ESP NAMM 2020 thread

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
SG-style bodies are essentially single-cuts, in terms of how they hang. Single cuts generally do poorly unless the bass side extends as far down the neck as an Abasi, for example. Add an extended-scale to that, and you've thrown another wrench into the works, in terms of balance.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
SG-style bodies are essentially single-cuts, in terms of how they hang. Single cuts generally do poorly unless the bass side extends as far down the neck as an Abasi, for example. Add an extended-scale to that, and you've thrown another wrench into the works, in terms of balance.

It’s why BCR mockingbirds neck dive so much. Tiny upper horn.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score

Except the EC401B balances perfectly. Supposedly Vipers balance better if you move the strap button to the neck joint but no chance I was drilling an extra hole in a $1600 guitar. Just sell it and move on.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
https://www.espguitars.com/pages/2020-product-preview

original.png

original.png

original.png

original.png

original.png
original.png

original.png
original.png

original.png

original.png

Hell ya black metal 7 string. Do want

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score

SGs are *worse* than most singlecuts, if anything. Les Pauls and Telecasters don't have much neck dive (admittedly with LPs some of that is due to the sheer weight). I don't know about their 7-string Eclipses but the 6 I had years back balanced just fine.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
SGs are *worse* than most singlecuts, if anything. Les Pauls and Telecasters don't have much neck dive (admittedly with LPs some of that is due to the sheer weight). I don't know about their 7-string Eclipses but the 6 I had years back balanced just fine.

SG's have thinneer bodies, so that makes sense.

Telecasters usually don't because of their tiny headstocks, but a 27" telecaster I tried once was the worst-feeling guitar I've ever played, and a part of it was the neck-dive.

The ESP Viper is often better than an SG because they are so much thicker/heavier than a typical SG.

Politics of Ecstasy

OG Shredder
Reaction score
I don’t know what SG you guys played but aside from the chunky Gibson neck the guitar is a dream

in fact at one point I thought it was the most efficient design , except I wished it was neck thru over set neck

but playing wise it’s awesome and SOOOOOO thin and light , the neck is way heavier than the body

I love the SG aesthetic FWIW besides a great guitar

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I can confirm. I love my SG, it's fucking stellar, but the neck dive is real. Worst neck dive of ANY guitar i have ever owned.

I really want to get my hands on an ESP VIPER and see if the wider body adds enough mass to make an difference.

Edit: just realized I missed spudmonkey's post somehow. Thanks, spud.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
I had a 60's tribute SG with P90s. Was ok balance wise.
Have a Viper baritone and a standard. The bari has peg on the horn and no neck dive.
The standard mostly feels awkward with back side peg. I bought extra long drillbits to relocate to the horn but haven't gotten around to that yet.

MulletRide

Reaction score
Are all LTD Deluxes made in Indonesia now? I really like the new M-1000 HT with burl top and Fishmans.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
What's still MIK?

I've only run into MII, 1000 series EC, MH, SN, etc.
Weirdly the new MH fade series from last year was a mixed bag. The ones with a roasted maple neck were made in Indonesia while the ones with a normal maple neck were MIK. Same model, same specs, but some made in different factories. Kinda BS they don't disclose this since you won't know what you're buying if bought online.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Weirdly the new MH fade series from last year was a mixed bag. The ones with a roasted maple neck were made in Indonesia while the ones with a normal maple neck were MIK. Same model, same specs, but some made in different factories. Kinda BS they don't disclose this since you won't know what you're buying if bought online.

Definitely makes you appreciate dealers like Sweetwater who disclose serial number, and often pictures, at point of sale.

DGCL is that way too. As is Ibanez Rules, but they're more of a specialty vendor anyway.

Latest posts