Greatest Guitar Finish of All Time

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Sherwood Green. :pickle:

preview_1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
On the quilt maple side, I love a good McNaught:

IMG_7038_35cda0ef-acaf-47dc-a9e2-3be215285e10_1024x1024.jpg

DhlDfjoV4AIZwfW

w0khm7jyvwegxvhvey0i.jpg

cmr5iqeotzvt0galvvkf.jpg

Of course the wood does a lot of the heavy lifting, but if you're wowed by a PRS private stock finish and never saw it in person, I recommend going to a store and checking it out. They're often photogenic at the expense of the depth and chatoyance.

I've been out of the custom guitar game for a long time, but kind of considering a McNaught...

spudmunkey

Reaction score
On the quilt maple side, I love a good McNaught:

IMG_7038_35cda0ef-acaf-47dc-a9e2-3be215285e10_1024x1024.jpg

w0khm7jyvwegxvhvey0i.jpg

cmr5iqeotzvt0galvvkf.jpg

Of course the wood does a lot of the heavy lifting, but if you're wowed by a PRS private stock finish and never saw it in person, I recommend going to a store and checking it out. They're often photogenic at the expense of the depth and chatoyance.

I've been out of the custom guitar game for a long time, but kind of considering a McNaught...
What's the deal with those pickups? Are they direct-mounted, but still use rings?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
What's the deal with those pickups? Are they direct-mounted, but still use rings?

Yea, I'm in the camp that aesthetically the rings just work on that design, but McNaught was one of the first guys to be pushing that idea of direct mount as a tonal option that creates a bigger connection between the pickup and the wood and all that fluff. There's been a couple Phoenixes without rings, they're alright.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Holoflash, obviously.
dU6HlF8.jpg

This one done by a member here way back.

That's one of those finishes I didn't know was a thing and need that in my life.

Another one I've always loved, it just doesn't belong on a Gibson, their bowling ball finish
l8tn19dv8czy.jpg

Give me that finish on a superstrat or something weird shaped.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I realise I've owned that thing for 10 years now, how it flies...

1703778553536.png

It's not "just" a pretty burst in colors I like with matching hardware, you can see the wood grain in the golden area so the paint is really thin. It has a 3D effect I haven't seen on equivalent guitars. (ie, non figured wood)

Last edited:

broj15

Reaction score
Kerry king esp crackle/camo

s-l1600.jpg

Or the Charvel's "lava crackle"

YUNDEFINED69953.jpg

Of course just plain black has to be mentioned.

Will also add any guitar with the combination of white body, mismatched black headstock, and maple fretboard with black inlays. Cant find pics but I know I've seen Ibanez make a few RG's with that color scheme.

Last edited: