ESP 2024

Zado

Reaction score
I recall ESP selling discounted factory 2nds, this should have been one of those honestly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'll take it as a B stock if that's the only blemish. 20 seconds with some dye will fix it forever. (WTF ESP, though)

Definitely black pearloid binding on the neck.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, man, I hadn't realized it had pearloid binding, I thought it was just all kinds of fucked lol. Even on the ESP website it doesn't mention it, but can be clearly be seen in their stock pics.

I didn't realize this either!! Somewhat of a false alarm. Looks were deceiving as the literature I saw and the description on the retail site made no reference to it. I've edited my post.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Anyone know if they actually switched all E-IIs to stainless frets? The announcement is still on the website, but the product pages for the old models on both the US and Japanese site don't include SS frets, and some with 2024 serial numbers have been hitting Digimart without including them either in the description.

EDIT: I just sent their customer service the question through their website. Maybe they will surprise me with a clear answer.

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I like pearloid binding, but it yellows too easily in my experience. A lot of instrument plastics do unfortunately. Some folks might be like, but muh vintage, and that's fine. It's just not what I prefer personally. Just be glad it's not abalone.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I like pearloid binding, but it yellows too easily in my experience. A lot of instrument plastics do unfortunately. Some folks might be like, but muh vintage, and that's fine. It's just not what I prefer personally. Just be glad it's not abalone.

I think I like it better than the binding on some of the rg prestige models where it arrives already yellowed.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I think I like it better than the binding on some of the rg prestige models where it arrives already yellowed.
I wanna see that. Sounds messed up. I know my Ibanez guitars all have cream or natural binding because I learned my lesson from other guitars. They recently made a RG that was trans satin green with a maple board, and I think white binding. The satin finish and expected poor persistence of the white binding to resist turning pee colored made me keep my cash. Maybe I made a smart decision for once.

I think either way if you smoke around them and/or subject them to UV it's going to happen pretty quickly.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanna see that. Sounds messed up. I know my Ibanez guitars all have cream or natural binding because I learned my lesson from other guitars. They recently made a RG that was trans satin green with a maple board, and I think white binding. The satin finish and expected poor persistence of the white binding to resist turning pee colored made me keep my cash. Maybe I made a smart decision for once.

I think either way if you smoke around them and/or subject them to UV it's going to happen pretty quickly.

Could be. I sent the guitar back anyway and sold the other. I'm checking my phone for photos. Both on RG652AHMFX's. I wouldn't say it was like stark yellow, but way more yellow than I expected on the cream side of things.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of QC, I have an LTD EX-7 due to arrive in a day or two and I plan to make an extensive post about the condition of it which is something I plan to do with acquisitions going forward. Photos, measurements, etc.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Anyone know if they actually switched all E-IIs to stainless frets? The announcement is still on the website, but the product pages for the old models on both the US and Japanese site don't include SS frets, and some with 2024 serial numbers have been hitting Digimart without including them either in the description.

EDIT: I just sent their customer service the question through their website. Maybe they will surprise me with a clear answer.
If I recall correctly, they mentioned that all new E-II models would have SS frets, but not retrospective to older models.

Which makes it surprising that 2024 models are listed without them. But maybe it’s just a case of poor attention to detail in the description?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

You wont get a clear answer, I already asked, lol.

From what I gather, theoretically, any E-II made in 2024 should have SS frets. Now, I now a lot of retailers getting in 'new stock' but the year is like 2022 or 2023 but they'll say 'SS frets' because they rarely pay attention to the serial number.

That said, even if it is a serial ending in ...243 I would confirm with the store that they are SS if you receive the guitar and they are not SS then you are able to return the guitar.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
You wont get a clear answer, I already asked, lol.

From what I gather, theoretically, any E-II made in 2024 should have SS frets. Now, I now a lot of retailers getting in 'new stock' but the year is like 2022 or 2023 but they'll say 'SS frets' because they rarely pay attention to the serial number.

That said, even if it is a serial ending in ...243 I would confirm with the store that they are SS if you receive the guitar and they are not SS then you are able to return the guitar.
ESP just responded:

Models produced in 2024 and beyond should have stainless steel frets equipped, guitars produced before 2024 are not subject to the change in spec.

neurosis

Reaction score
ESP just responded:

guitars produced before 2024 are not subject to the change in spec.
no kidding :D ESP please retroactively fit all your guitars with SS frets. We want indemnification for all 1999 LTD Eclipses... now!

Back on topic I do like the percoid binding. As long as it's dark on dark. The Alexi Black comes to mind. I do not like it on white guitars. These TB7s seems to have finish flaws. At least the ones I have seen. Then again, all of them were used so take that for what it is.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score