Finally tried a QC

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
NDSP just had the sway and marketing due to Doug having that Darkglass $$$

I was going to say Korg money but it looks like they acquired Darkglass after the QC was released. Either way Doug likely has a fat bank account lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Is he a bit of a psychopath? Honest question. The level of minutiae he’s into with the Fractal models and firmware makes me think he’s definitely wired different.
Psychopath might be an overstatement, lol. He's cordial on most forums that I've seen with the exception that he acts like any other dickhead on the forum and might get snippy about something instead of trying to be the stone-face brand ambassador.

Reactions: LCW

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Is he a bit of a psychopath? Honest question. The level of minutiae he’s into with the Fractal models and firmware makes me think he’s definitely wired different.
Now do boutique pickup and amp makers :yesway:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Im gonna speculate Cliff would decline that :lol:

Most likely. Which would be a bummer, because Dave brought it up when someone asked how modelers do their thing and Dave only had a rough idea of how each company went about it.

He knew Fractal did component modeling but nothing more than that, having Cliff there to ‘go head to head’ with one of the biggest anti-modeling dudes there is would be interesting as hell.

Reactions: LCW

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A little off topic, but how does the fm3 compare to a qc? I am tempted to go that route as an fx platform for my rig (real amps + reactive load box). Is there a really big dsp advantage the QC has over the FM3?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
“No one understands how transformers work”

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, but I can tell you this. It's the relativistic consequence of moving charges within a neutrally charged conductor, and we can compute it using Lorentz and Coulomb laws. Those with a skill issue can use Faraday.

Hope that was condescending enough. Just wanted to keep with the theme of the original quote.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
A little off topic, but how does the fm3 compare to a qc? I am tempted to go that route as an fx platform for my rig (real amps + reactive load box). Is there a really big dsp advantage the QC has over the FM3?

I won’t even answer this one since I’m a Fractal fanboi. I’ll let the QC owners take it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, but I can tell you this. It's the relativistic consequence of moving charges within a neutrally charged conductor, and we can compute it using Lorentz and Coulomb laws. Those with a skill issue can use Faraday.

Hope that was condescending enough. Just wanted to keep with the theme of the original quote.
I know some of these words

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I expect it would not compare favorably as far as DSP power goes. The QC competes more against the FM9 which is more similar in power to the big units than the FM3 is. That said, do you anticipate your use case needing the extra DSP or are you just a 3-4 effects, 1 amp, 1 cab kinda person?

laxu

Reaction score
Have you never talked to someone who is an expert on a subject? That's how I see Cliff. He's perhaps the foremost expert on the subject of amp modeling, with results that back it up. It doesn't mean he's some infallible god, Fractal is constantly improving their amp modeling as he learns new ways to better measure tube amp behavior and interpret stuff in the digital realm. That means minute things that most of us end users would never notice or care about, but ultimately amounts to "more accurate."

One thing people don't often give Fractal enough credit is their effects, also afaik Cliff's work. The Fractal delays and reverbs easily compare with the best of the best in the fx pedal realm. I can't say the same for anything in the QC as the biggest reason I sold mine was that the effects didn't stack up to neither Helix or FM3, when I owned the QC at release 3 years ago. I can augment missing amp models with captures any day, or use them if I don't like an amp model. But I can't easily add better or more fx to it if I don't want it to become a pedalboard.

Fractal vs NeuralDSP as companies are very different. One is basically built around a single genius's work, for better or worse. Cliff dying in an accident, from illness etc would probably end Fractal. But it also means that they are not a company driven by "make more money every quarter."

NeuralDSP is run more like a startup company, with a very heavy marketing focus in comparison. NeuralDSP has been showcased many times in e.g Finnish business magazines and it sometimes makes me feel their ultimate goal is to get bought by someone bigger, so the owners can cash out, just like what happens with many startup companies.

Letting marketing people (including the CEO) run their mouths has led them to make a lot of promises they haven't been able to keep. 3 years ago I asked if they would add a graphic EQ that looks like a graphic EQ and was given the "should be easy" answer. It took them several years to do what is a pretty low difficulty feature. Sometimes I wonder where they would be if they hadn't promised plugin support, because it's clearly taken a lot of their dev time.

