Great tutorial on recording heavy guitars

LOLAND

tin ears
Reaction score
20-45Hz. Never say never. Just say rarely.
50-90hz Ahh the madness. Here's the 'swing' range in our 'chugging'.
100-150 Bottom of the meat.
180-240 Lo-Center of the meat.
250-320 Hi-Center of the meat.
340-650 Danger Will Robinson. Top of meat/Bottom of mids. CRITICAL.
700-900 More danger. Hard to hear. Kills 'newbies' on contact. Will explain.
950-1.2k Pure Satan. Make or break ya. Easy to hear. Hard to control.
1.3k-1.6k Ditto the above.
1.7k-2.2k Top of the mids/Bottom of pick attack range. Oh, the fear.
2.3k-3.1k Middle of pick range. Picky de poison. Mucho Satania.
3.2k-4.2k Top of pick range. Pick out a nice coffin. Yer gonna need it.
4.3k-6.5k Bottom of fizz. Add Beefeaters for gin fizz. Guzzle many glasses.
6.6k-8k. Top of fizzy. Many will kill this range ruthlessly. Careful. Can O' wormies.
8k-10k Road to hell. Paved with good intentions. Enjoy. Not.
10-15k Less obvious road(s) to hell. Gravel. Lose a windshield up here.
15k-25k Same disclaimer as 25-40Hz. Can you say 'sometimes bandwidth matters'?

I feel this is really important, but he's being such a self-satisfied jackass that I can't tell what his point is.

EDIT: I just realized this guy is Grampa Simpson. He fought in WWII, he's seen everything there is to see in life, but every time you try to talk to him, he rants about the time they wore onions on their belts and cars got 60 rods to the hogshead.

ViolaceousVerdance

Reaction score
So, I was reading this a fair bit last night... got about half-way through before I fell asleep. I've learned a few things:

1.) Slipperman has intense emotional/psychological problems.

2.) I should've paid more attention in college.

3.) Noise gates have sidechains, too.

4.) I need to stop messing around with cheap crap.

5.) I probably should've been mid-scooping my kiks all this time; Everyone must hate me by now.

:ugh:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fraz

Reaction score
Awesome article! Amusing yet knowledge to be picked up. The bit about micing cabs at the start and the kick drum section are pretty useful, although wading through all the jokes and ranting has become slightly tiresome...
I will also have to agree with the majority of readers that Slipperman has problems...

Mazzy

Banned
Reaction score
It's online, but I honestly can't draw anything useful from the good portion I read. There's too much rabble in there to really explain what the heck he's talking about. Then a good amount of it seemed like common sense to me, but maybe it's because I've been reading these sorts of things for awhile.

kenken27

Reaction score
It's online, but I honestly can't draw anything useful from the good portion I read. There's too much rabble in there to really explain what the heck he's talking about. Then a good amount of it seemed like common sense to me, but maybe it's because I've been reading these sorts of things for awhile.

Would you happen to have any recommendations or more things to read? I'm really interested in this AE stuff. Thanks.

Also, can anyone explain the beginning about excursion point and cabinet involvement? I understand what he means, but I don't know at what master volume I should be recording at after finding these two points. My understanding has always been to isolate and push the motherfucker to eleven?

ViolaceousVerdance

Reaction score
Check out The Systematic Mixing Guide by Ermin Hamidovic. It's a concise read, not as lulzy, but it has a humorous bit here and there. I'd recommend it.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Slipperman was a gearslutz member with a lot of famous credit's on his name (Recordings / mixes), did a lot of great work and is a great guy..

Even though sometimes he can go off in a slight tangent, the guy is funny as hell :)

Ermz is an excellent mixer and really down to earth, I have the systematic guide and I can +1 for it.

Char2000

Reaction score
I hate this guy's writing. Stop ranting and write what you mean man!

Bence Póczak

Reaction score
Hi! What do you think about my first song on my first sevenstring guitar?
Guitar sound comes from a pod xt live:)
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WZIfIS--Qng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chronophobia

Reaction score
Anyone else get tired of this?

HOHOHO. Loving it.
HOHOHO. No shit.
I blame Al Van Halen. HOHOHO.
HOHOHO. Kill me.
Not yet! HOHOHO.
(Hey! .... I'm working on a Mac here!! HOHOHO)
2 a day is the absolute limit. HOHOHO.
Might wanna look at the 270Hz range..... HOHOHO.
...AND THEREFORE LOOK A WHOLE FUCKING LOT LIKE MISTAKES to the untrained(HOHOHO) eye.
(Well, actually, its kinda INCLUSION... HOHOHO)
...to retain(HOHOHO) my sanity.
He's a bit of a "Sticky-Beak" HOHOHO...
Just goes on and on!

penningmic

Reaction score
This looks like a great article. I purchased an R24 for recording live off of my amp (as I liked the sound). Did some reading on recording and still can't capture the live sound off-amp sound (for lack of a better term), I am still a massive beginner :(. Hopefully this will give me a better idea for set up.

Tonardiald

Reaction score
I agree 100% with this. This is why I'm so obsessed with getting a perfect rhythm guitar sound. It's hard as hell and yet it's absolutely vital to your recording. When people think of "good production" on a metal album, they're wittingly or unwittingly referring to the sound of the guitar and drums.

eggzoomin

Derp
Reaction score
Very interesting and very funny. It would be interesting to know the bands that's he's referencing, particularly the five piece from '99 that he uses for a lot of the examples.

mindlessgrind

Reaction score
This should help me out, I've been looking for a few different threads containing information on recording metal guitars.
I've always had trouble when it comes to the rhythm tone, so thanks!