Ergonomic seven with onboard MIDI control

Please help me evaluate viability of producing these! Choose 1 option from each set -

• Just not my thing at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like the guitar, but would never use the MIDI

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Would like to use the on-board MIDI, but don't like the guitar

• Love it all!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • -

• A production model should be less than US$2000

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I can see production models selling over US$2000

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • -

• Made to measure model should be less than US$4500

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I can see made to measure models selling over US$4500

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Sixty40

Reaction score
So I'm a friend of snapperjonno, and I've been playing his first prototype for a little over a year now as my main axe (here's a picture of the instrument in action).

It's a six-string without the MIDI features of this seven, but I can definitely testify to the tone, build quality and ergonomics that Jonno's design skills and craftsmanship bring about. The body shape and reduced weight make the whole fretboard feel closer to my body and more accessible, and this has opened up all sorts of avenues with tapping and extended right-handed techniques which I never would have considered if I'd kept playing my ES355 copy.

The quality of the craftsmanship is unquestionable; it can be seen in every detail of the construction, and it comes through in the tone of the instrument, which is direct, clear and full of depth. As a predominantly fingerstyle player, it feels exceptionally responsive to every nuance in the touch of my right hand.

Cover Cover 12-01.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
Not a fan of headless or heavy-equipped guitars but this looks beyond well done! :yesway:
And since you said all questions, mind me asking how this isn't a Stranberg rip-off? Not that I wouldn't mind more on the market, it just looks really similar and I'm curious to how those legalities worked out.

snapperjonno

Reaction score
Me neither.. actually, I guess many, myself included, did think along such lines, but just never got around to it - and I fail ti understand myself on this ;)
WRT MIDI boards, several actually do allow changing more CC parameters per button, like the FCB1010, the Gordius series, and, IIRC, my Rocktron All Access. However, this doesn't change the fact that it should be nice to not have to use the floorboard all the time ;)

Thanks for the tips on other hardware, good to know about! I guess the difference is most of the pedal boards seem to focus more on using switches to turn things on or off rather than continuous control inputs so there is usually only scope to connect one or two expression pedals as far as I've found out thus far - I was keen to increase the morphing of effects capabilities with the inclusion of 4 sliders together with the switches which I hope would increase the flexibility of the instrument...

snapperjonno

Reaction score
Wow man! Very impressive! Many, many possibilities with the midi controller built in like that.

I have no idea whats going on in there, but the guitar itself sure is sexy.

All I can say is unreal!!!!!

are you a wizard

Thanks for the positive comments guys

amazing looking instrument...

subbed...i cant wait to see a demo on this.

Can't wait to find someone to help me make one...

Absolutely insane! Excellent job with the R & D.

If you can make the fretboard with "standard" perpendicular frets... Im first in line!!!

Anything is possible (given enough time)..!

snapperjonno

Reaction score
Not a fan of headless or heavy-equipped guitars but this looks beyond well done! :yesway:
And since you said all questions, mind me asking how this isn't a Stranberg rip-off? Not that I wouldn't mind more on the market, it just looks really similar and I'm curious to how those legalities worked out.

Thanks for your comments.

I was most certainly inspired by Ola's development of his EGS guitars during 2012-13 and am extremely grateful to him for his detailed documentation of the development process on his website at the time, because it brought me back to building instruments and rekindled a lifelong dream. I began making electric guitars aged 11 and trained as an early stringed instrument maker in London in the late 80's / early 90's, making renaissance and baroque instruments, but have been waylaid into making furniture ever since instead - it's way easier to survive as it actually pays!

Since being a kid I always had a dream to invent a new instrument or push the boundaries of existing ones into new territory, and the electric guitar is the one instrument that really excites me. Technology is now finally getting incredible enough to provide a really serious toolbox for instrument makers to utilise and for me, I hope this instrument is the first step back on this journey and will lead to even more exciting developments. And at its root the development of the guitar itself is as important as the technology. What Ola and Rick Toone have been doing is developing and trying to improve what everyone is used to taking for granted in an amazing way, and I have utmost respect for that and have undoubtedly been influenced by it. I don't think the guitar has really had a lot of serious 'out-of-the-box' thinking and development until now and the more builders out there helping that development progress the better, I reckon.

I spent a lot of time developing my own design to be (what I hope is) actually quite different from the strandberg design and still work well within the constraints of being ergonomic, headless, and good looking - and to work with the MIDI electronics, and be componentised in its construction. My intention was never for the design to copy strandberg, and I hope I haven't failed in that with this prototype. Truth is, there is definitely more work to done in developing the shape and design and it will become more 'itself' as that process happens. I bought his fixed bridge hardware for this instrument and the first I made (as an exercise in construction techniques) because it is such nice hardware, but that has made mine look more similar to his. He has now suspended hardware sales as he's been so successful and too busy to support other makers - which is fair enough! - so I'll have to try alternatives or develop my own in time, neither of which are necessarily bad things.

