Favourite Mooer preamp pedal?

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I think something like the 018 would work better for that
I thought that several months ago, but the more I read about them, it seemed like the 018 was being used for more classic rock, fat mid-gain tones, etc.... it seems like I heard more late 80's metal type sounds in 012 videos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I think something like the 018 would work better for that
I thought that several months ago, but the more I read about them, it seemed like the 018 was being used for more classic rock, fat mid-gain tones, etc.... it seems like I heard more late 80's metal type sounds in 012 videos.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
weird, the 018 is supposed to be based of the Custom Audio Electronics 100, which is very much a late 80s high gain jose mod esque kind of tone. Seems like that'd fit the bill for fear factory stuff perfectly.

Shask

Reaction score
If it's anything like other Friedman models, then it's a got it's own thing going on. Too dark for FF tones IMO. It's not like your standard modded Marshall.
I know the HBE model on the Axe-FX is not really what I would call dark, but I think it tends to be smoother than some of the other Msrshalls. There is an overall smoothness that can make it hard to sound aggressive.

Shask

Reaction score
weird, the 018 is supposed to be based of the Custom Audio Electronics 100, which is very much a late 80s high gain jose mod esque kind of tone. Seems like that'd fit the bill for fear factory stuff perfectly.
Yeah, I am not sure. I watched several videos of them both back and forth several months ago, and it seems like I heard more metalish 012 videos than 018. However, that could also be because it seems like the 012 is more popular.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I wonder how different the 015 is from the 005.

I have also been curious about the 012, for those modded Marshall tones, like old school Fear Factory.

I’ve had the 005 and 015 side by side. They are exactly as you would expect the difference between a 5150 III and 6505 would be. VERY impressive.

The 012 is a very good Friedman style model, it definitely has the voicing down. I’m just not as into Friedman, as I am Marshall I guess.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I bought a 018 for shits and giggles. Feels quite squishy on the low end through my FSM's fx loop, and it doesn't seem to have nearly enough gain for my tastes. I'll try it direct and through some other amps to see if those aspects change much

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
I’m considering the 009 or 015 as a drive channel aweigh a TS style boost, and a compressor and maybe the Vox or Fender model as a clean channel, putting each pair of pedals in the loops of an AB switch. Thoughts? Sure I could get a Preamp Live but this lets me get everything one piece at a time as I can afford it, and I just love building out pedalboards to be honest

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I’m considering the 009 or 015 as a drive channel aweigh a TS style boost, and a compressor and maybe the Vox or Fender model as a clean channel, putting each pair of pedals in the loops of an AB switch. Thoughts? Sure I could get a Preamp Live but this lets me get everything one piece at a time as I can afford it, and I just love building out pedalboards to be honest

The 009 is decent, great for modern metal, and it's easily available used. The 015 is awesome, less available used, but still worth the new price. I'd highly recommend an Ibanez TS Mini with them, it worked wonders for all the models I've owned.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
The 009 is decent, great for modern metal, and it's easily available used. The 015 is awesome, less available used, but still worth the new price. I'd highly recommend an Ibanez TS Mini with them, it worked wonders for all the models I've owned.
How do the clean tones on any of these high-gain models sound? I’m trying to put together a rig that’s versatile enough for the playing I do at home. I want some sparkling, spanky, warm cleans that sound lifelike, not like I’m running my guitar through my interface into my headphones.

I’ve got a Moore Radar to start noodling with as well.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
How do the clean tones on any of these high-gain models sound? I’m trying to put together a rig that’s versatile enough for the playing I do at home. I want some sparkling, spanky, warm cleans that sound lifelike, not like I’m running my guitar through my interface into my headphones.

I’ve got a Moore Radar to start noodling with as well.

The cleans are fine, nothing to shout about, but definitely decent enough. Sorry I'm not much of a clean player.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I bought a 018 for shits and giggles. Feels quite squishy on the low end through my FSM's fx loop, and it doesn't seem to have nearly enough gain for my tastes. I'll try it direct and through some other amps to see if those aspects change much
Alright so I tried the 018 through my Revv 100p's fx loop, and my Archon's fx loop. Cab sim sounds like shit on its own, but with it disengaged through some solid IRs I think it sounds pretty decent, but not amazing. YMMV. It has a lot of low end on tap but doesn't feel squishy through my revv or archon. Direct into my interface with solid IRs is when it sounds the best imo. It can definitely do high gain marshally type tones, though I don't think it'd be the best option for Fear Factory type stuff like we were wondering earlier in the thread.
1st part of the clip is through the Revv/Wall of sound/greenback IRs (cab sim on pedal disengaged)
2nd part is Archon/Wall of sound/greenback IRs (cab sim on pedal disengaged)
3rd is direct into interface w Wall of Sound/greenback IRs (cab sim on pedal disengaged)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/18aq3zvk2brehye/mooer018demo.flac/file

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Alright so I tried the 018 through my Revv 100p's fx loop, and my Archon's fx loop. Cab sim sounds like shit on its own, but with it disengaged through some solid IRs I think it sounds pretty decent, but not amazing. YMMV. It has a lot of low end on tap but doesn't feel squishy through my revv or archon. Direct into my interface with solid IRs is when it sounds the best imo. It can definitely do high gain marshally type tones, though I don't think it'd be the best option for Fear Factory type stuff like we were wondering earlier in the thread.
1st part of the clip is through the Revv/Wall of sound/greenback IRs (cab sim on pedal disengaged)
2nd part is Archon/Wall of sound/greenback IRs (cab sim on pedal disengaged)
3rd is direct into interface w Wall of Sound/greenback IRs (cab sim on pedal disengaged)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/18aq3zvk2brehye/mooer018demo.flac/file
addendum:
Running it through the front of my f30 sounds pretty solid. It can definitely do high gain thrashy stuff.

Last edited:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Since I got my HX Stomp I really haven't messed with mine much. I should do a pepsi challenge shootout between the 005 and Panama, just the HX pre without the crazy extra settings.

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
I have the 001 Gas Station. Pretty sweet. Never played a real Deizel before, but the Mooer seems to deliver that same sort of dry distortion. And that isn't a knock to the Mooer. Pretty sick.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Can you just plug headphones straight into the output of these with the cab sim on? Was thinking about a super budget headphone option.

Shask

Reaction score
Can you just plug headphones straight into the output of these with the cab sim on? Was thinking about a super budget headphone option.
They are Mono, so it doesnt work that great. If you pair it with a Mooer Radar though, it is a great headphone pair.