Game of Thrones

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Question: do you legitimately think before you type? Or do you just try to immediately negate anything anyone else says by typing like a douche?

Nope. The douche neuron fires and I must oblige.

Again, I work in TV and film production; and I'm talking about when people at a company approach me and say something along the lines of: "Yeah, we want to tell the world how shitty this season was, we thought it was shitty too. But, you know, we have to report what's given to us. End of story."

Yea, we know. You mention it in every post lol It's likely to become a square in SSO bingo.

Where I roll my eyes is wondering how you think working in film/TV leads you to believe you have special insider access to what the global or critical consensus is on the final season. You have special information that all the mainstream news outlets are just dying to report on how bad the GoT final season was?? C'mon man, you're being ridiculous.

I mean honestly, listen to yourself:

But it seems like Casey Bloys (President of Programming at HBO) is finally coming around. His last line in this statement kind of confirms what D&D were obviously doing.

He just says that: "I think the last thing fans want is something that was rushed out just to make it to air." We can use context clues here or even subcontext to infer that he was admitting (amidst all of the fallout) that the final season of Game of Thrones was indeed "rushed out just to make it to air"

From the same interview:

Bloys:
"I think everybody had hopes for where the characters might go or should go. But Dan and David have had a plan for how they wanted the show to go for a long time, and they did it the way they thought fit as creators. I think they did a spectacular job. They landed a big plane, which was not easy. You are never going to keep everybody happy, but I don’t think that’s what they were trying to do."

I don't need to read between the lines here. I just read the actual lines. If the president of HBO wants to insult D&D, they can just do that directly. They don't play it out "discretely" as a wink in a public outlet to confirm to die-hard fans the secret truth that they already know.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Where I roll my eyes is wondering how you think working in film/TV leads you to believe you have special insider access to what the global or critical consensus is on the final season. You have special information that all the mainstream news outlets are just dying to report on how bad the GoT final season was?? C'mon man, you're being ridiculous.

I mean honestly, listen to yourself:

But it seems like Casey Bloys (President of Programming at HBO) is finally coming around. His last line in this statement kind of confirms what D&D were obviously doing.

He just says that: "I think the last thing fans want is something that was rushed out just to make it to air." We can use context clues here or even subcontext to infer that he was admitting (amidst all of the fallout) that the final season of Game of Thrones was indeed "rushed out just to make it to air"

From the same interview:

Bloys:
"I think everybody had hopes for where the characters might go or should go. But Dan and David have had a plan for how they wanted the show to go for a long time, and they did it the way they thought fit as creators. I think they did a spectacular job. They landed a big plane, which was not easy. You are never going to keep everybody happy, but I don’t think that’s what they were trying to do."

I don't need to read between the lines here. I just read the actual lines. If the president of HBO wants to insult D&D, they can just do that directly. They don't play it out "discretely" as a wink in a public outlet to confirm to die-hard fans the secret truth that they already know.
A president of the network/distributor company that ordered the series is not a media outlet or entertainment news outlet.

You're legitimately taking two separate posts I made that have nothing to do with each other and trying to use them to piece something together because you want to conjure up some kind of pseudo-argument in attempts to validate your douchbaggery. It's kind of sad, actually.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
A president of the network/distributor company that ordered the series is not a media outlet or entertainment news outlet.

You're legitimately taking two separate posts I made that have nothing to do with each other and trying to use them to piece something together because you want to conjure up some kind of pseudo-argument in attempts to validate your douchbaggery. It's kind of sad, actually.

Sorry, these were two separate points of you being silly, not a linear argument, and I didn't clearly separate them.

It's more like (a) your biases cause you to leap to unwarranted and invalid conclusions (in thinking that Bloys is admitting D&D rushed GoT), and that's why it's (b) not surprising that you generalize from a couple people you know to making claims about having deep insights regarding the GoT mainstream media situation as a whole. Hope that clears things up.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anomaly Inc on YouTube has been doing a series of videos analyzing the episodes from Season 8 to prove his opinion that D&D are perhaps the worst writers for TV/film in history.
I'm sorry, but that's some pretty extreme hyperbole there. :lol: Season 8 had its issues, sure, and I had some big problems with Season 7 that I've eluded to in this thread. I'l even go so far as to agree that I was a bit disappointed and the season fell short of my hopes, for sure. But worst writers in TV history? There's some trully awful television out there, you can't possibly be serious. :lol:

GoT was a great series, and it definitely fell off at the end. But even having fallen off it was still rather decent TV, and if you want to talk about series that have jumped the shark before (for me, Littlefinger's death was that moment), well, there's a LONG history of that happening in television, starting with that exact phrase. :lol:

