Gojira

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
My favorite track on L'Enfant was the shortest track on the whole album :lol:

Spoiler alert: it's the Wild Healer

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
So my two cents about the album:

First of all I have to say that I feel the opening song (shooting star) is the biggest turd they have put out in recent years. So extremely bland and only clean vocals is just a bad decision, creative-wise. I'm deleting it from my spotify list. And speaking of the clean vocals on the album, I'm not a fan really, it's all just very 'meh' to me.

Now a positive note, I think the rest of the album can grow on me. It has some shining moments for sure and some moments are just plain awesome. Silvera I liked best, followed by Pray.

big_aug

Reaction score
After a couple more listens, I like the album. It isn't what I wanted it to be, but that doesn't make it bad. It's just different. Silvera, Stranded, The Cell, Magma, Pray, and Only Pain are all enjoyable tracks.

I'm still pissed they didn't do more with that groovy ass riff half way into Magma (starts about 3:30 and ends around 4:10). That might be my favorite part of the whole damn album and it's only 40 seconds. I don't think I'll ever get over that. When I heard that the first time I thought the whole last two minutes would be based around that riff as an outro type thing. Gojira has always been the king of outros for me and the last minute or two of a lot of there songs are my favorite parts.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been listening to the previous albums for the past week or so, and I'm curious to hear the new one in direct sequence with the rest of their work. Anybody try that yet?

I just finished mine, actually. Split it across two days and two sessions with some Glenmorangie Original and Beyerdynamic DT 880s.

Anyway, had a big rambling play by play written up but IMO if you listen to all 6 in a row, the Link actually ends up as the outlier. They moved closer to the From Mars sound that made them famous on that album, but I think From Mars is overall a huge leap forward from the Link and overall is still the strongest album they've ever done, and probably ever will do. One of the greatest metal albums of all time right there.

Then two more albums along the From Mars line, streamlining the sound each time. Then new one in my opinion reaches all the way back to a lot of stuff they were doing on Terra Incognita that they dropped in their pursuit of ultimate heaviness. Softer textures, clean vocals, similar picking patterns.

So it's a break with the pattern they've established over the past decade, but not without precedent.

The one thing that really disappoints me is the mix on Magma - the first two albums were rough, From Mars the mix suited the music perfectly, Flesh the mix got even better, L'enfant Sauvage is one of the best mixes you could hope for and will be a reference mix of mine for a long time, but the new one is just ... kinda weak, honestly. I do like the quiet, dynamic master, but the tones themselves are just not what I expected after the last album.

raytsh

Contributor
Reaction score
I did not like the new album at first, but now, after listening to it about 6 times, I like it more and more.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Damn, I can't believe how much of a negative response Magma is getting on here. I thought it was great.

It's a little strange, but I think it is fantastic. Silvera and Magma are mind blowing tracks

WhiskeyPickleJake

Reaction score
Never listened before, but Magma is growing on me. As someone who feels that nickleback or duck rape sounds better than Mastodon, I'm having a little trouble shaking the slight Mastodon similarly. But still, it's growing on me.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
I think its great!
I'd really like to see these guys live

You really should! Freaking huge live! A lot of emotions on their music, and live that transfers to the public really well. I'm hoping to see them for the 2nd time on July 7th.

Now I'm going to listen the new album for the first time, as I honestly didn't know it was out already. :hbang:

BoneClaws

Young Old Man
Reaction score
I just listened to the whole thing front to back for the first time and I gotta say... I love it. Put me in the "pro" category because I am more than pleased. They're still heavy, still distinctly Gojira, they're just shaking loose from the strictures of the tech-death label a bit. Experimenting with vocal styles a bit, tightening up song structures, playing siimpler but no less brutal guitar riffs... none of this is a crime. I kind of like the willingness to grow. I heard moments where I spotted Tool inspiration, moments of Lamb of God, but the overall package was still distinctly Gojira, I couldn't mistake them for any other group. They're just growing up.

I'm also a die-hard Mastodon fan and I've been sick and tired of hearing the genre purists whine about how "they're not even metal anymore" blah blah blah for about ten years now. These people literally want them to make Remission over and over again. As if that sludge/groove formula, as awesome as it was, wouldn't get tired sooner or later. If Mastodon had never evolved, we'd be losing the greatest prog/stoner band of a generation in exchange for just another boringly "consistent" band.

chinnybob

Reaction score
I'm also a die-hard Mastodon fan and I've been sick and tired of hearing the genre purists whine about how "they're not even metal anymore" blah blah blah for about ten years now. These people literally want them to make Remission over and over again. As if that sludge/groove formula, as awesome as it was, wouldn't get tired sooner or later. If Mastodon had never evolved, we'd be losing the greatest prog/stoner band of a generation in exchange for just another boringly "consistent" band.

