ESP USA - Not taking orders anymore?

• Thread starter Sir_Shreddington
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarthV

Reaction score
Before covid their tops were usually in the good-to-great range. Since then, lots of stinkers. I really wish I had ordered a solid color on my Eclipse, but at the time we had no idea they would drop off so badly. My “quilt” but not really a normal quilt top looks pretty wild if the light hits it just right and very mild in any other light.

That's spectacular!

wiretap

Reaction score
They were a good value before, I love mine (2017 TE), but the prices are stupid expensive now. I would be ordering a full custom from the CS if I were going to spend 5k. Though with inflation everywhere, I’d hate to see what a CS order is these days. Should have pulled the trigger on that custom XJ I got a quote for pre COVID.

I’ve seen some posts on this forum from people saying they were getting quotes from Japan around $10k and up for rather basic customs with no crazy changes. I believe the custom shop is trying to curb the volume of orders with super high prices (been told they’re pretty far behind)

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I’ve seen some posts on this forum from people saying they were getting quotes from Japan around $10k and up for rather basic customs with no crazy changes. I believe the custom shop is trying to curb the volume of orders with super high prices (been told they’re pretty far behind)

Just going to say, don't trust random people talking about quotes. Quotes come through dealers. Dealers take a quote, tack on some arbitrary amount of profit, and that is the number people start posting on the internet. I can tell you that ESP the actual shop has raised custom shop prices by about 20% over the covid years, but with the currency exchange, if you are paying in USD, the guitar is functionally cheaper to order than it has been. A basic custom is 800-900k JPY.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sell2792

Reaction score
Just going to say, don't trust random people talking about quotes. Quotes come through dealers. Dealers take a quote, tack on some arbitrary amount of profit, and that is the number people start posting on the internet. I can tell you that ESP the actual shop has raised custom shop prices by about 20% over the covid years, but with the currency exchange, if you are paying in USD, the guitar is functionally cheaper to order than it has been. A basic custom is 800-900k JPY.

Give or take $6000 USD? That's actually not too bad. I might need to plan a trip to Japan to buy a Navigator on the cheap.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Who's gonna pay $4,900 for an ESP USA Horizon II when you could spend an extra $500 and get an ESP Original Horizon II?
The “entry” OS Horizon-1 is $4999, and you can find them on sale frequently. I have the Titan Metal, and it’s literally the most perfectly built guitar I own. Flawless manufacturing and details. I’ve never heard of an OS having issues or flaws other than shipping and handling stuff, unlike the USA’s which we’ve read about here and elsewhere. Japanese made OS or Custom are definitely an investment but 100% guaranteed awesome and worth it.

Zado

Reaction score
Before covid their tops were usually in the good-to-great range. Since then, lots of stinkers. I really wish I had ordered a solid color on my Eclipse, but at the time we had no idea they would drop off so badly. My “quilt” but not really a normal quilt top looks pretty wild if the light hits it just right and very mild in any other light.View attachment 138840

It's a weird kind of quilt, but honestly it looks quite cool, especially compared to other meh tops like this
20230602-dsc08772.jpg

With that said, there are very few builders who always deliver the highest grade tops in the market. Even PRS falls short at times, and I suspect it happens most often when the guitars get shipped oversea.

Example
IMG-1267.jpg

IMG-2981.jpg

muncie-10-luglio-2023-mostra-di-chitarra-paul-reed-smith-prs-guitars-produce-un-ampia-gamma-di-chitarre-bassi-e-amplificatori-2rbyk21.jpg

IMG-3042.jpg

First pic results mainly from italian shops.

Same for Schecter USA lately
311580086_542380891220538_7490359606982929993_n.jpg

or7ddeopmwfhs7pyceel.jpg

mbvy2yhojonmmyenblzx.jpg

(USA Shop)

102416234_1390684577785571_8246572475298805671_n.jpg

Last edited: