Good Sepultura albums?

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Honestly, Sepultura have been releasing solid albums, just that people's bias have prevented the exposure.

Against,
Roorback
Kairos
Mediator
and of course, Machine Massiah

are all superb Sepultura albums (besides the early classics for the elitists out there)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Schizophrenia, Beneath The Remains, & Arise.

^This. Chaos AD is okay, but nothing mindblowing. Ignore Roots. Extremely overrated album. It sounds like Max heard Korn's self titled album and tried to copy that.

And honestly, the stuff they released since A-Lex has been solid. Every album got better and better.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed Against as well. I don't own anything newer though.

IGC

Reaction score
You might like troops of doom, if your into the old school thrash death metal sound.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
If you want high octane thrash metal that's heavier and more violent than every US thrash band, get everything up to and including Arise.

If you like a little bit of nu metal groove, go with Chaos A.D. and especially Roots.

This. But prioritize Beneath The Remains and Arise.

Leave Roots last (or skip it altogether).

If you're going to tread on post-Max territory, then Against, Dante XXI and Kairos are pretty good representations of the Derek era Sepultura.

Or if you want the best post Max/Roots era Sepultura, just get the first Cavalera Conspiracy album.

chopeth

Reaction score
Bestial Devastation

no... now seriously: Arise is the best, then Chaos A.D. and finally Beneath the Remains. If you indulge a little bit of Nu-Metal + ethnical brutality Roots is also good.

knispler

Reaction score
I grew up listening to Chaos A.D. and, as it came out pretty new when I started listening to heavier music. I kind of dug both really hard.
I found Kairos extremly boring and now Machine Messiah is great again, but with less concept or unique sound, compared to the Max-era...

Zeus1907

Reaction score
co-sign. everything after pretty much makes me cringe.

Agreed. Schizo, BTR, Arise
If you want to see and hear the Sepultura I fell in love with check out 'Sepultura Under Siege (Live In Barcelona)'.
They're at there best. Luckily it's on YouTube now.

Viginez

Reaction score
first three albums have some good songs
but arise is the best
then chaos ad
the rest not so much imo
i'd also recommend that live in barcelona '91 concert
it's brutal

Edika

Reaction score
I think most people have covered their discography and like different albums for different reasons. I'm a big fan of Arise, Chaos A.D. and Beneath the Remains. The first album I heard from Sepultura was Roots and loved it but then I listened to Beneath the Remains and Arise and it just fell short afterwards.

I've tried giving them a chance with Derrick but I never really liked anything after Chaos A.D. I know a lot of people are hung up on Max and don't like Derricks vocals but for me it's the song writing and sound they have. Maybe because the older albums made such an impact I was always hoping they'd go towards that direction when Max left. I should probably give them another spin just to see if I still have the same opinion as I would like to believe I'm more open minded now days.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
If you want to see and hear the Sepultura I fell in love with check out 'Sepultura Under Siege (Live In Barcelona)'.
They're at there best. Luckily it's on YouTube now.

Good lord, this is an absolute masterclass.

I need to practise the drums some more.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
So far i've listened to Chaos AD and Roots. I really liked both of them. Gonna start on Arise next.

stuglue

Reaction score
there's a great DVD out there that has the live in Barcelona gig, plus the promo videos. Worth a purchase and it'll cover a lot of their career

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
Everything made up until 1997 is somewhere between decent and great.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Beneath the Remains is one of the greatest Thrash albums of all time. Arise is as well to a lesser extent, but damn, breakdowns begin and end with the thrash break in Dead Embryotic Cells. Schizophrenia is also a spectacular riff fest. Roots and Chaos AD are good for what they are. I gotta be honest, I really don't know much of the Derrick Green material, but what I've heard isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

Last edited: