First guitar thread!

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
First guitar: This bad boy right here.

B001G60IEK-1.jpg

Currently it's sanded down at a friend's house patiently awaiting a paint job that'll probably never happen. The neck, which was twisted, is long gone, and most of the hardware is sitting in a box in my closet.

Most recent guitar:

20181002-212856.jpg

Not in much of a better state than the Warlock, to be honest. Currently hanging on my wall awaiting new pickup rings so I can pop some old Duncan Designed pups in it and resell it.

The rest of the stable:

20181106-115656.jpg

20181103-201259.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Other than my dad's enormous Fender acoustic, an unidentifiable plywood SG copy my cousin gave me. I replaced the bridge and tuners and played it until the pickups faded to nothing, then bought a Danelectro

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
my very first guitar was a piece of shit classical guitar i bought for 40$. second was a slightly less shitty yamaha starter acoustic that i kept for over a decade. it actually sounded pretty decent unlike the classical.
My first electric was a piece of shit johnson strat from walmart. second was a beat to hell ibby rg of sorts.
I still have the neck from the rg and a box of parts from the strat. Both got frankensteined/parted out into early builds.

Ehoop91

Reaction score
Wish I had a picture, but mine was a Squire Strat. Black body, with awful blue flames airbrushed on it. Had that for about six months until I saved up and bought an LTD Viper 500.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I became obsessed with Metallica when I was 14 in 1997. After I started getting their "old" CDs from the 80s I became obsessed with 80s metal and Flying Vs. My local pawn shop had a black/red burst Bently Series 10 V hanging up for $200 USD hard currency. I mowed lawns all summer to get it and promptly spray painted it black with green hotrod flames. It was absolute garbage. The body was plywood and weighed a ton. The tuner buttons were plastic and held onto the shaft by little crimps. The low e button broke off so I had a little vise grip attached to the nub so I could turn it. The neck pickup was missing and I had a Bill Lawrence Dimebag Darrell put in the bridge. Only dad didn't solder it right so it sounded like a single coil.
1503483_10202696550647821_497730940_n.jpg
1972257_10202696550687822_246679689_n.jpg

The latest guitar is a throwback to those days. This time I got one that looks more like what I actually wanted all those years ago.
36905966_10214669297639013_6703110692423073792_o.jpg

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
My first guitar was an Acoustic Stony single cutaway. I had not interest in Acoustic playing but assumed that people begin from Acoustics and graduate to electrics. Needless to say I quickly moved to a 7 string Washburn WG157 after that, when it was explained to me. :rofl:

This is not mine but is the same guitar, the tone knob lifted up and turned the humbuckers into single coils which was a nice addition and the tuners were Grovers 18:1. The sound was what you would expect from a cheap guitar and the poles of the humbuckers were misaligned to the strings, causing the sound to choke on massive bends.
washburn_wg587v_7_string_4639156.jpg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What was your first guitar? Got a story about it?

Post a pic of your first..and a pic of your most recent guitar. How much have you changed?

First guitar: used squier affinity strat. I had a rental for 3 guitar lessons to prove I could stick with it beforehand. Before that, I borrowed a classmates' Jay Turser strat to plunk around with and see if I liked it.

Last guitar was my custom tele for my 30th birthday. Back to basics.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
First guitar that I played was my father's acoustic, which he bought from a catalog in the 70's. Strings were sky high and boy, were my fingers sore after hours of playing it.

The first guitar that was my own was a epiphone sg special 2 (with a 15watt crate combo), which I thought then was a great guitar. Until I wanted to play solos... I just couldn't fit my hands up there. So, next one was a musamaailma (finnish music store that sells esp etc.) exclusive ltd MMV-04. Back then I was a huge Alexi Laiho & Roope Latvala fan, so I just had to get a Rhoads-style guitar. Shitty licence floyd, duncan designed pups, bolt on, 24 frets. I was in heaven with that guitar...

After that I've had so many different guitars, that I can't even remember them all.

3814058379.jpg

ExplorerMike

60% of the time...it works every time.
Reaction score
My first guitar was a used Dean V. I hadn’t even touched a guitar in my life at that point, but decided I was going to play. Walked into the store and bought the first cheap Flying V I could find haha. It ended up being a pretty decent guitar that I wish I still had. It was black with the black/white pickups.

