Forum Regulars... "Getting a Life"

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
I just spend time on here when I'm bored at home. I work evenings, so in the day there's nobody else at home and all my friends are at college. I just use this site talk to people who are as obsessed with guitars as I am.

Most days I don't post between 5pm and 10pm because I'm either at work or out with my friends or bandmates. I don't think I spend too much time on here at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I'm on here everyday but I have times when I don't come on for a day or two such as last weekend but I got to admit I miss you guys sometimes! :lol:

I don't think it's that bad as I know several people who play Warcraft and that shit is like having another job/alternate life/being in the closet and I think it's actually pretty damaging.

Last summer I met an old friend I used to work with and we worked in a video games store so naturally we started talking about games and he told me about his Warcraft addiction, he was on Warcraft for around a year and a half in total but after six months of playing it he actually chose to quit his job and play it full time thus leaving his social life behind.

We laughed about it but the way he was talking about it was as if he got hooked on heroin and ended up homeless and sucking cocks for cash in public toilets Basketball diaries style I myself was just in total shock that someone so smart could leave everything behind for a fucking videogame.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Sometimes I have better things to do, and sometimes I don't. I think I'm okay since the things I'm doing in the real world determine how much time I spend here and not the other way around.

+1.

I probably spend "too much" time online but I'm not unhappy with it and I get done all of the "real" things that I need/want to do so... :fawk:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Hm, this or work a lot of the time. Or when I'm supposed to be asleep like now. Oops.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I feel strongly about this because I feel this promotes ignorance. What constitutes having no life?

If anyone were to tell me such i'd evaluate it as, "You don't do the same things with your time as I do."

Citing a little story here. I play a lot of DDR (ITG, PIU, FFR, SM - fingers, feet) and I excel at such. My friend saw me playing once and said I had no life. So I asked her what she did in her spare time and she said she hung out with friends and went shopping and stuff. I told her she was the one that had no life and she denied me being correct and shrugged off.

Are we abusing forums to the point where we could be doing more physical, "real world" activities? Do we start to care too much about logging in and checking out new threads in comparison to "real," "important" issues?

Like many people here, I find time for school, extra cirricular activities, volunteer work, paid work and time for friends. I still watch the news and enjoy TV shows. I may have only been here for just under a month but I do find myself in a majority of threads in the sections I have knowledge or interest in.

Could we spend our online time so much more productively?

A lot of help is offered here. Both in the forums of providing [what I feel is] person to person help on instruments, technique, theory, etc. and other actions as simple as spreading the word about a new album from a band or even just a concert review.

How much online time is too much?

All these things really tie into each other though. There's definately a limit and rather than type more i'll just quote someone above me...
My view on it is that you are only spending too much time in forums when it interferes with other more important activities in your daily life.

I have a friend who skips school to stay home and play WoW. I don't think I can expand on that any more.

I also only post in this forum because I really enjoy it and the members, I find this forum to be the best out there...

I'm not gonna lie. You guys are great. I have tens of thousands of posts collectively from other forums. A lot of these cases the forums were decent but with more and more 'internet immature' members joining i've seen forums go right down the drain, sometimes within a month or two.

Well that's my two cents.

matty2fatty

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that on probably 5 out of 7 days of the week I spend more time reading about playing guitar than actually playing it......so yes, I probably spend too much time on this forum, even if its only 20 mins a day or so.

So with that, I think I'll go make some noise!:hbang:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
For a while I used to spend 12-14 hours a day on forums and as a result I got a post count per day of around 50 per day at one particular forum:noplease:
At the time I was suffering from severe depression, paranoid and crippling social anxiety disorder problems. That combo of problems nearly ruined my fucking life.
These days, I might spend a few hours on the forums, but now I also spend lots of time writing music, playing guitar and also making an effort o hang out with friends at least two days a week but sometimes more.
I actually quit going to half the forums I used to go to to achieve this, now you'll only really see me here, MG.org from time to time and occasionally Ultimatemetal.com.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
a few years ago, i felt that i'm really getting addicted - and cancelled my internet-access at home. all i need to do online, i can do at work - as long as i can, i wont get an online-connection at home again.

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
I am on a computer half the day at my work so this site helps kill time and also provides good info about various topics.

Since becoming a regular in the past year or so (i signed up ages ago but dint really use it much untill i realised how awesome it was) I have gotten a killer deal on a RG1527 w/BKPs and found about about the Agile revolution which resulted in a Intrepid 8.

In short i love this site and deny my addiction :lol:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's now 1am and I've pretty much just been sitting at the computer since 4pm:ugh:, but I'm drinking beer at the same time at least:hbang::lol:

Zehailiu

Reaction score
You know what, I always thought I was a fucking loser when I was going to college.
I liked to play games, MMOs, read comics, go on forums, draw, play guitar, jerk off, etc. mostly activities to be done at home.
I went out sometimes with friends, even to parties, usually of the sausage variety, but who cares, I'm with friends who don't stand to benefit from hanging out with me but still do.
I didn't have a gf, obviously, so I had all kinds of self doubt and shit.

Then bam, I got a hot gf.

I still do the exact same shit I used to do every day, but now I feel great.

It's all bullshit, you are who you are, so try to enjoy yourself.
Next time someone tells you to "Get a life", tell them to "fuck off."

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
I'm at work 8-9 hours a day, sitting in front of a computer doing nothing at all...from those 8-9 hours i "actually work" only 3 hours...so i have a lot of time to spend.