Gojira

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Got my copy in yesterday and listened to it: it's not bad, not fantastic either, I definitely see where a lot of the hate for it is coming from. Overall it sounds like a declawed Gojira, it's really missing that signature crushing sound. There are some good tracks, and a few not so great ones like most people said, and they really did over do it with the pitch shifter effect in my opinion. It'll probably grow on me but there wasn't anything on it that blew me away.

L'enfant Sauvage was a hit or miss album in my opinion, where it had some absolutely killer tracks (I love Explosia and it absolutely floored me when I first listened) but then other ones are pretty boring (Planned Obsolescence comes to mind). Magma feels the same way for me, where a few of the songs were really forgettable, and yeah, Liberation really doesn't need to be there, but a couple were pretty damn cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
Saw them live yesterday. Like I previously said, the last album is my least favorite of them, but I can say now that the new songs work very well live. They blend pretty well with their older songs, and the result is a concert full of tension/release, because Gojira knows how to mix the old rough(not so melodic) material with the new one.

It's the second time I see them live. ....ing awesome band and a must see for every fan. A lot of emotions!

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Now that I've listened to the full album, it's good. Not amazing, but damned solid. Not an instant classic like From Mars to Sirius but I can see what they're trying to do with it, and they did it very well. It's more mainstream without losing any of the energy or groove that makes Gojira what they are.

Maybrick

Reaction score
I hate to say it but Gojira were always one of those bands that I had heard about and knew I should listen to but just never got round to it. After about 10 years I finally got round to listening to The Way Of All Flesh and I'm hooked.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I bought the new album and listened to it a couple times over the last day. This is my first time listening to Gojira and I have to admit to being confused. This thread is basically making me think that this is a transitional album and that it probably wasn't the best place to start.

That said, I'll give it an outsider's opinion. It's okay. I don't see it as being a commercial album in the vein of a Black Album, but its not heavy enough to take on the last LOG album either. In a sense, I don't see it appealing to modern hard rock or mainstream metal fans. For me, its an album with its own sound that will need to find an audience because its not ready built for any particular demographic. I liked some of the songs and there are some melodies that certainly stick with you, but there is also some gimmicky harmonizer riffs that probably should have been left on the cutting room floor.

I will give it a few more listens and see if it starts to grow on me, but at the moment, its not something that just grabs my attention and keeps me enthralled. That's okay, because maybe I'm not the set of ears that Gojira was making this album for anyway. I will check out the earlier stuff though, because I have a feeling that it is more up my alley.

J_Mac

Reaction score
Love Gojira, pretty much all their catalogue \m/

Can't get enough of the Resurrection fest gig on YouTube.

More importantly though, has anyone else noticed they've pulled everything before L'enfant off Apple Music? Or has my account crapped out? Gutted if they've pulled em! :(

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I just checked. They have Magma, Infant Sausage, From Mars, The Link, Way Of All, and Link Alive still available on iTunes USA.

J_Mac

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know dude, I couldn't find a press release about it either. Might be something I'm doing wrong...

Edit - Gojira Fcaebook page shows some other UK users have lost these albums too :wallbash:

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
new Gojira fan here. just got from Mars to Sirius as my first album. So far I would describe them as like Mastadon but much heavier. really digging it so far!

there are a couple putrid that are drawn out longer than I would care them to be. but it's not a deal breaker for me

dh848

Reaction score
Late convert here as well, started hearing more about the new record and got my attention. Now I have all their stuff and am loving it.

J_Mac

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know dude, I couldn't find a press release about it either. Might be something I'm doing wrong...

Edit - Gojira Fcaebook page shows some other UK users have lost these albums too :wallbash:

The Link has totally disappeared but searching for the other albums separately brings them up ok to add back to my library. Stoopid iTunes :mad:

(I love Explosia and it absolutely floored me when I first listened)

It is immense isn't it? Especially that outro, it's right up there with Deliverance and Harlequin Forest (Opeth) in terms of immense outro riffs.

vansinn

Reaction score
Cool studio build video, quite inspirational. And so fast, my my.. ;)

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Gojira live melted my face off. I now have no face. How can one band be so ....ing amazing? TesseracT live with Dan is also something to behold.

Holy .... this tour is amazing. If Gojira is coming to your town and you haven't made plans to see them, change this immediately.

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
Gojira live melted my face off. I now have no face. How can one band be so ....ing amazing? TesseracT live with Dan is also something to behold.

Holy .... this tour is amazing. If Gojira is coming to your town and you haven't made plans to see them, change this immediately.

They are playing right now in Dallas...wish I could go but funds won't allow :(.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
so I now habe two Gojira albums. L'enfanf Savage (or whatever) and the one with the whale sounds, backbone songs on it. and I must say that while they have a great unique sound, both albums sound almost identical. Also, the songs kind of blend into each other, it's hard to tell when a song stops and a new one starts. it all kinda sounds like one big long song. I look down at my mp3 player and realize it's already and track 4 when I thought it was still the first song. some parts are drawn out too long for me, a bit repetitive, but there are some awesome moments as well. some really heavy parts.

it may grow on me in time, but I don't have a lust to keep listening to them and purchase more albums. theor songs will now randomly pop up in shuffle. They didn't make my hair stand up, but still they are great nonetheless.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like Gojira is playing in Worcester on the 22nd of this month, anyone else from the MA/RI region going? It's been years since I've been to a concert in general, but this would be worth it.

Mayhew

Reaction score
Love Gojira and this last album especially including the whammy parts. Feel bad for yourselves, not the band if it's not your cup of tea. The fact that it's about their mom dying of cancer makes it more special as I type this from an ICU hospital bed just having a cancerous kidney removed 3 days ago which caused me to be case study number 4 of said tumour causing seizures, encephalitis to the brain. Topped of by the fact that a coworker just died of kidney cancer months ago because he was to afraid to do surgery and another survived and was back at work in three weeks, I love this album now more than ever. Even bought myself a nice mexican fender tele with twisted tele pickups as a get well present when my family was convinced it was brought on by the encephalitis. Cheers. Reverb keeps remindind what's waiting for me when I finally get home after 3 weeks with ads below lol.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
Love Gojira and this last album especially including the whammy parts. Feel bad for yourselves, not the band if it's not your cup of tea. The fact that it's about their mom dying of cancer makes it more special as I type this from an ICU hospital bed just having a cancerous kidney removed 3 days ago which caused me to be case study number 4 of said tumour causing seizures, encephalitis to the brain. Topped of by the fact that a coworker just died of kidney cancer months ago because he was to afraid to do surgery and another survived and was back at work in three weeks, I love this album now more than ever. Even bought myself a nice mexican fender tele with twisted tele pickups as a get well present when my family was convinced it was brought on by the encephalitis. Cheers. Reverb keeps remindind what's waiting for me when I finally get home after 3 weeks with ads below lol.

well aint that quite the story then? good for you and get well

Latest posts