The way the GoT commentary goes, it doesn't sound so much like GoT ended badly, but that there is a GoT ending that exists out there that is brilliant and ties everything together perfectly and makes everyone happy, and these two fucktards didn't give it to us. It's a weird bit of psychology. I'm not sure why it's now and not previously, if it can all be chalked up to social media circlejerks or just how much the internet has become a medium for anger-based content.
This is kind of where I'm coming at it, too. I suspect one of the problems here is GRRM has created a situation where even he doesn't know how he's going to end it, which is why we STILL don't have a Winds of Winter. He knows where he wants to go, he just doesn't know how to get there. I'm not sure there IS an ending that would respect the scenario Martin created in the books, that would be satisfying to the fans. Even before the show ran out of books, there was a lot of speculation Martin may have painted himself into a corner. And as far as how the fan reaction will be to GRRM's ending, I've heard a lot of people upset about Dance With Dragons already, so they'll probably be pissed off too. :lol:

Idunno. Not liking how this ended is fine, you're allowed to. Voicing that opinion is fine too. But arguing this is the worst television writing ever, that's where you start to lose me.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
I'd rewatch this season 10 times over Suicide Squad or Ghostbusters 2016 again, two other recent failures that got nowhere near the crying but were vastly worse :p

There was a huge negative reaction to those 2 movies.
It wasn't as huge as GoT because the movies sucked from start to finish. I'm rewatching season 1 GoT now and it is shocking the disparity of how well it is written. Knowing how great it was and then seeing it devolve after George RR stopped helping with the scripts (and the writer shortened season idea to be done with it quickly) is the reason that this show is getting an epic hate reaction. You can't have the hate without the love.

Those 2 movies listed never had any love, lol.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
Until a month ago I only saw bits and pieces of the show here and there when friends/family were watching and I knew the memes.
I just finished watching the whole thing, I liked it!

It was quite interesting as I knew a lot of key points up front from just having heard people talk about it over the years, but it was still fun and enjoyable overall.
I mean, I thought the shocking red wedding was gonna be Joffreys one :lol:

For me the last 2 seasons (and especially the last one) were lacking, with my biggest question mark being sansa and arya suddenly getting back at littlefingers own game.
but all the outrage, come on, it’s a tv show :lol:
I do get it though, people have followed it all closely for years etc, so I guess they were a bit more invested compared to me binging it all away in a few weeks.
Then again, I’m still pretty rational about The Last Jedi too, so I’m not easily losing my shit I guess.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Until a month ago I only saw bits and pieces of the show here and there when friends/family were watching and I knew the memes.
I just finished watching the whole thing, I liked it!

It was quite interesting as I knew a lot of key points up front from just having heard people talk about it over the years, but it was still fun and enjoyable overall.
I mean, I thought the shocking red wedding was gonna be Joffreys one :lol:

For me the last 2 seasons (and especially the last one) were lacking, with my biggest question mark being sansa and arya suddenly getting back at littlefingers own game.
but all the outrage, come on, it’s a tv show :lol:
I do get it though, people have followed it all closely for years etc, so I guess they were a bit more invested compared to me binging it all away in a few weeks.
Then again, I’m still pretty rational about The Last Jedi too, so I’m not easily losing my shit I guess.
Hate to resurrect this, but yeah, this is almost exactly how I feel.

There are some pretty big plot issues that I feel like could have been easily (or, at least, non-prohibitively) worked out and at a minimum I myself can think of a few slightly better ways to tie all the loose ends together than what we were given. Are there some major, major plot issues that the show glossed over? Of course.

Was it still fun, entertaining TV? Yeah, absolutely. We just have to keep in mind that "Game of Thrones" is no longer "A Song of Ice and Fire," and even then hardcore fans have been accusing GRRM of jumping the shark on ASOIAF since at least the fourth book. Whatever, I still enjoyed watching Dany torch a city, the Night King's death may not have felt earned but was entertaining as hell, and the kingsmoot at the end was stupid but whatever, this was the show that brought us Hodor holding the door, the Red Wedding, and Oberyn Martel dueling the Mountain, I can forgive a 6.5/10 landing on an otherwise solid 9/10 performance.

At a minimum, the fact that the last season was fairly marred from a plot perspective makes me a lot less sad that the show is over than I might have otherwise been. :lol:

I'm also 100% with you that the moment the show jumped the shark was the Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger twist, which only works because things were happening offscreen between major characters that were being hidden from the viewers. It was a completely unearned twist, vs something like the Red Wedding, where it was a surprise to the viewers just as much as it was to the protagonists.