Guitar Center Sold Me a Used Lemon.

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Long story short, I bought a used Agile 7 string from Guitar Center advertised as being in Good condition. According to GC, Good condition is defined as,

"GC Good Condition : Solid playing condition, may have one or more repaired cracks or other cosmetic flaws."

Except the guitar I got isn't in solid playing condition, as frets 14-24 are quite literally dead on the top 5 strings.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I mean is it dead because it shifted during shipping. Or is the neck warped. That’s two different things.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I mean is it dead because it shifted during shipping. Or is the neck warped. That’s two different things.

As in when you fret the top five strings from the 14th to 24th frets you get the same dead non-note. As in this is not a "solid playing" guitar, because half of the fret board is dead. ;)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you gotten it setup?

What do you mean by "dead"? Does raising the action or adjusting the truss rod fix it?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
That just sounds like the neck is backbowed, tweak the truss rod and straighten the neck first before you return it. Unfortunately Guitar Center has hundreds of instruments just sitting there on stands until they're shipped and sent to you so they don't get setup out the door.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Guitar center is the last place to go if you want to buy an instrument and expect it to play well right out of the gate. Sometimes you can get a hell of a deal on a used instrument that doesn’t appear to play well, simply because it hasn’t been set up. I got a killer deal on an SL1 years ago, and I’m sure it was because the trem was lifed at like 20 degrees to the body. It was literally unplayable. But after about 15 minutes I had it set up like a beast.
OP, if you’re not comfortable setting up that guitar, just return it. Do NOT pay them the set it up. Otherwise it will just be different, not better.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Guitar Center has a good return policy (45 days) and support. Take it to your nearest GC and have them give it a good setup. Some if not most don't have the best "techs", but should be able to bring it to decent playability, at the least. I would suggest having them change the strings for you too. Take it home and try another spin with it. If it is still not acceptable to you, then return it for your money back. Make sure you mention to the manager about your initial problem just in case you might ask for a shipping refund too. Just consider the cost of the strings and perhaps the shipping as renting a guitar.

Good luck!