FR sustain block upgrade

• Thread starter Tho
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tho

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I wanna try a bigger sustain block for my guitars with floyd (Jackson Soloist Pro '94, Jackson Custom Shop Soloist, Jackson Custom Shop Warrior. All Original Floyd Rose.

I was thinking about the Original Fat Brass Tremolo Block (from the floyd rose website) in the size of 42mm.

But, I (ab)use my Floyd heavily and the website states it can also limit upward travel of the tremolo, and that it might require some routing in the spring cavity. Now that's something I don't want.

Who has experience with this? What block (size and material) do you recommend and will allow me to use my floyd without any drastic customisations?

Thanks all!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
I think Pikka means grinding-off the edge/corners of the toneblock where it touches the body, leaving it with more traveling range.
The block will loose just a fairly small amount of mass..

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I think Pikka means grinding-off the edge/corners of the toneblock where it touches the body, leaving it with more traveling range.
The block will loose just a fairly small amount of mass..

Yeah, that's it. I've done it to the two brass blocks I've put on my Edge Pro trems. Pics on request.

vansinn

Reaction score
Hehe, it's just like any other block, just with a 45deg facet where the übersize block would touch the body ;)

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Well, here it is:

IMG_20141125_192206084.jpg

jonsick

Reaction score
I had a brass block in two of my floyds. I went back to the original. I found the brass block increased sustain but added a humungous amount of low end that I really didn't want.

Tho

Reaction score
I had a brass block in two of my floyds. I went back to the original. I found the brass block increased sustain but added a humungous amount of low end that I really didn't want.

Really? My guitars are full mahogany, I don't need that either. Maybe I should go with titanium or tungsten then...

Letuchy

Reaction score
I have original fat brass block in my Jaden Rose JHM. upward travel of tremolo isn`t limited. So it depends on your cavity size.