Funny thing was two weeks later I was playing in a talent show at our high school and a kid from another school was the drummer for one of the bands. He walks in and goes “oh shit it’s my old Dean!” Small world haha.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I became obsessed with Metallica when I was 14 in 1997. After I started getting their "old" CDs from the 80s I became obsessed with 80s metal and Flying Vs. My local pawn shop had a black/red burst Bently Series 10 V hanging up for $200 USD hard currency. I mowed lawns all summer to get it and promptly spray painted it black with green hotrod flames. It was absolute garbage. The body was plywood and weighed a ton. The tuner buttons were plastic and held onto the shaft by little crimps. The low e button broke off so I had a little vise grip attached to the nub so I could turn it. The neck pickup was missing and I had a Bill Lawrence Dimebag Darrell put in the bridge. Only dad didn't solder it right so it sounded like a single coil.

Dude that is like the most quintessential first guitar story of all time.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
My first guitar was an Ibanez GSA60 - see below. Literally had no inkling of what to buy, as I had only had an acoustic before this. GC staff swindled my parents as they paid what I remember to be full price for a floor model - there wasn't even a trem bar! Beat the crap out of it, from what I remember - ripped out the middle single and "converted" the humbucker to be direct mount. The neck on it was pretty great, from what I remember, round and comfy without being a hindrance. Eventually sold it (for like $50), and owned quite a few more RGs, some ESPs, and a Schecter, before eventually discovering PRS, which culminated in my first Core CU24 last year.

Looking back on it, I like to think I've come home somewhat - archtop guitar with a non-locking trem and a more friendly neck shape than some of the shreddy stuff I've been into, though I think I'll need an Aristides or two eventually. Definitely glad I owned the guitar, as I learned the majority of how to be a good guitar tech by trying things out on it.

latest

y50ksnk6ulektoimdi6s.jpg

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
First guitar: This bad boy right here.

B001G60IEK-1.jpg

Currently it's sanded down at a friend's house patiently awaiting a paint job that'll probably never happen. The neck, which was twisted, is long gone, and most of the hardware is sitting in a box in my closet.

Most recent guitar:

20181002-212856.jpg

Not in much of a better state than the Warlock, to be honest. Currently hanging on my wall awaiting new pickup rings so I can pop some old Duncan Designed pups in it and resell it.

The rest of the stable:

20181106-115656.jpg

20181103-201259.jpg

My love for J basses is STRONG

I have still have a P and a PJ around in case my J just won't fix a particular mix, but J bass = :wub:

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
First guitar eh?

I started molesting -eh playing my dad's nylon string eventually hobbling my way through 2-3 pop-rock songs.

At that point dad decided I was ready to buy my first custom guitar (lol) and proceeded to pay out of his pocket an outrageous amount to a local folk-instrument builder to make me an electroacoustic (the first -and only- one he managed to build). Needless to say the guitar was pretty and loud(!) but boy was it full of construction errors. It had a 2x4 for a neck, tilted fretwork, no radius, the electronics where wonky af etc etc.

However I poured hours of practice into it until college. At some point it got stolen but I managed to track it down and buy it again from the fence (thankfully for a pittance this time). Now it rests at my parents' home. The thieves also got my first electric - a floyded Epi Goth LP and my first expensive electric guitar a ParkerFly deluxe.. Remembering how clueless I was at the time I still wonder how I was able to tune the LP and why the hell did I feel the need to buy the Parker. Fun times...

Then began the long road of buying cheap-used-mid-range electrics, until I got to a '90 Horizon that I am probably gonna keep playing until it falls apart.

mogar

Reaction score
My first was the shittiest playing, plywood bodied Silvertone strat copy you ever saw from a pawn shop for $50 back in the 90s. But damn did it ever light a fire under me :D

stevexc

Reaction score
Actually I lied, that Metal Master was just my first electric guitar. Before that, my first 6-string was a Samick Classical Barcelona series:

ct-1ce-bk_medm.jpg

And before THAT was my first bass, a Peavey Millenium BXP 5:

preview.jpg

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was the model but its been a LONG time. $100 on layaway, never did get an amp to go along with it so.....yeah....closest music store was 2 hours away and I wasn't driving yet.....
FF about 3-4 years and blew an entire E-1 w/o dependents paycheck on a squier bullet strat and a 15W bullet amp for first rig. Lean times, I was able to convince my homie to donate blood so we could enjoy a needed carton of smokes through next payday.
Harmony LP -ish copy. No idea where it went.
Guitars_039_6770.JPG