Exploiting Dime's image/name

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
oh... yeah FMIC fucked up Jackson... although some good things came also...

You're right on both counts. Fender has definitely improved the import Jackson line. There is at least the potential for great new things out of the USA custom shop, though increasing quality control issues and wait times are becoming a problem, along with really stupid price increases. But there is also a huge culture clash between Jackson's traditional way of doing things and Fender's way, which includes marketing. Maybe Jackson would be bigger today if they had spent more effort on marketing over the last 20 years, but there was something really cool about the fact that they didn't, because the guitars pretty much spoke for themselves. To get back on-topic, Jackson has marketed its connection to Randy Rhoads all along, but not in a heavy-handed way until after the Fender takeover. It's kind of weird to see a sudden marketing push based around a guy who has been dead for 25 years.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
While I would not be surprised, I doubt that that is the case. Dime was touring with those Krank stacks for about a year with Damageplan, and was planning on recording the next album with them.

It's definitely NOT the case. I actually saw a video of Dime at Krank HQ working on them for the design of the Krankenstein and they had video of the photo shoots as well where he was shot under all different lights and smoke etc. making it look like him with the Revolution when they were finishing up the Krankenstein, so it's not photoshopped in the least. I do, however, agree that they are hardcore abusing the fact that he DID play their amps at all, just like the 10,000 Dean models these days. Makes me very sad as Dime was definitely an inspiration to me.... Floods is possibly my favorite Pantera song ever. :agreed:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
It's par for the course. I would actually be surprised if the Dean and Krank didn't exploit the name and image. This is pretty extensive. They are really going nuts with it. The thing that annoys me the most is how expensive the Razorbacks are. I actually like the guitars.

Reaction score
It makes me sick!
I mean ,making tribute guitars ,and honoring his memory has nothing to do with creating new models ,and represent it if it was his choice of instrument/gear etc.
The Hendrix thing is even worse!Energy drinks ,new effect pedals (Digitech) and stuff.
I know that respect is not a well known word in business ,but Dean and Krank had personla contact to Dime..Why to exploit is so shameless and cruel!

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
WE've talked about this before, and I've personally have been on both sides of the fence in this issue. My current thought is, so long as the Abbots approve then I will not let it bother me ALOT. This is not to say that it won't bother me to a degree, just that it Abbott family is cool with it, then I'm prepared to look the other way.

'Course, any amount of "bother" is enough for me to spend my money elsewhere.

Vinne strikes me as a pretty shrewd business-guy, but he ALSO clearly loved his brother. If he can find space in his heart and mind where those two sides can co-exist, then it all fine by me.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree that it's gone a little too far. I've always respected him and i've always been a fan of him and Pantera too. I noticed it alot though. :agreed:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything said on the first page. They're acting like he's still alive, still in Damageplan, and that he's playing their amps, none of which are true. I would even think it was silly if they said "Dimebag Darrel, former guitar for Damageplan and Pantera, used Krank Amps." It seems some people have no respect for the dead. :noplease:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't even mind so much that there are a million different Razorbacks, but why the hell is there a Razorback bass and a Razorback seven-string? Dime didn't play either and if he was alive I don't think he would have put his name to either. Dime's name has been so thoroughly linked to the Razorback, not least by unscrupulous advertising, that there's no way in hell this could be construed as anything less than cashing in on his death.

I remember hearing that at one point MAB was taking the last clothes Dimebag wore around to clinics in a glass case. I really hope that isn't true.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
We live in a money driven world people. None of this should come as that much of a shock to anyone. People do what makes money. If Dime's name makes someone money then they are going to exploite it. It sucks but that is what we live in. There isn't much that isn't blown up and sucked dry to make money. the problem I have with most of Dime's guitars is that they cost a grand and most have a licenced floyd. Seriously- what the fuck. A grand and we can't even get a real floyd on there? Like dime used licenced floyds.:nuts:

Murder Soul

Reaction score
Chris, you may remember the thread I made about Dean exploiting Dimes name. I also have an issue with this. However, with Krank, Dime wanted to change his sound, so I guess they can morally advertise his name. Heres an interview with him using Kranks:
YouTube - Dimebag Darrell's final encounter with Guitar One Magazine

If Dime was wanting to Change his sound, I wonder how long it would take before he quit using Seymour Duncan and Bill Lawrence, and possibly Dean.

Dime's USA models wouldn't cost $3700 if he were alive (double what his Washburn USA models cost). Seems like shameless profiteering and exploitation to me.
YES! If you ever watch any DIME interviews it says he always loved the USA deans. Why would Dime want his name Plastered to foreign Deans? Also, on a thread awhile ago someone posted for a Jap magazine of Dimes drawings for Dean. Didn't dime invent his V or not?

I was at a Michael Angelo Batio guitar clinic yesterday (I'll make a thread about it in a minute), and they had a raffle going on for a life-size cardboard cutout of Dimebag. So, I thought that was kind of weird. I understand that MAB is a Dean Endorser, but it seems like Dime is being used everywhere now.

Yeah, it's probably because MAB is bought out by Dean. This type if stuff makes me sick.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Holy shit, that's bad taste.

I can understand a Marshall amp ... But a mothaf*ckin drink?!? I don't get this.

I think his family owns the rights to the name now. It's a money thing. Someone was offered an amount of money for use of the name and accepted.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Pretty sure Dean made the "Dime V" because Corey wanted it.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't even mind so much that there are a million different Razorbacks, but why the hell is there a Razorback bass and a Razorback seven-string? Dime didn't play either and if he was alive I don't think he would have put his name to either. Dime's name has been so thoroughly linked to the Razorback, not least by unscrupulous advertising, that there's no way in hell this could be construed as anything less than cashing in on his death.

This is a bit of a different scenario, though, because Dime created the design. He owned the rights to the shape, and Dean has no right to sell that shape without Dime's name on it (ensuring that Dime's family gets the proper royalties). It is the same reason that Jackson has a Rhoads bass and Gibson has a Les Paul bass.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
YES! If you ever watch any DIME interviews it says he always loved the USA deans. Why would Dime want his name Plastered to foreign Deans?

Dimebag was very conscious of cost. He wanted all of his fans to be able to afford a Dimebag guitar, and was insistent that there be cheaper import models. This is also very similar to Les Paul, who was the driving force behind Epiphone introducing an LP import line.

Nah.. Dime "designed" it for Kerry King...

:agreed:

Dime was constantly coming up with new ideas for his friends. That oddball SG/V bullseye guitar that Zakk owns was a Dime idea. Zakk also received the first Razorback ever, because Dime wanted him to have one. Every interview I've ever read with the guy has him excitedly talking about new ideas. I've even seen a few napkin scribbles along with them.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Also, whats up with the Dime 7 string? Dime never used a 7....

So what? That guitar is HAWWWWTTTT.

r7med.jpg

^^^That's a Supermodel right there.