Guitarmory fakemachine

• Thread starter diagrammatiks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not a fan of people stealing other’s designs, but if the original design owner isn’t doing anything with it, then I’m not sure how I feel. I don’t think it’s fair to just sit on a design and do nothing - that’s almost like the technology patent trolls. And I’m definitely against knock offs of companies like Strandberg, who are out there actually selling guitars and trying to come up with a business that meets market demand. Overall, I’m personally more into new and unique designs, but I know a lot of people want a more conservative looking guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At this point the perceived and expected outrage over these things is bigger than the actual reaction to them.

The fact that most folks don't even really know the back story is testament to that.

No one cares about Blackmachine anymore. At least anyone outside an incredibly small bubble of folks.

Basically, unless you're a "close personal friend" of Doug, looking to sell one, or trying to relive the halcyon days of 2013, this is just another pseudo-RG/Soloist.

Ziricote

Reaction score
Under $1000? Maybe I buy one. Is it chambered and compound radius fretboard like the real deals?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not a fan of people stealing other’s designs, but if the original design owner isn’t doing anything with it, then I’m not sure how I feel. I don’t think it’s fair to just sit on a design and do nothing - that’s almost like the technology patent trolls. And I’m definitely against knock offs of companies like Strandberg, who are out there actually selling guitars and trying to come up with a business that meets market demand. Overall, I’m personally more into new and unique designs, but I know a lot of people want a more conservative looking guitar.

The market and means was all there if Doug had given the go ahead. It could have been strictly a UK size shop like Mayones or had a Korean line alongside expanding the same way as Strandberg. It had the potential to be huge and others jumped on that market when things weren’t moving.

Another Blackmachine clone line just joins alexipress, Ormsby, skervesen and a countless others. It is a throwback to see all the “headstock will snap”, “body is to thin” etc comments again after gutarmory was posted.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The market and means was all there if Doug had given the go ahead. It could have been strictly a UK size shop like Mayones or had a Korean line alongside expanding the same way as Strandberg. It had the potential to be huge and others jumped on that market when things weren’t moving.

Another Blackmachine clone line just joins alexipress, Ormsby, skervesen and a countless others. It is a throwback to see all the “headstock will snap”, “body is to thin” etc comments again after gutarmory was posted.
Did they have headstock snapping issues with Blackmachine type heastocks? They do look a bit thin. Reminds me of when I had my Parker Fly Deluxe. It's one of the things that was always in the back of my mind.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

These are just protos, the originals are pretty beefy as well so we'll see what comes out in the end. Too thick and it looks hockey-stick-like. I think it's going to depend on the woods used too.

Maybe we should throw one of our protos at a couch and make a post about how it should have never left the factory as part of a formal testing event.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Did they have headstock snapping issues with Blackmachine type heastocks? They do look a bit thin. Reminds me of when I had my Parker Fly Deluxe. It's one of the things that was always in the back of my mind.

Nope, rock solid. Even invictus said they ran theirs into a wall one time and it didn’t break(which might explain the state of their guitars they shipped out!).

The headstock are single piece as far as I remember, maybe if they were multiple laminates they could come apart with the tension? But I don’t glue wood together so it’s not my area. Just growing, cutting and occasionally burning it.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Nope, rock solid. Even invictus said they ran theirs into a wall one time and it didn’t break(which might explain the state of their guitars they shipped out!).

The headstock are single piece as far as I remember, maybe if they were multiple laminates they could come apart with the tension? But I don’t glue wood together so it’s not my area. Just growing, cutting and occasionally burning it.
multi-laminates are stronger than single pieces of wood, unless you split them directly along the seams (which is extremely unlikely).

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Well, as one of the local Blackmachine nutters, I'm in on this. Looks sick. Is there an ETA on when these might hit the market?
I'm assuming the included pickups will be Guitarmory sets?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Well, as one of the local Blackmachine nutters, I'm in on this. Looks sick. Is there an ETA on when these might hit the market?
I'm assuming the included pickups will be Guitarmory sets?

I don't have an ETA yet. Pickups included will be Guitarmory sets afaik. I'll follow up with more details after I talk to the rest of the team later this week.

olejason

Reaction score
Have you thought about neck woods yet? I know roasted maple is popular right now but I'd love a Blackmachine-esque 7 with a wenge neck.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Have you thought about neck woods yet? I know roasted maple is popular right now but I'd love a Blackmachine-esque 7 with a wenge neck.
• Pickup sets will be Guitarmory sets (as expected)
• No ETA, it's just when get everything together decide the manufacturing of them is good-to-go en masse
• US line, customers can pick the woods. Import, right now we're thinking maple + wenge stripes.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Sevenstring.org goes like this:

Blackmachine: YESSSSSS GAGA

People who build BM clones for their own personal use: YESSSSSS GAGA

People who clone BMs for sale:

BOO HISS You're ripping someone off and we don't like it and stuff

you forgot to add:
"BOO HISS You're ripping someone off and we don't like it and stuff
.....just get an used Prestige"

1K for a guitar made in China starts to be an awful lot given the excess money isn't going to go to the workers.

yet everyone is happy to buy a Dingwall NG

if the quality is there, the materials, the build method, the time and the QC, then the price of a factory would hike up eventually reaching that. Just because its made in one country doenst mean it has to be X price.

Those factories work a la carte, you get what you order. If you want the bare minimum specs and time, then yes, you can build a 300$ guitar with them, but if you want good material, fancy specs, and them to take their time, its gonna cost more, eventually reaching a higher price. Yes, China is "cheap", but that only means that if you make the exact guitar in a different country, lets say Korea, that guitar would cost more. Quality would be exactly the same (ideally), you just have to pay more to get it done

people think that because its "thin" and they see the strigns going trough the air, like on a Parker", but think about the straight pull of each string, and how many strings are actually pulling out the thinnest part of the headstock. EVeryone says the same with the Ormsby Hype headstock, but if you look closely its only 2(almost 3) strings pulling out after the thinnest part, all the other strings are pulling a part of the headstock thats directly connected to the neck. Never heard of anyone snapping the headstock, so this guitar should be fine

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sevenstring.org goes like this:

Blackmachine: YESSSSSS GAGA

People who build BM clones for their own personal use: YESSSSSS GAGA

People who clone BMs for sale:

BOO HISS You're ripping someone off and we don't like it and stuff

At this point I just kinda think... how hard is it to make a more original design? If going through the hassle of launching a guitar model, why not put your own personal stamp on it in a way that wouldn't be negligible if one looks at it from across the room with less than 20/20 vision?

Didn't know the guitarmory guy was here and frankly the pickups look great and wish them all the best, but think it'd be cooler if someone would actually want a guitarmory guitar, and not want a blackmachine-but-cant-find-or-afford-it-so-this-is-it-i-guess guitar.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
So consensus is that copies are fine as long as it's not east asia or weird eastern european country.

except for narad who sticks to his principles.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Copying is a de facto and historic thing in guitar manufacturing. The fact that BMs are just thin superstrats with a headstock that isn't original either also doesn't help.