Hardest solo?

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
What's hard for one person may be easy for someone else and vice versa. Also, many of these solo's are built on the idiosyncrasies of the guitarists' own personal style. So what's natural to them is insanely hard for everybody else!
Having said that, I've been revisiting some Dream Theater from Systematic Chaos and while its not my favorite album to listen to, John Petrucci plays some really insane stuff. Someone mentioned "Dark Eternal Night" and they are right! That's a crazy solo! But my favorite is on the Dimarzio website. It's the "Fortress" solo track, no accompaniment, and it freaks me out how clean and crazy it sounds by itself. Here is the link, its at the bottom:

Crunch Lab 7

TIMEwaveXERO

Reaction score
Caus he is my fav guitarist currently.. I've been trying Per Nilsson's stuff.. dead set my hands are not big enough. BUT I WILL PRESS ON!

jbab

Reaction score
I've been trying to learn Children of Bodom by Children of Bodom. I can play most of the song at regular speed, but I have to slow it down to 50% for the solo... And I completely .... up faster than that :(. The hardest one I can pull without being sloppy is probably The Lepper Affinity by Opeth.

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
I've been trying to learn Children of Bodom by Children of Bodom. I can play most of the song at regular speed, but I have to slow it down to 50% for the solo... And I completely .... up faster than that :(. The hardest one I can pull without being sloppy is probably The Lepper Affinity by Opeth.

Two most excellent jams :bowdown:

Sudzmorphus

Reaction score

skip to 1:36

I can't play it to speed, Would love to see it done though.

And heres the man himself playing it live :bowdown:

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Isn't this, you know, extremely subjective?

Anyway, I second that something written by Lane is probably going to be extremely hard. Also Jason Becker

ChaNce

Auto-banned?
Reaction score
I like that you mentioned that song; I'd forgotten about it. Here's something I recorded almost 5 years. It's the part at 1:15. It could have been done better, but I still can't believe I was 17 and playing that... where have my chops gone now? :lol:

You have a life now? :) My chops started dissolving when I left for college.

When I was 17, I gave a shit. I'm 40 now:)

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
I find that a lot of jazz/fusion solos (anything from Guthrie, Holdsworth, Garsed, Metheny, Bireli, etc.) are way more challenging than metal/shred or neo-classical solos

Murmel

Reaction score
Something that's really, really, really, really fast with a shuffle feeling.

PureImagination

Reaction score
I was finally able to play Fermented Offal Discharge by Necrophagist a couple of months ago, it's still the most technical solo I've learned.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
You have a life now? :) My chops started dissolving when I left for college.

When I was 17, I gave a shit. I'm 40 now:)

That's exactly it :lol:. I just don't have the dedication I used to have before, and I'm only (almost) 23 nowadays. My mind is on too many different things these days. Having moved 4 times (going through 3 continents) since then, being in university, and being more independent have definitely taken a toll on me :lol:. My skills did develop quite a bit since that video, but I haven't made any real progress in a LONG time.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I used to be able to play the first 6 measures of arpeggios from hell.

But... Then I stopped practicing.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Cursory look over, saw that there was a need of this:

This entire song is ridiculous, not just the solo.

daschy

BIG WHISKERS
Reaction score
I picked up Shouting Fire at a Funeral by Jeff Loomis by ear, and I was thinking "Hmm, maybe this guy isn't such a great technical player after all"

Then I tried Miles of Machines... I admit defeat, and I now bow down to Loomis