Gibson Releases Slash Signature Vermillion Les Paul

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Saw it at Sam Ash, it's nothing special. Those tuner knobs have such a cheap plastic look.

The corpse-teeth? Yeah, they always (ALWAYS!!) look like crap. The rest of the guitar? Sure, but can it really be true that a simple redder than red finish is all that it takes to make a signature? Well, we're talking Gibson so of course it is, but in a reasonable world?

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
I know he gets some slack...But I ....ing love slash, I'm not even a les paul fan and I want this.

Side note: I love red guitars

morethan6

Reaction score
Gibson Les Paul = Porsche 911.

Got it right first time? Keep doing it. Again and again and again and again.

Having said that, I've got two.

Shutting up now.

Splenetic

Reaction score
I'm just thinking that one axe could get me 3 solid Gibsons that suit my tastes better... (70's tribute, an LPJ and a traditional series LP)

then i'd prolly have enough money left over to buy a few pedals and a half oz of kush

Kush > Slash

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this based on a guitar he's known for using or is this just something of his design? Anything unique, specwise?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure, but can it really be true that a simple redder than red finish is all that it takes to make a signature? Well, we're talking Gibson so of course it is, but in a reasonable world?

You're basically describing 90% of signature guitars on the market, from all makers.

Sometimes, all an artist needs to do is make a slight aesthetic tweak.

No need to make it seem like Gibson is alone on this.

A sig of a sig... Gibson, Bringing inception to the guitar world since 19??...

Once again, lets not pretend this was something Gibson did first and that they're the only one who has/is doing it.

Though, to say that this is a "sig of a sig" doesn't give Les Paul himself the credit he deserves.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
You're basically describing 90% of signature guitars on the market, from all makers.

Sometimes, all an artist needs to do is make a slight aesthetic tweak.

No need to make it seem like Gibson is alone on this.
Partially agreed, since most of the time the change in finish for a signature is a little more particular than just "red" or at least it'll have some other visual identification trait, like a band logo inlay (*shudder*) or something else that the brand hasn't done in a while (or ever before). There have been a few red flame top standard LPs before, so basically this is a signature guitar because it's got those pickups, and what else?
I feel kinda the same about for instance the Jimmy Page LP, which is just another '59 re-release with a wiring mod.
Of the brands I can think of, Gibson and Fender are the ones who are willing to change the least amount of features on a standard wall model and still call it a "signature".

Though, to say that this is a "sig of a sig" doesn't give Les Paul himself the credit he deserves.
100% agreed on this, though. The Les Paul isn't a signature guitar at all in my mind; it's a guitar bearing the name of an inventor, who just so happened to be a guitarist as well.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
Love Slash. Love Les Pauls. But I would be much more inclined to buy a sig that didn't have some dudes crappy drawing of himself on it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Which are SD Alnico II's - hardly a 'signature' pickup by all means.

From what I understand, the standard Alnico IIs that Duncan currently offers are different than the original/older version. The Slash Alnico IIs are supposed to be based on the original pickups that were in the Les Paul he used for recording AFD.

So, they're not exactly a signature pickup, but they're not the same as the current standard AIIs.

And much shit as people give Slash for constantly releasing signature gear, at least he actually uses it all. :lol: