Getting Started on Recording? Cool Freeware Multitrack Program

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
I got cubase 5, Ive tried running my guitar into my amp and amp into the line in, also tried it into the mic in, I have ASIO4ALL and still can't get the bastard to work for me, Ive gone into the soundcard options and tried with the stereo on and off, nothing is muted. I have no clue of what the F!@k is going on. my soundcard is a realtek ac97, if I go out an buy an asio soundcard will all my problems be solved ?:scratch:

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic, but someone talked about using Mic input on the first page of this thread and I remembered one epic fail from years ago...

I plugged my RG7321 straight into the front panel Mic input of my computer, no POD in between, nothing. Result: 3.5mm jack adapter melted, smoke from the mic input.

So don't try this at home :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I have tried Ardour in regular Ubuntu, but for the life of me could not get my audio card to work at any kind of decent latency. And no matter what I did it wouldn't record. But I would love to get it working. That's the last thing keeping me with Windows.

I had the same problem when using Xubuntu. The lowest latency I ever managed to get without xruns was about 40ms! Then, I migrated to Arch Linux, and all of a sudden I can get lower latencies than I could with Windows+Asio+Sonar! (using integrated Intel soundcard, unfortunately :D) My latency settings are at about 10ms at the moment, and it works fine :)
I believe the high latency is caused by all the garbage included in Ubuntu (which is why I threw it in the bin :wallbash:)

Ardour is a very good program by the way! Takes a while to get used to though, since the user interface is not that much like Cubase or Sonar, and also you might want to RTFM :D Took me quite a while to understand how the Jack configuration thing with all the connection settings etc. work without reading anything...

diatron5

Reaction score
I used kristal a lot a few years back and it really is pretty good but I kind of prefer audacity for it's simplicity in some regards.

gavoja

Reaction score
Reaper is my favorite. It's cheap and you can try it for free. Works on OS X as well (although I don't see the point of getting an overpriced PC, cos that's what a Mac is inside the pretty box anyway). About the tutorial, there you go:
ReaperTutorials - CockosWiki

As for an audio interface, I'd recommend POD Studio. The cheapest one is GX and it does it's job well. Plus, you get POD Farm VST, which makes things a lot easier when it comes to reamping.

FYI: PODs Studio (all models), XT and X3 have the same modelling implemented. They sound the same, they just differ in outputs and model packs included.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I use an older Tascam US-122 interface. It has 2 XLR/Line in and USB out (plus some MIDI stuff I NEVER use). I come directly out of the back of my Line 6 SpiderVavle MKII head and it gives plenty of good tone. It works with Garage Band, Sonar, Audacity, and probably some others. I've used it in OS X, Win, Linux (various flavors).

Baum

ss.org Regulol
Reaction score
Zynewave Podium

For anyone interested in a free multitracker, you might also want to take a look at Podium. It's simple, works with VST(i)s, has MIDI support and whatnot (see "About" section on their page. Great stuff.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
What VSTs and plugins would you recommend for basic mixing ? ie, compressor, EQ, reverb, other than the ones coming with the DAWs (reaper's REA stuff etc)
I like voxengo stuff, their interface is way more intuitive when you begin imho.

cthom124

Reaction score
poor mac users! windows are far worse off at least you get a DAW for free! i run audacity and i agree it sux but thats the only free thing us PC people get
count your recording blessings good sir!

ipguitar

iPguitar
Reaction score
I have trouble with getting playback and I have no clue what it is, it is also saying my ASIO driver is not present or what not and I tried deleting it and redownloading, can anyone help me? (completely new to this)

Jesse7

EST. 1988
Reaction score
MixCraft is where its at IMHO, you get a free 40 day(I believe) trial. I found the transition to ProTools very easy. They're pretty simlar and you can always delete and re-install it if you want to keep using it.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
MixCraft is where its at IMHO, you get a free 40 day(I believe) trial. I found the transition to ProTools very easy. They're pretty simlar and you can always delete and re-install it if you want to keep using it.

Clearly you haven't heard of Reaper...

panchonegro

Reaction score
Have anyone tried Ubuntu Studio with Ardour 2? It seems to be pretty much like pro tools.. but free :D
I tried tangostudio (based on ubuntu 10.04), nice set of tools. I personally preffer Qtractor for tracking and Ardour for mixing and mastering purposes.

benatat

Reaction score
If your a mac user, and you don't mind spending a small bit of cash, then i highly recommend getting Logic Pro 9. It's developed by apple, and paired with MainStage 2 it's amazing.

Logic Pro + MainStage = 230$.

Or get Reaper, but it's just not as good.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
If your a mac user, and you don't mind spending a small bit of cash, then i highly recommend getting Logic Pro 9. It's developed by apple, and paired with MainStage 2 it's amazing.

Logic Pro + MainStage = 230$.

Or get Reaper, but it's just not as good.

Logic and Reaper are in a different price bracket too. $60 vs. $200.

Logic is nice but it does have its flaws and some people don't like the workflow.

Rizzo

Reaction score
I'd rather use Ardour in Ubuntu Studio. Reaper seems like a great alternative on Win.

FACTORY

Manufacture
Reaction score
MAGIX Music Maker 17 or higher with the content packs (drums, instruments, etc). It works great & is very user friendly. the drum loops sound great and are very useful for putting song ideas together or just jamming/practicing. The newer MAGIX Music Maker is over looked and is one of the best multitrack recording programs out there for the price (IMO), its definitely built for musicians. If you try it you'll see what I mean.

Try to get it free if you know what I mean, wink wink.

largeImg.png

Latest posts