GeoGuessr: My newest time waster

• Thread starter ElRay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Some of you XKCD Fans may have already seen this, but I've spent too much time on GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world! already this morning.

It has a "beat my score" feature. I lucked-out on the one I just did and nailed a few with 20 km, because I've actually been "there" and one of my kids did a school project that included one of the other places.

Ray

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I feel like a detective on CSI or something when I play it. Examining the foliage, zooming in on road signs, paying attention to car models, it's more fun than it should be.

I don't know if it's considered cheating to used more tabs to search for info about stuff I see in he pictures, but I've been able to get a couple things to within TWO kms a couple times doing that. On the other hand, sometimes my detective work leads me widely astray, haha. Like when I notice a store sign is in Portuguese, put my guess marker in Portugal, and then find out it was in Brazil, haha.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Oh. no you don't!

I know how you operate!

First, it's "Hey, Rondo's got pendulum saddles on sale, guys, just FYI..." and boom- I'm hopelessly addicted to building guitars!

Then, "Oh hai, look at this fun little geography brain teaser game I've been playing, guys!"

Next, it's crack.

Well, I spent all my crack money on guitar parts. So there.

Ok, so that *is* kinda fun....

Dman you!

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Jesus, this is massively addicting :eek:.

This was my second try:
f2kdxg.jpg

Not too shabby, but not 19,999 :lol:. However, it DID have this little gem that I'm very proud of:
v3gajo.jpg

Within 12 meters, which is perhaps even within that map's margin of error. That's what I call good research :cool:.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was just getting ready for bed too :lol:

It seems like every time I play, one point is down your way. I've gotten pretty good a telling red&white striped, wind-rounded Aussie rocks from red&white striped, wind-rounded Utah, US rocks.

Ray

Mexi

Reaction score
closest I've gotten is about 200 km. It's difficult when you have all these random Ukrainian villages one after another. very addicting nonetheless. practical use for my geography knowledge!

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
ScreenShot2013-05-22at50140PM_zps2af6c666.png

The joys of spawning near road signs.

That was a great round, ended with 29,774 points.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
19.900 in my first attempt (only US cities :woot: )

on my second one I got.....like 3000? Australia fooled my brain, twice! :(, then came a random Ukranian Village, and the best one I got was somewhere in Italy, but still pretty far

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't guessed a single one in Australia :lol:, I always think they're somewhere in the central or Southern US states. I'm usually able to get somewhat close to the ones in Ukraine... though I always make my guess in Russia. Deceitful signs in Cyrillic :rofl:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Damn, I'm getting slaughtered. Though it is nice to see that many folks are getting creamed by the Aussie photos.

Ray