First guitar thread!

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSG91

Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs
Reaction score
My first guitar was a black Stratocaster Korean copy back in 1987 that did the job but I eventually needed a professional weapon. My first real guitar is a Yamaha RGX Custom I bought in 1989 for over $2,000 at the time not including the hard shell case. This guitar is killer with a 5-piece maple/mahogany neck-thru body and with a select ash body. The fret board is ebony with 6100 Jim Dunlop jumbo frets and 12F crystal inlays. The guitar features Jim Dunlop strap lock buttons, a pitch-rise adjustment wheel on the floating bridge, height-adjustable locking nut, a pull/push tone knob for coil-split and a direct out switch. I'm taking this guitar to the grave with me.:tmm:

IMG729_zpsvn7evlfb.jpg

full

full

full

27425-bdd0e1b6078e4af9dbd7e9e75cc3b19c.jpg

27390-5ff98896653b852486a7bdb9e3aaef4c.jpg

full

;>)/

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angl2k

Reaction score
My first guitar was a Silvertone Apocalypse that I bought from a friend. It had an agathis body and duncan designed pickups and a tune-o-matic bridge. Played it through a solid state Ibanez amp. I actually have it stored somewhere in the attic :) The pups sound surprisingly good through a good tube amp.
175-201392192950_original.jpg

Most recent guitar I acquired is an ESP Eclipse. Still rocking tune-o-matic bridges. Love the Horizon shape but recently went back to 24.75" scale and I like it so far. The only downside to the Eclipse shape is the upper fret access.
vucx9F.jpg

Matt08642

Reaction score
First guitar (2004ish?) and most recent (last month), side by side

kE1efcw.jpg

The Squier is uhhhh a little worse for wear at the moment :lol:

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
First was some cheap mini acoustic that was a hand-me-down.
But after a summer of lessons on that, I got a Montaya LP copy for Christmas. Don't have a pic of mine, but something like this:

xrfeqzcyq0pssvcnficv.jpg

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Not that we're talking about 2nd and 3rd guitars....but my Squier Bullet replacement was (what is apparently) an extremely rare maple boarded RG570 ca. 1990. There were a bunch of music stores along El Cajon blvd in/around San Diego back in the Day...I wandered into some place called American Dream Music which was going out of business at the same time I had me a tax refund in hand. They had a blue with rosewood and this one both for around $325 new, liquidation pricing. This is the only example I could find, but mine may have been the maroon red, my FS Baye pics from 20 years ago are long gone. I had no idea about Ibanez or anything, but the guitar just spoke to my dumb ass correctly....

Clint%20Second%20Guitar%20RG570.jpg

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Not that we're talking about 2nd and 3rd guitars....but my Squier Bullet replacement was (what is apparently) an extremely rare maple boarded RG570 ca. 1990. There were a bunch of music stores along El Cajon blvd in/around San Diego back in the Day...I wandered into some place called American Dream Music which was going out of business at the same time I had me a tax refund in hand. They had a blue with rosewood and this one both for around $325 new, liquidation pricing. This is the only example I could find, but mine may have been the maroon red, my FS Baye pics from 20 years ago are long gone. I had no idea about Ibanez or anything, but the guitar just spoke to my dumb ass correctly....

Clint%20Second%20Guitar%20RG570.jpg
Totally off-topic, but do you remember the store directly across the street from GC that was stocked to the brim with Samick models? Or the used shop next to GC? Those kinds of stores were so special, and I miss them dearly.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Totally off-topic, but do you remember the store directly across the street from GC that was stocked to the brim with Samick models? Or the used shop next to GC? Those kinds of stores were so special, and I miss them dearly.

I totally remember that GC but can't recall the 6-10 (that I sort of remember) stores along that stretch. Nice to see someone else remembers that micro-cosm of the universe!
EDIT: I do remember there being another called "American Music" or something, it was very closely named and confusing for a minute to the store I bought from "American Dream".

Last edited:

Edika

Reaction score
First guitar was a Squier MIJ that I bought from a friend of mine. Some modern appointments and a slim fast neck. I still have it and have replaced all the electronics, the Floyd and put a brass block.
DSC_0867.JPG

I've bought some non black guitars in the meanwhile but my latest acquisition comes full circle in terms of colour but couldn't be more different than this since I usually play super strats. It's a Gibson Explorer Gothic that currently has Black Winters on.

IMG_20181214_225829_HHT.jpg

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I became obsessed with Metallica when I was 14 in 1997. After I started getting their "old" CDs from the 80s I became obsessed with 80s metal and Flying Vs. My local pawn shop had a black/red burst Bently Series 10 V hanging up for $200 USD hard currency. I mowed lawns all summer to get it and promptly spray painted it black with green hotrod flames. It was absolute garbage. The body was plywood and weighed a ton. The tuner buttons were plastic and held onto the shaft by little crimps. The low e button broke off so I had a little vise grip attached to the nub so I could turn it. The neck pickup was missing and I had a Bill Lawrence Dimebag Darrell put in the bridge. Only dad didn't solder it right so it sounded like a single coil.
View attachment 69427 View attachment 69428
The latest guitar is a throwback to those days. This time I got one that looks more like what I actually wanted all those years ago.
View attachment 69429
The pictures make this post.. :hbang:

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score

Not enough spikes on the strap, how is one supposed to play...
I traded down to one of the cheaper Yamaha RGX models many years ago and made the mistake of stringing in with a mixed gauge, then trying to go back to normal gauge selection. It was a disaster needless to say.

Musiscience

Reaction score
1999 Fender MIM Stratocaster in a wine red finish, maple board. My father bought me a solid state fender amp along with it, 8" speaker. I was really happy to have them at the time, it's my siblings who weren't and realized it sounded like sh*t (it did) :lol: Distortion sounded like the thinnest metal zone and drove everybody crazy.

Not my actual guitar, but the same model/color:

7e62f0ee657720405156f3a00c95d2a9.jpg

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
My first guitar was a yellowstone (if I remember correct) les paul copy. Already 18 years back or something like that. Try to find a photo on the Internet, but the brand seems to be gone, for good reasons!!

Did play some time guitar, but quite and to focus full on synthesizers. When the guitar player of my old band quite I pick up guitar again, he played a seven string, so bought a LTD H207, which I consider as my first real guitar.
Did put a dimarzio tone zone in the bridge so it sounded as good as it looked. Still regard sometimes that I sold it!

Picture from the internet, not mine:
h207.jpg

Last guitar I bought was a Claas (because i like something "out there" design wise, and love multi scale!), picture:

IMG_2495.JPG

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
My first guitar was crappy strat copy by a brand called Typhoon which was owned by D'Addario. It was my christmas gift from my grand parents when I was 12. I learned my first songs on it and loved it untill I bought a better low end Washburn. I don't have pictures but it was blue with a white pickguard.

My most recent guitar purchase was my 2000 MIJ ESP EX I got last summer. It's pretty beat up but plays awesome and has a monstrous tone. It's slowly becoming my favorite guitar.

8bmPWX.jpg

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
First guitar was some no-name Strat beginner kit. Synsonics, I think? My younger brother still has it. I refinished it flat purple and gave it to him when he said he wanted to learn guitar.

My first “real” guitar was a candy apple red Ibanez RG120. I loved that thing.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I previously mentioned a BC RICH warlock as my first real guitar, but my most recent purchases were an ESP custom shop 7 string and a Jackson SL-1. Hell of an upgrade

gnoll

Reaction score
My first electric was an Ltd ex-400, which I currently use as my main guitar. I got it used 14 or so years ago.