ESP 2023

• Thread starter Yul Brynner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, ESP hasn't shared anything at all except a couple of sig models revealed and teased last year.
Once again, not surprising because a shiiiiiiiitton of the 2022 lineup still isn't available yet. No way in hell ESP is gonna have any kind of 2023 lineup ready when the 2022 lineup is sitll mostly MIA

This.

I don't think folks realize what a shit show ESP has been the last few years, even before the pandemic made it significantly worse.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
ESP is a bonkers company to care about branding with. I love the late 80s stuff. Is it custom shop? Is it standard series? Did they all just get worse the second the custom shop was formally introduced? Some of the best ESPs that have passed through my hands were even later standard series guitars. You just have to take it on a guitar-by-guitar basis.

I can only comment that it's clear in terms of production that they care a lot about E-II these days -- all the shops here are like 90% E-II when they used to be like 80-90% original series and custom stuff (even many years after E-II branding). Which is sad to me, because the E-IIs may be good guitars but they across the board look like crap in person.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There’s the yellow javier 8 string strat that was shown a while back.
That, the Jeff Hanneman LTD sig reissue, and the Kirk Hammett SVs (LTD for sure, not sure if it'll be ESP, ESP USA, or both for the bougie one). That's pretty much it, and probably all you should expect.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Which is sad to me, because the E-IIs may be good guitars but they across the board look like crap in person.

When you say this, do you mean they do not look good/right to you or their design choices are not your cup of tea?

I ask because for a while now I thought I was crazy or more subconsciously biased than I thought previously. I’ve seen several black E-IIs in person over the years and when I’ve compared to my USA Soloist or other gloss black high end guitars, they looked off and not as nice. Like they don’t visually pop and grab the eye as much. Not really sure how to describe it. And I’m talking gloss black vs gloss black. Not metallic or otherwise.

Reactions: drb

narad

Reaction score
When you say this, do you mean they do not look good/right to you or their design choices are not your cup of tea?

I ask because for a while now I thought I was crazy or more subconsciously biased than I thought previously. I’ve seen several black E-IIs in person over the years and when I’ve compared to my USA Soloist or other gloss black high end guitars, they looked off and not as nice. Like they don’t visually pop and grab the eye as much. Not really sure how to describe it. And I’m talking gloss black vs gloss black. Not metallic or otherwise.

Basically that. It's a bit spec wise, like they choose to do some purple black burst on natural wood. And then that looks terrible when executed that way on crap wood. But also the finish quality is very different. This is pretty apparent on the maziora finishes, which they actually do on a lot of Ltd models and just somehow doesn't look as nice as on original series, even though it's the same finish and presumably the same paint.

narad

Reaction score
Now I feel slightly less crazy. That really threw me for a loop.

It kind of reminds me when I first saw an NSX in person (etched into my memories, sometime around 1999). It was black, but the way it was black was totally different than on a $15k car. With the ESP ranges, it doesn't seem to span the whole range -- I see some just randomly not as nice finish on one model, and a different model can have a really stellar paint that makes me feel bad for spending so much on higher end ESPs. Basically I think it's at least something to watch out for if you see a catalog photo / maybe make sure to see the real thing from many angles or in video before buying.

zw470

Reaction score
That, the Jeff Hanneman LTD sig reissue, and the Kirk Hammett SVs (LTD for sure, not sure if it'll be ESP, ESP USA, or both for the bougie one). That's pretty much it, and probably all you should expect.

I saw a rumor on FB that the white Vulture was cancelled 😭

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
I hope Esp doesn't go the way of BRJ, Daemoness, Vik, and all the others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score

I'm really hoping they'll do a japanese ESP kirk V but it sounds like only LTD so far.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It kind of reminds me when I first saw an NSX in person (etched into my memories, sometime around 1999). It was black, but the way it was black was totally different than on a $15k car. With the ESP ranges, it doesn't seem to span the whole range -- I see some just randomly not as nice finish on one model, and a different model can have a really stellar paint that makes me feel bad for spending so much on higher end ESPs. Basically I think it's at least something to watch out for if you see a catalog photo / maybe make sure to see the real thing from many angles or in video before buying.

I feel this. I have an ESP Ultratone that's just black, but it's a really nice black. Like, I didn't think black finishes could vary so much but it just looks great. I've had a similar experience with other ESP Original models. I don't know what they're doing differently with them, but the finish work is always top-notch.

Reactions: drb

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I feel this. I have an ESP Ultratone that's just black, but it's a really nice black. Like, I didn't think black finishes could vary so much but it just looks great. I've had a similar experience with other ESP Original models. I don't know what they're doing differently with them, but the finish work is always top-notch.
I'm so glad I'm not crazy. I picked up an ESP M-II and I'm almost mesmerised by how a flat, gloss black finish can look "well made". I thought it was just because it was my peak bucket list guitar but now maybe it's just that good!

I'm sad to hear E-II aren't as good, though. Gonna have to hunt some down in shops and check em out.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have 2 EII 6 strings. The faded black horizon and it was great out of the box. After a set up plays smooth as glass across the board. Fit finish and all. I did see one that was awful though. But I’ve only seen 2. With my EII horizon 3 I had to send the first one back. Got the second one and it’s great player. Fret finish and all. The first reindeer blue had oddly uneven frets (that seemed like a whole new fret job was needed) and a lot of finish slop here and there mostly on the lower horn. Looked more like an TD. I felt being brand new that was unacceptable. I was a bit surprised but sent back to seller and I bought elsewhere and blamed the original seller for sending mE a new “used” guitar (MF…..). Although that vendor does have a rep for that it might have just been a bum as guitar. Seems like a lot of things like this are happing across the board on many brand names. Maybe they are rushing production and not allow finish and wood, etc to set. Either way that is Unacceptable. Really I didnt get such a great response from esp cs like I thought. It felt like I was bothering the person I was talking to. Ehh… Either way I like some of the models and have no problem sending It back. It is just a pita and bs to have to though. All brands have their respective issues but with esp/Ltd taking such a huge step in the market you’d think qc would be a bit better. I laugh when I se the ”inspected in the us‘ on those.. What‘d they do on ins? May say “oh here;s another jacked up one. Send it to the seller” I digress
Not bashing esp at all I own many and just bought a JR-7 today. Just saying that act needs to step up a bit. Oh, and my next one will more than likely be the EII eclipse 7.

Cheers

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'll keep posting nice things about my E-IIs. I actually think they look better in person than in pics. And I have Original Series, USA, and a Navigator around the house and the E-IIs are killer IMHO.

3-BF7-B78-C-9-E76-4844-9-C24-77135314-FB44.jpg

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very nice guitars cardinal. I agree with you. I love my EII’s as well. Although I’ve never owned an original esp. That natural black fade is the same finish on one of my horizons.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Very nice guitars cardinal. I agree with you. I love my EII’s as well. Although I’ve never owned an original esp. That natural black fade is the same finish on one of my horizons.
I just wish they did the finish with the teardrop burst because that's the only correct burst shape for an LP.

DeathCubeK

Reaction score
I'll keep posting nice things about my E-IIs. I actually think they look better in person than in pics. And I have Original Series, USA, and a Navigator around the house and the E-IIs are killer IMHO.

3-BF7-B78-C-9-E76-4844-9-C24-77135314-FB44.jpg
These are the exact two ESPs that I want. I don't even care about the lack of SS frets, really. When am I even going to refret with a new guitar? 5 years? 10?