First guitar thread!

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Tokai Strat knock-off. It was a fantastic strat actually. Would like to get another some day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
My first guitar was an Epiphone SG Bully start pack. I somehow figured out how to ABY my amp with my brothers friend’s amp w/o an ABY pedal. I was just getting into Korn and getting into Metallica, thanks to “St. Anger” (which is crazy now that I think about that being the album that got me into Metallica and heavy music in general) I remember tuning that down to C# and rocking out. Now I’m usually rocking my Kiesel Vanquish 7 or Ibanez JS1000. Both are killer guitars, along with the rest of what I have in the stable.

Merrekof

Reaction score
A yamaha pacifica starter pack. This was a hug piece of crap.. for some reason the g string kept breaking. I replaced strings nearly every month on that guitar. Pickup selector switch broke after six months. Not my fault, the contacts were just bad I think. Sharp fret edges, couldn't stay in tune for 10 minutes... After a good year my parents got me a Epiphone G400 goth, that was a huge step up.
After this, I advise every starter to leave the starter packs alone and ask a guitar playing friend you trust to buy you a second hand guitar instead.

PatientMental76

Reaction score
1996 Epiphone Les Paul Special II traded it a year later strait up for an ounce of weed after i upgraded to a B.C. Rich Warlock so i think i made out of the deal because that weed came in handy when jamming on the new guitar!

LuciusBolt

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My first guitar was a generic Strat Copy that was black with a maple neck. I got that and a Marshall MG 30 DFX off the local classifieds in the newspaper. I had this guitar in Drop C and D at various points as well as Standard Tuning.

The best memory I had of this was when I was starting out trying to play Born Of Osiris's "Bow Down" off the New Reign Album. Also I remember trying to play stuff off Trivium's Ascendancy as well.

010.png

Old photo from ages ago that I dug up.

Went from having only that to upgrading to a LTD MH Series guitar with a floyd special.

2016 - > 2019 basically

Sadly the Strat was taken apart after something got completely stuck in the tremolo.
but that is a story for another time.

mcdowellgrace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. It was interesting to read about the first guitar person bought and how preferences changed and what guitar he or she bought. What about me? I have only one guitar, and it's my first and the only one because I bought it a few weeks ago. It's Epiphone Les Paul Standart and it'sone of the most popular electric guitar in the world. When I was choosing which guitar to buy, I read a lot of articles and reviews, and it's often written that this guitar is tricky for beginners, but I decided to take a risk. And I have no regrets because for me it's only a pleasure to play this guitar. On the review here https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-electric-guitars-under-500/ I found the most detailed info about the guitar and decided to choose it.
And what about you, how did you choose which guitar to buy and was it hard to do?

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Screenshot_2020-03-11-21-10-56~2.png
Congrats McDowell, that is awesome.
My first owned guitar was a gift from my parents, a black Applause GTX22, identical to the attached photograph, which is something i've acquired recently as a restoration project.
Anyway, that guitar got me through learning the first 5 Metallica albums as a kid. I never planned to get another one but on a whim I found it so I grabbed it.
These days when picking out a guitar it has to first be aesthetically pleasing to me, then it must feel good in my hands, then it must be capable of being setup to my tastes.
I prefer a thinner neck and 25.5" to 26.5" scale, and medium output to hot pickups, not excluding active pickups. Tremolos are preferred but I also like to have a hardtail on hand for rapid alternate tunings.

Last edited:

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
My first guitar was an acoustic my grandmother bought me when i was about 5 with the intent for me to take lessons from a friend of hers who was a pretty well known local musician. My mother didnt care for the aforementioned gentleman so i never started playing, no idea what became of the guitar. At 14 when i decided on my own to start to play my mom got me an epiphone les paul special II in sunburst, it wasnt a terrible guitar. I them took it and moded the crap out of it and made it a terrible guitar, its is now unplayable lol but here it is in all its awful glory
15874126671952207462543346269450.jpg

Splenetic

Reaction score
Westminster Les Paul knock off... Bolt-on neck. Japanese.....I think it's was made by Matsumoku.

Wish I still had it.

Reaction score
My first guitar was a Fender Strat copy. I remember the name "Jaguar" being on the headstock. It was a really cheap copy with a plywood body and an aweful set of single coils. It played like absolute trash but I learned on it for a year or two before my parents bought be an Ibanez RG450 Roadstar Series II which I had a very love/hate relationship with. Both of those were sold long ago. Don't regret it.

Latest posts