Finally tried a QC

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
A friend got a QC and brought it over so I finally got to try one out. As expected, it sounds really good. The touchscreen is a little unresponsive at times but is pretty nice in general. Rotary encoders on the switches is cool. UI is pretty intuitive for the most part though I had some trouble finding some settings (swipe down apparently?). The form factor is pretty sweet though the switch spacing might be a little tight.

I kinda dig but if, knowing what I know now, I was buying a modeler today...I'd still buy an FM9. That's mostly because I so greatly value the power of the Fractal grid, the tweakability of the amp and other blocks, and the huge number insanely good effects. For someone who doesn't wants super complex routing, and whose effects needs are on the more "normal" part of the spectrum, and who want a simpler onboard UI with less chance of option paralysis, I could see the QC being a really good choice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
The sad thing is, they really shot themselves in the foot by saying this would play their plugins. If they would've just released it without that knowledge, I think people would've been totally fine with the product and loved it. It's on-par feature-wise with basically every other modeler out there in its price range... If they would've waited to announce plugin support when it was ready, people probably would've lost their shit and sales would've boomed, but instead they announced that at release and people sold theirs off because of unresolved promises years later.

The QC sounds great as-is. I think Fractal still has them all beat on effects, but if I were in the market for a floor unit this size, it'd be a fairly easy choice for me buying the QC unless the FM9 is just way cheaper. I think most people appreciate the easier to use UI and less options. It took me like 5 minutes to build a great sounding patch on the one I tried. On my FM3 or would've taken me significantly longer. Especially for live use, I think this is a huge deal, because of you need to tweak things for the room, the QC is just so much easier to do it with unless you are deeply familiar with the Fractal UI.

Shask

Reaction score
I think once you get used to Fractal, you start to really notice the smallest little things missing on everything else. I am always on the lookout for simpler devices, but it seems like I always run across something... cant run 3 effects in parallel, or the reverb doesnt have a pre-delay knob, or you cant run chorus and detune at the same time.... always some sort of restriction Fractal doesnt have.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The QC is an instant no-no for me because of the tight switch spacing, but I always welcome a good UI.

I think we have to take it for what it is. The first attempt of a modeller from a young company. I'm sure it did well enough due to the massive paid Youtube hype it got to warrant a new iteration in the future.

Honestly we're at a point where all modelers sound great. Even the cheapo ones.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
The hardware definitely seems capable and is only let down by its software currently. I really do think that once more of my plugins are available and they improve some of the modulation effects, I might pick one up.

sleewell

Reaction score
Dude from another band we played with on Friday had one. It sounded pretty good. He said he really liked it.

Reactions: LCW

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think once you get used to Fractal, you start to really notice the smallest little things missing on everything else. I am always on the lookout for simpler devices, but it seems like I always run across something... cant run 3 effects in parallel, or the reverb doesnt have a pre-delay knob, or you cant run chorus and detune at the same time.... always some sort of restriction Fractal doesnt have.
I went helix lt - axe3 - hx stomp and was stunned by how little there was in the amp block advanced options in the hx stomp :lol:

My brother likes his qc over his LT, but hasnt tried fractal yet.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have no interest in the QC because of its wi-fi connectivity. I really hope Fractal doesn't eventually go that way.

Shask

Reaction score
I went helix lt - axe3 - hx stomp and was stunned by how little there was in the amp block advanced options in the hx stomp :lol:

My brother likes his qc over his LT, but hasnt tried fractal yet.
Not only the amp block, but everything. Mainly in switching, routing, oddball effect parameters, etc....

Mathemagician

Reaction score
The sad thing is, they really shot themselves in the foot by saying this would play their plugins. If they would've just released it without that knowledge, I think people would've been totally fine with the product and loved it. It's on-par feature-wise with basically every other modeler out there in its price range... If they would've waited to announce plugin support when it was ready, people probably would've lost their shit and sales would've boomed, but instead they announced that at release and people sold theirs off because of unresolved promises years later.

The QC sounds great as-is. I think Fractal still has them all beat on effects, but if I were in the market for a floor unit this size, it'd be a fairly easy choice for me buying the QC unless the FM9 is just way cheaper. I think most people appreciate the easier to use UI and less options. It took me like 5 minutes to build a great sounding patch on the one I tried. On my FM3 or would've taken me significantly longer. Especially for live use, I think this is a huge deal, because of you need to tweak things for the room, the QC is just so much easier to do it with unless you are deeply familiar with the Fractal UI.

Yeah but you can’t lie to me and expect my money. They also had retailers straight up lying about shipments coming in when they hadn’t - and didn’t come in for another 6+ months to a year. Cancelled my preorder and got an FM3. Never looked back. Which is a shame because it does look like a very respectable competitor in the space.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@MatrixClaw In regard to editing on the QC vs FM3 do you mean solely editing on the FM3 and not using software and a computer?

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Yeah but you can’t lie to me and expect my money. They also had retailers straight up lying about shipments coming in when they hadn’t - and didn’t come in for another 6+ months to a year. Cancelled my preorder and got an FM3. Never looked back. Which is a shame because it does look like a very respectable competitor in the space.
I feel like that's fairly common with most new products anymore, tbh. Which sucks, but I don't think that'd be a deal breaker for most people once stock actually came in and they were shipping. Definitely sucks if you're an early adopter, though.
Security. Privacy. Signal interference. They previously boffed the first two big time, and it can and will happen again.
Wasn't the leak just names and emails and the name and password of wifi networks? The first seems like nothing to get upset over. Unless you're using some weird email you don't want public for some reason, who cares if someone now knows your email? That's probably something they could search on Google and find in a few minutes. The WiFi network information, again, is only useful if you're connecting to some network you probably shouldn't be (ie: a secure work WiFi) or if the person happens to live nearby to you and can connect to your WiFi...

I get that it was dumb that they didn't properly secure that stuff, but it's not like they leaked login information or credit card data that would actually be useful to most hackers. Seems like a fairly insignificant and non-consequential data breach compared to many others that have happened over the last few years... I'd rather have wifi on the device than not as I have a habit of not upgrading hardware like this because the process is too much work. If I could just flip on the WiFi, hit update and be done, that's 1000x better.
@MatrixClaw In regard to editing on the QC vs FM3 do you mean solely editing on the FM3 and not using software and a computer?
Yes. I don't really have any interest in editing on a computer as that's not really how I play guitar... But even so, if I did, I wouldn't be bringing a computer to a live show just to edit patches.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Do the fm3 and fm9 have perform pages like the axe3?