As much as I liked the form factor and user interface of the QC, I'm not keen to pick up another one at this point when we are maybe a year or two away from the competition making something new. In these 3 years, they have already caught up in many areas like virtual movable mic cab sims, while things like Tonex/NAM have made captures a cheap thing to add to anything.

LCW

Reaction score
Have you never talked to someone who is an expert on a subject? That's how I see Cliff. He's perhaps the foremost expert on the subject of amp modeling, with results that back it up. It doesn't mean he's some infallible god, Fractal is constantly improving their amp modeling as he learns new ways to better measure tube amp behavior and interpret stuff in the digital realm. That means minute things that most of us end users would never notice or care about, but ultimately amounts to "more accurate."

One thing people don't often give Fractal enough credit is their effects, also afaik Cliff's work. The Fractal delays and reverbs easily compare with the best of the best in the fx pedal realm. I can't say the same for anything in the QC as the biggest reason I sold mine was that the effects didn't stack up to neither Helix or FM3, when I owned the QC at release 3 years ago. I can augment missing amp models with captures any day, or use them if I don't like an amp model. But I can't easily add better or more fx to it if I don't want it to become a pedalboard.

Fractal vs NeuralDSP as companies are very different. One is basically built around a single genius's work, for better or worse. Cliff dying in an accident, from illness etc would probably end Fractal. But it also means that they are not a company driven by "make more money every quarter."

NeuralDSP is run more like a startup company, with a very heavy marketing focus in comparison. NeuralDSP has been showcased many times in e.g Finnish business magazines and it sometimes makes me feel their ultimate goal is to get bought by someone bigger, so the owners can cash out, just like what happens with many startup companies.

Letting marketing people (including the CEO) run their mouths has led them to make a lot of promises they haven't been able to keep. 3 years ago I asked if they would add a graphic EQ that looks like a graphic EQ and was given the "should be easy" answer. It took them several years to do what is a pretty low difficulty feature. Sometimes I wonder where they would be if they hadn't promised plugin support, because it's clearly taken a lot of their dev time.

As much as I liked the form factor and user interface of the QC, I'm not keen to pick up another one at this point when we are maybe a year or two away from the competition making something new. In these 3 years, they have already caught up in many areas like virtual movable mic cab sims, while things like Tonex/NAM have made captures a cheap thing to add to anything.

I appreciate the candor. Thnx

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Fractal pretty much usurped Eventide and Lexicon in the guitar market when it comes to rack effects. A lot of people that used to use Eventide and Lexicon rack gear moved onto Fractal. So it's safe to say they took their proper throne when it comes to effects. Like even people that are dye in the wool all-analog amp tech (Vai, Trooch, etc,) pretty much slimmed down their massive racks because Fractal can do it all.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Fractal pretty much usurped Eventide and Lexicon in the guitar market when it comes to rack effects. A lot of people that used to use Eventide and Lexicon rack gear moved onto Fractal. So it's safe to say they took their proper throne when it comes to effects. Like even people that are dye in the wool all-analog amp tech (Vai, Trooch, etc,) pretty much slimmed down their massive racks because Fractal can do it all.

Fractal could wreak havoc on the pedalboard rig guys if they released some sort of Boss MS-3 thing. The AX-8 doesn't count as it was huge and didn't have actual loops for pedals, amp control jacks, etc. Judging by their current line-up of floor modellers I'd say that maybe the cost of tooling enclosures is maybe holding them back. It sucks having to go from FM3 to FM9.

The very first day Boss updates the MS-3 to a newer version with the FX of their 1000 series (which I'd rate a step below Fractal's) I'll place my order in a heartbeat.

laxu

Reaction score
Fractal could wreak havoc on the pedalboard rig guys if they released some sort of Boss MS-3 thing. The AX-8 doesn't count as it was huge and didn't have actual loops for pedals, amp control jacks, etc. Judging by their current line-up of floor modellers I'd say that maybe the cost of tooling enclosures is maybe holding them back. It sucks having to go from FM3 to FM9.

The very first day Boss updates the MS-3 to a newer version with the FX of their 1000 series (which I'd rate a step below Fractal's) I'll place my order in a heartbeat.
I'd love something like Fractal's take on the Source Audio Collider delay/reverb because there aren't enough of those type pedals on the market in the first place. The Collider is good, but the tape delays just don't hold a candle to my Strymon Volante whereas Fractal's do, just not as intuitively adjustable.

Latest posts