one to keep?

Keep the one you like the most. You know the music you play and the stuff you need. We don't :shrug:

Those mods are essentially the Satriani version.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I cant decide, I like both of them. The JVM is more versatile but the Engl is nice sounding too and it has the benefit of being lightweight compared to the JVM.

Which one of the two would you buy if those were your options?

Well, usage? Home? Rehearsal space? Live?

For start the E530 is just a preamp. Do you use it with its 1W SS amp? A separate poweramp, or into the Marshall head?

You could get a Kartakou Beastbox which is an basically an E530 in pedal format and use it into the Marshall's FX loop when you want that sound. But that will cost you same as you'll earn from selling the rack so not sure what's the point.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
So I checked your signature to see what's actually going on and seems like you already have a rack setup. Who cares about weight when you can't gig?

Anyway, for your versatility needs:
1) Sell them both, get a Triaxis.
2) Sell them both, get an Engl E570/580.
3) Sell them both, get a VHT GP3
4) Sell the rack, get a Victory V4 preamp for two more extra channels.

IrvOnly

Reaction score
All of the above actually, Home, rehearsal and live. Not too much gigs this year due to Covid though. Kinda sucks

I actually use the Duncan Powerstage 160 with the ENGL. Just wanted to keep one because I may be playing live again soon and there's this guy selling a Gibson Explorer interested in getting an amp and I thought of offering one of the amps to him.

Mostly wanted to get input on which one would you keep if it was you and had to let one go.

Well, usage? Home? Rehearsal space? Live?

For start the E530 is just a preamp. Do you use it with its 1W SS amp? A separate poweramp, or into the Marshall head?

You could get a Kartakou Beastbox which is an basically an E530 in pedal format and use it into the Marshall's FX loop when you want that sound. But that will cost you same as you'll earn from selling the rack so not sure what's the point.