Ernie Ball - Match the Master Contest

• Thread starter Webmaestro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand marketing. What I'm trying to do is feel out the parameters of the event. With the help of some other knowledgeable shredders. They have to have a scheme to eliminate entries, the riffs aren't that hard to execute, want to try to brainstorm an advantage for an entry. Otherwise it's not worth wasting my time. Anyone?

In a nutshell, the top 10 point totals of each week will have their top video reviewed by the judges. 1 winner is chosen each week. Then at the end it's either the top 100 total point receivers or top 10 from each week that are reviewed for the grand prize.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
This is a great opportunity and a really cool idea! I wonder how they'll judge it though, as the official statement they provide is kind of vague: 'videos will be judged on the following criteria: accuracy, authenticity, technique, and style.'

If that's all that's going into it, there's no way someone like Thiago Campos isn't winning this. And that's not to say he doesn't deserve to--hats off to the guy if he makes it. But the competition is going to be extremely stiff, and a lot of players have significant advantages when it comes to the recording and video production side of things. I'm sure that'll give them extra points in the style and authenticity departments at least.

I don't have access to my rig right now, so I probably won't compete. I don't think videos recorded on an iPad through iRig or whatever are going to win :lol: Fantastic opportunity though. There's some killer players on this forum, hopefully someone can take home something off the prize list!

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Frctal Audio systems: Tshirt. Really guys. XD

Haha, I thought the same thing, but they're giving away an AX8 in the grand prize.

This is a great opportunity and a really cool idea! I wonder how they'll judge it though, as the official statement they provide is kind of vague: 'videos will be judged on the following criteria: accuracy, authenticity, technique, and style.'

If that's all that's going into it, there's no way someone like Thiago Campos isn't winning this. And that's not to say he doesn't deserve to--hats off to the guy if he makes it. But the competition is going to be extremely stiff, and a lot of players have significant advantages when it comes to the recording and video production side of things. I'm sure that'll give them extra points in the style and authenticity departments at least.

I don't have access to my rig right now, so I probably won't compete. I don't think videos recorded on an iPad through iRig or whatever are going to win :lol: Fantastic opportunity though. There's some killer players on this forum, hopefully someone can take home something off the prize list!

Contest is only for residents of the 48 CONUS, so Thiago couldn't enter. Also, if you are a guitarist in a signed band, have a record deal, affiliated with any of the gear sponsors, you can't enter.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Haha, I thought the same thing, but they're giving away an AX8 in the grand prize.

Contest is only for residents of the 48 CONUS, so Thiago couldn't enter. Also, if you are a guitarist in a signed band, have a record deal, affiliated with any of the gear sponsors, you can't enter.

Guess I didn't read the fine print. Good to know!

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
I would like to make a video but I'm not eligible and only have a ....ty acoustic guitar, and also I'm not a guitar player.

I'm thinking of doing it anyway, might capo my bass really high on the neck and attempt some of his guitar work with my fingers.

redstone

Reaction score
This is a great opportunity and a really cool idea! I wonder how they'll judge it though, as the official statement they provide is kind of vague: 'videos will be judged on the following criteria: accuracy, authenticity, technique, and style.

Accuracy : you play the very same thing, same technique, same fingering.

Authenticity : you look like a young petrucci fanboy.

Technique : you play as fast as him, but you shall not debunk the Master.

Style : you look good and have big boobs.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Accuracy : you play the very same thing, same technique, same fingering.

Authenticity : you look like a young petrucci fanboy.

Technique : you play as fast as him, but you shall not debunk the Master.

Style : you look good and have big boobs.

Your "Authenticity" and "Style" requirements seem to contradict each other a little bit. But it doesn't mean you are wrong. :spock:

I think Authenticity implies you need to be playing a guitar and not the bagpipes...even if you can nail the riffs on the bagpipes.

Style does not really mean anything, which is why your definition is probably pretty accurate.

redstone

Reaction score
Your "Authenticity" and "Style" requirements seem to contradict each other a little bit.

Not at all, look, by definition Petrucci is a more authentic Petrucci now than he was before.

Young fanboy = conform to cool modern petrucci = 7 strings swag swag

Old fanboy = conform to nerdy early petrucci = 6 strings ugly shirt unfit body

Young fanboy wins.

640x360.jpg

4255341337_806533071f.jpg

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. You've thrown fuel on my GAS fire (see what I did there?) for a 752.

Sorry about that! Haha! I've had 7620s and 1527s and the 752 is my favorite. It's like the best of both of those previous 7s. Got this one from Rich over a year ago. Only thing I had to do was swap pickups (and made some action adjustments here and there). But I play it almost every single day. Workhorse guitar for sure.

And, just uploaded Track # 5 for the contest, (my fav. so far!):

Match the Master | Eric Mohring

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry about that! Haha! I've had 7620s and 1527s and the 752 is my favorite. It's like the best of both of those previous 7s. Got this one from Rich over a year ago. Only thing I had to do was swap pickups (and made some action adjustments here and there). But I play it almost every single day. Workhorse guitar for sure.

And, just uploaded Track # 5 for the contest, (my fav. so far!):

I've been wondering about that. I've owned several RG1527RB's from '06 - '08, and the neck profile on those is my absolute favorite of any 7-string Ibby I've ever played. Rich has a couple RG752's left in stock that he's trying to move, so I've been very tempted, but was wondering how the necks compared to my older 1527's.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I've been wondering about that. I've owned several RG1527RB's from '06 - '08, and the neck profile on those is my absolute favorite of any 7-string Ibby I've ever played. Rich has a couple RG752's left in stock that he's trying to move, so I've been very tempted, but was wondering how the necks compared to my older 1527's.

Rich may be better to answer that question for you. I had a 1527 from the last year they made them so it might have been different than your 06 - 08 ones. Ibanez necks always feel like home to me, so I've been happy with all of them regardless of model.

And just added Track # 2 last night:

Trying to get them all done by the end of the weekend!