Nice question and really appreciate your input :)

snapperjonno

Reaction score
So I'm a friend of snapperjonno, and I've been playing his first prototype for a little over a year now as my main axe (here's a picture of the instrument in action).

It's a six-string without the MIDI features of this seven, but I can definitely testify to the tone, build quality and ergonomics that Jonno's design skills and craftsmanship bring about. The body shape and reduced weight make the whole fretboard feel closer to my body and more accessible, and this has opened up all sorts of avenues with tapping and extended right-handed techniques which I never would have considered if I'd kept playing my ES355 copy.

The quality of the craftsmanship is unquestionable; it can be seen in every detail of the construction, and it comes through in the tone of the instrument, which is direct, clear and full of depth. As a predominantly fingerstyle player, it feels exceptionally responsive to every nuance in the touch of my right hand.

View attachment 50118

Hey Billy - glad to hear you're enjoying and making the most of it still - and thanks for the feedback. Hope I can get this new one to you somehow to incorporate the MIDI control into your next release. Hope the EP is flying!

(Billy is making some really interesting music over there in Melbourne as Sixty40, go check him out here )

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Dude, this is an impressive proof of concept.

I don't know if I could get a handle on all that myself, I'm a terribly simple-minded person, but it seems to be laid out in a way that really makes sense. Glad to see your vision come to fruition! :)

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
Very nice read, I love reading about peoples discoveries in passions and interests! Ya know I shouldn't be surprised that you've been at the craft from such a young age because your work truely reflects that:yesway:
Perhaps "rip-off" was the wrong terminology, I was really just trying to point out that it looked very similar (to me). Since I'm not a huge strandberg fan I'm just now realizing the curved edges and other slight differences. Overall, I'm sorry, maybe it's just my eyes or something but I meant no disrespect towards your wonderful guitar. Not that anyone, including me, would really have a problem strandberg clones considering the countless RG clones out there:lol:. I simply asked cause I recall reading something about strandberg's legal copyright and what was and wasn't a violation.
Still and super nice guitar :)

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the looks and the whole concept :yesway:
The only thing that spoils it is the pickup rings imo. Excellent execution and skills :cool:

snapperjonno

Reaction score
Very nice read, I love reading about peoples discoveries in passions and interests! Ya know I shouldn't be surprised that you've been at the craft from such a young age because your work truely reflects that:yesway:
Perhaps "rip-off" was the wrong terminology, I was really just trying to point out that it looked very similar (to me). Since I'm not a huge strandberg fan I'm just now realizing the curved edges and other slight differences. Overall, I'm sorry, maybe it's just my eyes or something but I meant no disrespect towards your wonderful guitar. Not that anyone, including me, would really have a problem strandberg clones considering the countless RG clones out there:lol:. I simply asked cause I recall reading something about strandberg's legal copyright and what was and wasn't a violation.
Still and super nice guitar :)

Thank you Nour, and absolutely no disrespect taken - I appreciate interesting and probing questions because they inspire me to make things better. I guess that's why I put this up on Sevenstring, to get as much and as varied reaction and feedback as possible, and I see none of it as negative. It's all very helpful! :yesway:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks incredible! I would also be concerned about control placement, honestly, but other than that this looks absolutely amazing!

snapperjonno

Reaction score
I like the looks and the whole concept :yesway:
The only thing that spoils it is the pickup rings imo. Excellent execution and skills :cool:

Thanks pondman. Your comment has made me realise that I never actually looked into any alternative rings, I always just assumed black plastic ones... OMG what an oversight!! :rolleyes:

Please feel free to make your suggestions, I'd be really keen to see some inspiring alternatives...

(Great work yourself by the way)

Ernesto

Reaction score
What an amazing build! I was thinking about adding midi control to my guitar so I can run loopy but eventually decided to put it in a pedal board because I need all the fingers I have for fretting and picking but your layout is excellent. I love the sliders too.

snapperjonno

Reaction score
In a blatant market research move, I've added a poll to this thread to help get an idea whether there might be a market for this instrument - I'd really appreciate if everyone who see this can please cast their votes!

Instruments like this are never going to be cheap, but I need to understand what sort of value they might sell for both as production instruments, and as fully made to measure... and whether it's even viable... is it ever going to be viable making guitars..!?! :lol:

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I think I like all of this guitar, except for the upper horn which I think looks a little ... impotent? I also doubt I'd use all the bells and whistles in this, because I'm not that creative, but I do like the concept 100%.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I like all of this guitar, except for the upper horn which I think looks a little ... impotent? I also doubt I'd use all the bells and whistles in this, because I'm not that creative, but I do like the concept 100%.
I'm okay with the upper horn for the sake of it not looking like a Strandberg and being a more unique take on a headless design, but otherwise I'm in the same boat. I think the idea is awesome and it has a lot of versatility, but otherwise I wouldn't even know where to start when trying to use this beast. It's way over my head.