This is interesting, I had a very similar thought upon listening to this album that it reminds me of the change that Mastodon went through. Although for me the break point with them was after Crack the Skye, I hard a hard time enjoying the albums after that although they have grown on me over time.

Anyway, I've listened to Magma a couple of times now and while it didn't absolutely floor me like FMTS I still really like it, solid 8/10. I can see why it's been so divisive, I just count myself lucky that I'm in the camp that likes this one :)

BoneClaws

Young Old Man
Reaction score
This is interesting, I had a very similar thought upon listening to this album that it reminds me of the change that Mastodon went through. Although for me the break point with them was after Crack the Skye, I hard a hard time enjoying the albums after that although they have grown on me over time.

Anyway, I've listened to Magma a couple of times now and while it didn't absolutely floor me like FMTS I still really like it, solid 8/10. I can see why it's been so divisive, I just count myself lucky that I'm in the camp that likes this one :)

I see exactly what you mean. For me, Crack the Skye was a grower, I wasn't initially impressed. Keep in mind, I was a HUGE, MASSIVE fan of Leviathan and Blood Mountain (in fact, I would still count Leviathan as one of the all-time greatest albums ever made, I love it that much) so it was a bit of a disappointment to hear my favorite band sounding a bit like Rush. I recognize now they were challenging me. I steadily liked it more and more as time went on... there were so many things to appreciate: new guitar tones, catchier riffs and vocal hooks, unpredictability in terms of structure and lyrics, and Brann is an amazing singer! The drummer! I could never have guessed! I wound up being really pleased and it's just because I was open minded and accepting and it wasn't long before I found things to truly appreciate. I'm glad they went the way they did, they're too creative for a little box and I say that as someone who actually loves Remission. A band's journey should feel like actual movement, IMO.

Alright, enough about Mastodon from me. Sorry for the thread diversion. :lol:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Careful now. Why are any of you guys in here posting negative opinions? I gave up on criticising bands on here years and years ago. If an album sucks, I simply don't talk about it at all. I don't clutter up threads with negative posts and leave space for the fans to talk about what they enjoy.
As annoying as this thread is because of the crap fest going on... I agree with this, you basically get into trouble on these forums for posting negative opinions even if they are constructive. I tend to refrain from doing that now anyways because I am old and don't give a .... about this type of crap anymore but when I first joined here it really took me aback.

Anyways, Gojira, I like the new stuff better tbh.

Anectine_Matt

Reaction score
I enjoyed it a lot on first listen and it's continued to grow on me. I thought that the use of the clean vocals was fine and feels well implemented. Normally if a band goes from predominantly heavier vocals to trying something like this I would at least notice it from the perspective of there just generally being something different going on, but it didn't really hit me as out of place. I see where a lot of people would be disappointed if they're expecting something more along the lines of FMTS, but I wasn't one of those people and the feel of the album kind of fits the feel of things going on in my life currently as well, so overall I like it quite a bit. Good on them for trying something different and doing it well. If they make heavier stuff more like their earlier material down the road, so much the better, I still think this one is rad. *shrugs*

BoneClaws

Young Old Man
Reaction score
As annoying as this thread is because of the crap fest going on... I agree with this, you basically get into trouble on these forums for posting negative opinions even if they are constructive. I tend to refrain from doing that now anyways because I am old and don't give a .... about this type of crap anymore but when I first joined here it really took me aback.

Anyways, Gojira, I like the new stuff better tbh.

This is off topic but I love your avatar pic. I can scarcely open a newspaper without wondering what Hicks would say. He was decades ahead of his time, we need him now.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
After a bunch more listens, I really do like the album. No, it doesnt instantly grab your face and fvck it like Toxic Garbage Island or something, but it still grooves and is heavy as ever.

Give it a chance is all I say.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Spun it again today, I don't mind Yellow Stone as much as I did the first time, and the only change I made was deleting Liberation.

Stopping at Low Lands was the right move, and I'm putting this as a solid 8/10

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I like the record both in it's entirety and in the order it is presented. I might skip Liberation if I was listening on the go or at work, but otherwise I like it for what it is. It reminds me of the acoustic bits on Sepultura's Roots, or even the end of Against.