ESP Eclipse II Standard *Buzz Issue*

RuxinCaldwell

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've owned an ESP Eclipse Standard II for a couple years now, and ever since I owned it, and got it set up for the tuning I play in (Drop A# with 13-59 gauge strings), the thickest E string (well, A#) buzzes like absolute hell. Like I mean it isn't even playable. I'm considering selling it due to the fact that no guitar tech has been able to fix the problem. The guitar was "B-Stock" when I bought it "new" for $1100 off of eBay, Christmas of 2010. Maybe it had something wrong with it to be a B-Stock?

I just cannot wrap my mind around this. Why does every single string play and sound flawlessly, but the top string isn't even usable due to the immense amount of buzz? The ONLY two things I could think of replacing that would solve this issue is a new bridge, or new nut.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mniel8195

Reaction score
Check to see if the neck is warped. If it buzzes on open strings you need a new nut. Check to see if the TOm bridge is anchored properly or if it is pulling out of the guitar. Has the guitar been re fretted? That's hard to get such a short scale guitar to play in drop with such a small gauge string. I think you need to rethink allot of things.

RuxinCaldwell

Reaction score
Check to see if the neck is warped. If it buzzes on open strings you need a new nut. Check to see if the TOm bridge is anchored properly or if it is pulling out of the guitar. Has the guitar been re fretted? That's hard to get such a short scale guitar to play in drop with such a small gauge string. I think you need to rethink allot of things.
It buzzes every where on the top string, open or any fret. The neck isn't warped either, we checked that. I wouldn't think the guitar would need to be "re-fretted" seeing as it is barely two years old with minimum use. You consider 59-13 small gauges for Drop B flat? I have tried to sell the guitar for a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme with a longer scale length but how to sell a guitar that plays like crap?

mniel8195

Reaction score
Its probably a combination of a low nut and a low saddle. Those saddles can be ground down if using a thicker string.

madrigal77

Reaction score
Tuned too low/too thick strings. Try thinner strings and tuning up, and see if that helps. If you want to tune that low, you really need a baritone guitar.

RuxinCaldwell

Reaction score
Tuned too low/too thick strings. Try thinner strings and tuning up, and see if that helps. If you want to tune that low, you really need a baritone guitar.
I've started coming to this conclusion myself. I've always been a sucker for Les Paul style bodies, so I never took into consideration the scale length of guitars. Now that I play more in lower tunings, I've considered it. But I have had zero luck finding any good baritone guitars for metal that doesn't cost a fortune.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
But I have had zero luck finding any good baritone guitars for metal that doesn't cost a fortune.

00000006365.jpg

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I tuned my Xtone down to A# with 12-56s and didn't have any problems. Can you see if the buzz is coming from a specific place, like the nut or the bridge? Or if there's something loose hiding somewhere - maybe the truss rod's rattling.

If there's buzzing on the open string, it's gotta be coming from somewhere. My guess is the nut's not cut wide enough for the 59. You could get that slot filed down, or just get a new nut cut for the guitar from scratch. My suggestion is get a reputable tech/luthier/repair guy - if he thinks it's coming from the nut slot, have him cut a new nut with the heavier strings in mind. That's an inexpensive fix that can make a world of difference.

If all the notes are buzzing, that probably means either the bridge slot isn't big enough for the low string, or there's a high fret somewhere high up on the fretboard. Buzzing in general has probably gotta be a surface issue, so it should never be too expensive a fix. If it's coming from the bridge, you could get the saddle slot filed out more, or replace the saddles for relatively cheap. If it's a high fret, it wouldn't be too too much to get it levelled, and it would be worth getting a total levelling and dressing.

You've got a great guitar. I can't see it needing anything more expensive than a fret levelling and dressing, and IMHO it's more than worth it on the guitar you've got :yesway:

madrigal77

Reaction score
I've started coming to this conclusion myself. I've always been a sucker for Les Paul style bodies, so I never took into consideration the scale length of guitars. Now that I play more in lower tunings, I've considered it. But I have had zero luck finding any good baritone guitars for metal that doesn't cost a fortune.
Agile make some that are cheap:

Agile AL-2000 627 Black Flame - RondoMusic.com
Agile AL-3010SE 627 EB Flat Black - RondoMusic.com
Agile Septor Pro 627 EB EMG Tribal Red - RondoMusic.com

You'd have to upgrade the pickups/hardware on the AL models, but they are well made.

I'd try thinner strings and tuning up first though and see how that works.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Bjorn-Gelotte.jpg

Just sayin'.

And don't In Flames, Amon Amarth and a lot of those dudes play Les Pauls and Explorers in drop B flat/A#? Seriously it isn't the scale. Get some quality saddles from Graph Tech and Get a new Nut cut for the strings you use. If the neck isn't warped and your truss rod is adjusted correctly then it has to be a high fret or the saddles or nut. I agree with the other guys.

I Voyager

Reaction score
And don't In Flames, Amon Amarth and a lot of those dudes play Les Pauls and Explorers in drop B flat/A#?

Hatebreed, Cannibal Corpse (Rob Barrett used to use Les Pauls back in the day), Carcass, etc. The list goes on.

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
I'm considering selling it due to the fact that no guitar tech has been able to fix the problem.

Take it to a more qualified tech. Not every tech can fix every problem but if the tech can't trouble shoot the problem and at least tell you why, find a better tech

McBrain

Reaction score
Don't really get the advice to get thinner strings. I've used a 60 and 62 for my 24.75" guitars in b-standard without any buzzing issues whatsoever.

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
I had an ESP LTD (25.5 scale) and used a 13-62 light baritone set on it for drop A#, and it was decently tight. No buzzing issues.

I would recommend getting a much thicker bottom string (maybe a .68) and have a new nut cut specifically for those strings.

madrigal77

Reaction score
Thinner strings and higher tuning are such a cheap thing to try, it's what he should do first. I mean, it's $5 for a new set of strings. ESP have xtra jumbo frets, so you can sometimes get buzzing if the strings are too thick.

I didn't bother suggesting stuff like action, because he said it had been gone over by a decent tech. One would think the first thing he would have checked is the action in a case of buzzing.

arcadia fades

Reaction score
I currently play a caparison angelus m3b thats the same 24.75" scale and I play in Drop B/A# with 12-60 gauge strings which has zero issues at all luckily and plays great in this tuning. I've also owned an ESP Eclipse in the past too and had the same issue you currently have except from the G string buzzing on open notes. It seems to be an issue with the nut or the angle of the strings on the headstock that may cause it, would be my bet.

Latest posts