Gibson SG Supreme Lava burst 2002

• Thread starter jahosy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
Congrats on the guitar and having the guts to refinish a guitar on aspects that others would find desirable. If you're keeping the instrument then no point of not making it something you enjoy more visually. Plus the denim finish came out awesome, much better looking than the original.

Did you use poly on the refinish or go with nitro again? Just curious if you hear any difference in sound if you went with poly, as a lot of people claim that it kills sustain, doesn't let the body breathe and other magical properties nitro supposedly gives to guitars.

jahosy

Reaction score
Congrats on the guitar and having the guts to refinish a guitar on aspects that others would find desirable. If you're keeping the instrument then no point of not making it something you enjoy more visually. Plus the denim finish came out awesome, much better looking than the original.

Did you use poly on the refinish or go with nitro again? Just curious if you hear any difference in sound if you went with poly, as a lot of people claim that it kills sustain, doesn't let the body breathe and other magical properties nitro supposedly gives to guitars.
Thanks! I had it for two weeks before deciding to refinish it. Final coat in Truoil.

Lots to love about the SG. The neck feels great (surprisingly thin) and it sounded massive! Really thick, chunky tones even though the body is about 30mm / an inch thick? Also loving those spilt diamond inlays on ebony boards (newer SG Supremes are richlite?)

The few issues i had with it were 1) lackluster 'lava burst' finish 2) massive neck dive & 3) poor detailing.

I can look past the poor detailings, mainly file marks on bindings + fretboard, plus some filled drill holes at the back of the body, since it plays really well.

With the neck dive, i did replace the original metal tuning pegs with aftermarket ebony ones, much lighter. Might change them all to open gear locking Hipshots down the track since the Grover locking mechanics are really poor. Also changed the strap pin location to the top horn + added some wheel weights in the control cavity. Much better balance now.

The original 'lavaburst' finish looks really cheap in person. Not sure if that's standard Gibson finish, or just with these Supremes. I've no issues with the finish checking with a nitro finish, but the burst just feels .. dead. Can hardly notice the flamed maple.

RE: Nitro / Poly. This is the first time i own a guitar in Nitro finish. TBH it felt great. It's really glossy and the finish felt really thin, perhaps the reason why it sounded massive. Compared to my Jackson Masterbuilds and Caparison TAT special (all neckthrus in Poly finish) the SG seem to have the most sustain, and the body just resonate so much more. When i played them unplugged and put my ear close to the fretboard, the notes on the SG just sings. Still too many variables to conclude anything (ie. pickups, timber, construction etc.), but i suspect the finish plays a part. Sounded just as massive with the refinish in Truoil. It actually reminded me of the Caparison '96 TAT sunset i used to own years ago, had a really thin layer of finish (hand painted by Itaru) and it sounded massive and a great resonance to it.