Fryette/VHT Owners Club

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
FryetteUL2.jpg

FryetteUL5.jpg

Former owner.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have never gotten my hands on a VHT/Fryette amp head, but did manage to snag a Valvulator tube buffer and pedal power supply..

Grindrack%20V_zpsyjzhlwwn.jpg

Even using it in front of my old solid state amp and pedal board is a pretty big improvement!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Earlier this week, I got some new tubes in the mail to try out in my 50/CL. A pair of EHX 6CA7 power tubes, a balanced Sovtek LPS for the phase inverter, and a few EHX and Chinese preamp tubes to roll through some different slots.

So far I like the different character of the 6CA7 sound, but I'll have to play with settings and louder volumes for a few days before I know if I prefer them to the Winged =C= el34 set I had in there before. Some of that midrange crunch is replaced with more bottom end response and a cleaner/clearer high end, though I think the 6CA7's sound more mushy at very low volumes as a result of that low end extension.

I still need to try some of my spare 6l6's in this amp, and I may pick up a set of Tung Sol el34's to compare as well next time I find a good sale online. I've landed on a pretty magical tube setup in my Ultra Lead, so I'm excited to try and do the same with the 50/CL :)

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Earlier this week, I got some new tubes in the mail to try out in my 50/CL. A pair of EHX 6CA7 power tubes, a balanced Sovtek LPS for the phase inverter, and a few EHX and Chinese preamp tubes to roll through some different slots.

So far I like the different character of the 6CA7 sound, but I'll have to play with settings and louder volumes for a few days before I know if I prefer them to the Winged =C= el34 set I had in there before. Some of that midrange crunch is replaced with more bottom end response and a cleaner/clearer high end, though I think the 6CA7's sound more mushy at very low volumes as a result of that low end extension.

I still need to try some of my spare 6l6's in this amp, and I may pick up a set of Tung Sol el34's to compare as well next time I find a good sale online. I've landed on a pretty magical tube setup in my Ultra Lead, so I'm excited to try and do the same with the 50/CL :)

What are you using in your Ultra Lead?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
What are you using in your Ultra Lead?

EHX in V1 and V3, Chinese in V2, JJ 5751 in V4, JJ 12AT7 and balanced Sovtek LPS for the phase inverter/power amp driver slots, and a matched quad of EHX KT88's :yesway:

I've previously used a Tung Sol in V1 that was good for high gain sounds, but lackluster on cleans. The EHX or a Sovtek are a good compromise of gain and control IMO.

7 Stringer

Reaction score
I love VHT man, i sold my Sig X last fall and regretted it ever since. I heard a rhumor they where gonna release a version 2 at some point in time. Would be time they realease a new head. That and a Deliverence 2 i heard from the same source.

Might be all hey say but never know.

Here is my UL that i will never let go!!!!!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I like the look of the UL with white knobs :yesway: I was even thinking of painting the "stripes" on my EVH 50w white like you have yours, too!

You, sir, have some fine taste :D

7 Stringer

Reaction score
I like the look of the UL with white knobs :yesway: I was even thinking of painting the "stripes" on my EVH 50w white like you have yours, too!

You, sir, have some fine taste :D

Lol, thanks man, yeah i have a little white knob fetish it seems. I need to find some small ones to fit on my Peters, they are very close together and the ones i tried where touching together.

Go for the white stripes, it ll look bad ass.

Chris

7 Stringer

Reaction score
Ultra Lead with white knobs looks great!!

Here is close up when i had my Sig X, damn i miss that amp, sooooo versatile and excelled at every tone it generated. I will get another one at some point:

White knobs are great, i just ordered some for my Friedman, just waiting on it getting updated at Dave's, should be here soon....... I hope........

Unburdened

Reaction score
This thread warms my heart. I have recently completed the collection!
I have a 100CL, 100UL, GP/DI, D120, and a Sig:X. Now if only I could find a D60, I'd be set! Not to mention a FB 4x12.

mike0

Reaction score
Hey man, if you're looking for a Deliverance 120 I have one for sale. You can PM me if you'd like and we can talk about it.

Aside from that I currently have 2 Sig X's and the Deliverance 120 and have had the 60 along with the CLX and Ultra Lead and right now the Sig X is my go to because it gives me a dedicated clean channel and gain channel however the best amp in my opinion for the money is the Deliverance stuff, love the simplicity and ease to dial in. Just sounds so pro.

Unfortunately i'm not currently in the market for buying a new amp, but i do appreciate the offer. And i completely agree with all of your points concerning the two amps. I'll take my sig:x over a deliverance any day strictly due to having three channels and an fx loop; that said, the deliverance is probably my favorite amp and would love to have one just for recording purposes.

Milpitas Monster

Reaction score
The PS-2 slays and is very versatile. Here is my Simple Simon rig

Also gives my Kemper tube and cab goodness

protest

Reaction score
Grabbed a 2/50/2 from GC used for a good price. I'm going to pair it with the Mesa Studio Preamp I just got an see how it works. It sounds great through the power section of my Colossus though, so unless the 2/50/2 is way better it'll probably just be going back.

wakjob

Reaction score
Grabbed a 2/50/2 from GC used for a good price. I'm going to pair it with the Mesa Studio Preamp I just got an see how it works. It sounds great through the power section of my Colossus though, so unless the 2/50/2 is way better it'll probably just be going back.

Honest opinion on the Studio Pre?

You can PM me to avoid a thread derail if you want.

Latest posts