ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wish they'd just stop making HH horizons. Or stop putting all he nice quilt tops on the HH ones. A horizon is in its idealized form when it's HS, with a pickup ring around the humbucker. Or even better, slant S with 27 frets.
I didn't want single coils, my Strat has those. Plus my Horizon's Humbuckers have coil splits

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Looking into being an ESP owner soon, saw this, which looks like a late 80s 48th st NYC lawsuit mirage deluxe. Has had a refret and has an original floyd instead of the original sinclair trem, and duncans. Seems to be in ok condition with a ton of paint swirl, and not too many chips and dings. Definitely a players guitar and not clean

Asking $1999 for it, but I feel thats a bit steep, even in todays market. What do people think? Could get the LTD 87 series mirage for half the price new...
Seems about right to me.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I didn't want single coils, my Strat has those. Plus my Horizon's Humbuckers have coil splits

Then a model that actually looks decent with HH, like the M2, is the better choice. Horizons were designed around HS and it shows when the neck hum messes up showing off all the cool carves in that area.

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Then a model that actually looks decent with HH, like the M2, is the better choice. Horizons were designed around HS and it shows when the neck hum messes up showing off all the cool carves in that area.
I kind of like the HH horizon look, it’s true that you trade a bit of detail in the neck, but the dual humbuckers balance the design out. I’m not the biggest pickup ring fan, but on a horizon I’ll accept them. Imo still the nicest superstrat body shape out there

Creature

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What Schecter is that? I love it man!

Thanks! It's a USA custom shop Sunset Classic that I bought last year from Drum City Guitaland, who had it listed as new-old stock...which is crazy because it was made in 1999 according to the serial number.

I tried digging for information about its origins, but could only find a story about how there was an order for a handful of custom shop guitars by a store that went out of business. Then apparently they were kept in storage by a family member or something? I don't know, but I figured DCGL wouldn't be listing it as new if it wasn't true so I bought it, asked them if this story was true and they replied with "It’s new, old stock. I will get my tech to set it up for you. 010-046 ok?"

I'd love to know the whole story, but at the end of the day I wanted the guitar regardless of how it came to be. Here's an album, didn't want to invade the ESP thread with a Schecter, even though they're "related".

Last edited:

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The looks never bothered me, it's been a solid guitar

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Only thing I’d like to see on M/H/MH’s is the carve Jackson is doing in the back of the lower horn for better upper fret access. Have always wanted something like that and am glad it’s getting popular.

Last edited:

Creature

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only thing I’d like to see on M/H/MH’s is the carve Jackson is doing in the back of the power horn for better upper fret access. Have always wanted something like that and am glad it’s getting popular.

Had to look that up, but yeah I definitely dig that.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
What kind of carve is that? My original M-II DX has this a special carve back there, it does help
IMG_20220410_111829.jpg

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
LTD%20M-401.jpg

Well, I got rid of my Takada shop M-2 and my 08 Standard Eclipse, then downgraded into M-401. Let me tell you there is not much wrong with this guitar; I swapped an OFR trem arm, did my setup and it's now super comfortable to play. The neck feel of poly coat is inferior and it weights a bit more than my ESPs, but honestly the differences are very small. The guitar is a placeholder while my RG is in a repair shop.

That said, I've kinda given up on ESP almost altogether. If a mint maple fretboard bolt-on M-2 comes along or a perfect Eclipse, I'm game, but other than that I've pretty much outgrown ESP. They're certainly not bad, but there is always something that bugs me - mostly it's the neck profiles. ESPs are alwas almost great, but not just quite there. As much as I love the brand, the looks, the image etc. Ibanez is just better to play. For me anyway.. Sorry :D