Game of Thrones

wankerness

Reaction score
The first episode was cool cause they didn't make any attempt to have a big flashy opener, they just directly continued the story from last season in the exact same vein. Hardcore. I was relieved to see that Daenerys looks like her plotline will be really great as opposed to more "MY DRAGONSSssss" like last season. Cersei and Joffrey are such hilarious assholes and I loved how Joffrey's new girl (whatshername Renley) was playing them off each other in that dinner scene. Jon Snow seeing the giant and dealing with the wildling king was awesome and as lame as I've thought Jon Snow has been in previous seasons, I'm really excited to see more of this. The only character I sorta felt didn't have very good scenes compared to normal was Tyrrion, but what can you do, he's in a bad spot right now. We didn't see Arya or the younger Stark kids or Jamie/Brienne at all, which is too bad, but at the same time I'm glad they didn't try to cram everything in just cause it's the first ep.

It was an average ep by GOT standards, which is to say it was at least 300x better than the walking dead finale.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
You mean Margaery Tyrell? :D But I agree with you on that, she was pretty cool, and I also enjoyed the rest of the episode. Hoping to see more of Arya and Jaime.

The 35~ second preview on Youtube for episode 2 features both Arya and Jaime/Brienne.

It's hard to be sure if it will be in this episode, but anyone who's read the books knows that there is a SERIOUSLY pivotal moment for Jaime on the horizon. If they don't have it in episode 2, then it will certainly be in episode 3.

I hope that doesn't give too much away. Just know that, if you thought that not a lot really happened in the opener, BIG things are on the horizon.

wankerness

Reaction score
You mean Margaery Tyrell? :D But I agree with you on that, she was pretty cool, and I also enjoyed the rest of the episode. Hoping to see more of Arya and Jaime.

Yes, I don't have all the names down very well cause I only just started reading the books. :(

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I'm just starting the fourth book, haven't watched any of the series yet. But gonna have to agree with Xaios here, prepare yourselves. Shit's gonna get real urrywhere.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Was kind of a bad start imo... didn't really seem to match up with the book at all, but it's been awhile since I read book 3 and anyway what happens later totally overshadows what is at the start. But still didn't hit quite the right note for me, for some reason

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Was kind of a bad start imo... didn't really seem to match up with the book at all, but it's been awhile since I read book 3 and anyway what happens later totally overshadows what is at the start. But still didn't hit quite the right note for me, for some reason

Yeah, but you don't like anything. :p

It's true, they abeyanced some stuff from the second book, such as...

Barristan Selmy (along with Strong Belwas) originally meets them in Qarth, not Astapor, and he'd been sent by Illyrio (who didn't actually know who he was).

Also, Jojen and Meera Reed arrive well before the end of the second book in Winterfell, where as they haven't even shown up yet in the show.

Hipster Holocaust

Reaction score
I wasn't even aware GoT was a book series. Can somebody give me an explanation about the people that are able change their faces thing, without spoilers? They only touched on it, but it's super badass.

wankerness

Reaction score
I dunno what you want them to say that wouldnt' be spoilers, "there are faceless men, they can change their face, they live on the eastern continent and we'll see more of them" about covers it I think.

wankerness

Reaction score

They're splitting the third book into two seasons :(:(:(:(

Book experts have suggested that they may then combine books 4/5 into the next season though cause apparently they take place at the same time? I know pretty much nothing about anything past season 2 except some horrible spoilers about character deaths that I wish I'd never seen.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
They're splitting the third book into two seasons :(:(:(:(

Book experts have suggested that they may then combine books 4/5 into the next season though cause apparently they take place at the same time? I know pretty much nothing about anything past season 2 except some horrible spoilers about character deaths that I wish I'd never seen.

There's no way they'd be able to fit two books into one season, even though they happen concurrently. There's simply too much happening (even though it's not *action packed* like A Storm of Swords). 2 seasons is probably doable, as books 4/5 are a lot more "talkie" than the previous ones.

wankerness

Reaction score
I figured as much. How are the books structured if they happen concurrently? Does he just not jump between all the characters like he does in the earlier books, and stick to half of them or something?

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
They start to segment a bit more as the characters "branch out" and begin to refine themselves as the story progresses and there's more interplay between the stories as well.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Book 3 would HAVE to be two seasons. Hell, they could stretch it out and make it 3. SOO much happens in the third book.

Also, the stuff they did with Daenerys and the dragons (the whole warlock bit) in the second season was ridiculously lame compared to how it was in the books.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Book 3 would HAVE to be two seasons. Hell, they could stretch it out and make it 3. SOO much happens in the third book.

Also, the stuff they did with Daenerys and the dragons (the whole warlock bit) in the second season was ridiculously lame compared to how it was in the books.

I actually liked the show's interpretation a lot more. Aside from that, though, parts of the House of the Undying sequence in the book contain pretty major spoilers for events that happen later in the series. It works in the book because you benefit from Danny's lack of perspective; she doesn't know what or who she's seeing in her visions. In the visual medium of television though, we would know EXACTLY who her visions allude to if they had shown them as described in the book, because compared to the characters, we have limited omniscience.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
^

I also liked the way the show handled the House of the Undying. There was lots of cool symbolism for what might lay ahead; the throne room with the burnt roofs, snow covering all, and Dany unable to actually touch the throne (that's not a spoiler btw, Dany still hasn't crossed the Narrow Sea in the book series).

One thing that bothered me about Season 3: Episode1;
Sam did send those Ravens dammit! At least he sent the ravens! Isn't that going to make it difficult to explain why Stannis decides to show up and save Castle Black? I know he can send more once back at the wall, but I just don't get why they are continuing to make him so useless. If they don't at least let him use some Dragonglass, I'm gonna be pissed. We need Sam the Slayer!

EDIT: Oh yeah, he sent the ravens without messages. Well, point still stands. At least he sent the ravens!

wankerness

Reaction score
d3GJG19.jpg

Also, I'm sad that spoilers in this thread are apparently as likely to mean book spoilers as spoilers for the episode which just happened. I'm glad that last post didn't contain anything too earth-shattering.

MailMan

Reaction score
Also, I'm sad that spoilers in this thread are apparently as likely to mean book spoilers as spoilers for the episode which just happened. I'm glad that last post didn't contain anything too earth-shattering.

Maybe we could write "BOOK SPOILER" or something before the spoilers that are froom the books?

Also, hurry up with reading the books ;)

^

I also liked the way the show handled the House of the Undying. There was lots of cool symbolism for what might lay ahead; the throne room with the burnt roofs, snow covering all, and Dany unable to actually touch the throne (that's not a spoiler btw, Dany still hasn't crossed the Narrow Sea in the book series).

They could've included the wolf-headed king with the iron crown at least... That would not have been a spoiler. A very badass premonition.