ESP Custom Club!

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
How long would an order take?

I get hit with customs and import fees of about 10 to 25%. So inconsistent though.

Not sure, but saving that much is worth the wait IMO. And wouldn't you pay the customs and import for the Reverb guy as well?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Yes it does. There is one on Reverb. He wanted $6,000 USD 2 months ago and refused to sell it to me for $5,300 back then so I bought something else then. He now has it at $5,500 USD. I am torn between that and a new Strat Kamikaze 1 with no chance to audition either right now. I definitely want one or the other.

I have heard some (2 or 3) say the 45 mm width and flat radius on the Stars feels weird, but I always hear the neck 43 mm with the nut (with the 45 mm neck) on the Kamikaze Strat plays awesome. Could have just been a couple of picky bastards reporting that about the Star.

I am open to purchase an old Kamikaze as well, but I just don't have to pay import fees and customs on the new one if I purchase it from HiendGuitars here in Indo.

View attachment 110802
View attachment 110803
Does the 2mm really matter that much? Person to person sure, but I’ve never known the width of the neck of any of my guitars, and it’s never bothered me one bit.

I won’t speak out of line, since you have decades of playing time on me, so perhaps it’s something that comes from playing hundreds of guitars, but I’m sure it won’t be unplayable, and if it is? Just flip it. Someone else WILL want it.

BaliGod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure, but saving that much is worth the wait IMO. And wouldn't you pay the customs and import for the Reverb guy as well?

With Reverb for sure which is why I have been buying new from Jakarta and why I have only shipped 1 of my guitars over from the US since I moved here. About to start paying friends and family to bring my gear over as carry on and checked luggage now that borders are open.

I want to order from Japan though as prices and selection is killer. HiendGuitars in Jakarta, however, gives me discounts and shipping from Jakarta to Bali is about $30 USD versus $300 to $700 shipping from anywhere else to Bali.

Shipping to here is sketchy to the point of being comical. Unless I use Fed Ex which is expensive, there is high chances of items getting lost, taking 1 to 2 months or shippers literally holding your stuff until you pay them off to get your package.

BaliGod

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does the 2mm really matter that much? Person to person sure, but I’ve never known the width of the neck of any of my guitars, and it’s never bothered me one bit.

I won’t speak out of line, since you have decades of playing time on me, so perhaps it’s something that comes from playing hundreds of guitars, but I’m sure it won’t be unplayable, and if it is? Just flip it. Someone else WILL want it.

That was just some comments I read that made me think the Star must be super wide, Classical guitar wide, for people to make such comments. My Les Paul and RG620 are 43s and they do not seem unusually wide at all.

I play classical and like wide, flat necks. I can feel subtle differences between 1 or 2 mm nut sizes, but the mainly if the neck taper is less and remains thinner through fret 24. Radius also impacts the tight/cramped feel.

ESP says the Hanneman has a 42 mm nut, but it always felt tighter to me. I just measured and it is tighter. The Hanneman is 40/41 at the nut and about 2 mm less at fret 24 than my other ESPs. I also think it is a 350 radius which makes it feel tighter, but cannot confirm with strings on it.

The Hanneman feels tight, but something about it being close together makes it feel a little more effortless to play fast.

Alexi Laiho v Hanneman Width at the Nut

44DC920B-0065-49A8-BF28-4237B5534FFB.jpeg
E0D5FF91-22E1-473E-973A-0151DDDC5EFA (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
That was just some comments I read that made me think the Star must be super wide, Classical guitar wide, for people to make such comments. My Les Paul and RG620 are 43s and they do not seem unusually wide at all.

I play classical and like wide, flat necks. I can feel subtle differences between 1 or 2 mm nut sizes, but the mainly if the neck taper is less and remains thinner through fret 24. Radius also impacts the tight/cramped feel.

ESP says the Hanneman has a 42 mm nut, but it always felt tighter to me. I just measured and it is tighter. The Hanneman is 40/41 at the nut and about 2 mm less at fret 24 than my other ESPs. I also think it is a 350 radius which makes it feel tighter, but cannot confirm with strings on it.

The Hanneman feels tight, but something about it being close together makes it feel a little more effortless to play fast.

Alexi Laiho v Hanneman Width at the Nut

View attachment 110810View attachment 110812
Man that Hanneman must be an absolute dream to play!