Have string manufactures not caught on to the extended range market?

• Thread starter Najka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Very few people are probably even consciously aware of string tension as a consideration. But 10s in E standard is pretty much an industry wide default in terms of what ships on new guitars and how guitars are set up, so the majority of guitar players are most likely playing around that amount of tension even if they don't know it. That's exactly why it's strange that the big string companies seemingly arbitrarily landed on 56 or 59 as a standard seventh string gauge though, as opposed to matching the tension and feel of 10s in E standard more closely.

Factory strings looking at various manufacturer specs.

6 string (BC Rich, Ibanez, Fender, Jackson, etc.): 9-42

6 string (PRS, Schecter): 10-46

7 string Ibanez 9-54
7 string EBMM 9-52
7 string Schecter 10-56
7 string BC Rich 9-52
7 string Mayones 10-60

Low E at 42 is about 14 lbs. That's equivalent to a 46 one step down. Also remember that longer scale length will increase tension with the same gauge and tuning.

How do we get to 84 gauge strings again?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
If this is a serious question: lower pitches play better with more tension than higher pitches for lots of people. Bass guitars are at like 20+ lbs of tension per string or else the strings gets to be a little uncontrollable. So if you like a 42 for your normal low E, and 84 is going to feel roughly the same an octave lower.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
If this is a serious question: lower pitches play better with more tension than higher pitches for lots of people. Bass guitars are at like 20+ lbs of tension per string or else the strings gets to be a little uncontrollable. So if you like a 42 for your normal low E, and 84 is going to feel roughly the same an octave lower.
It's not a linear relationship. It's squared. So doubling the frequency will quadruple the tension. But it's also dependent on the mass of the string. So ya, you can approximate it that way if you assume the mass of a string is also 4x higher as you double the gauge.

Regarding the "hard to control"... That's more a personal statement than an objective one.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
It's not a linear relationship. It's squared. So doubling the frequency will quadruple the tension. But it's also dependent on the mass of the string. So ya, you can approximate it that way if you assume the mass of a string is also 4x higher as you double the gauge.

Regarding the "hard to control"... That's more a personal statement than an objective one.
Put it in a string tension calculator. Kalium has a great one.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Factory strings looking at various manufacturer specs.

6 string (BC Rich, Ibanez, Fender, Jackson, etc.): 9-42

6 string (PRS, Schecter): 10-46

7 string Ibanez 9-54
7 string EBMM 9-52
7 string Schecter 10-56
7 string BC Rich 9-52
7 string Mayones 10-60

Low E at 42 is about 14 lbs. That's equivalent to a 46 one step down. Also remember that longer scale length will increase tension with the same gauge and tuning.

I know for a fact that Ibanez at least uses 10s out of the ones you listed using 9s. And when did I say anything about 84s?

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Put it in a string tension calculator. Kalium has a great one.
I did, which is why I said it's an approximation due to mass increasing about 4x when frequency halves.
I know for a fact that Ibanez at least uses 10s out of the ones you listed using 9s. And when did I say anything about 84s?
I got that looking at a random RG on their website. It looks like the Prestige models can use 10-59. I'm not sure this changes much of what I said. Retail string sets match the gauges that manufacturers are putting on guitars in the factory and have been available for more than a decade.

As for the 84 comment, that's more directed at many threads coming from the ERG than you specifically.

Reaction score
Never heard of them, but thanks for the heads up. Just checked out the website, and the multi-scale 8 set has a 28"+ length tolerance, which should be perfect for my 28.8" 8 string, which the normal Ernie Ball sets I get don't fit for the low F#. Gonna order a set and see how they work. :cheers:
Dread15 might still work as a 15% off btw, my personal code for a FB group I run. Just remember to adjust your nut slots if your going with a bigger string gauge and it sits above the slot

The Blue Ghost

Direct Mount Pickup Enjoyer
Reaction score
Just use 9's for everything.
I used to try all sorts of different gauges for E standard. Played 27" Ibanezes for quite a while and found I really liked 9-80 for Drop E. Then when I moved back to 25,5" 7-Strings I used 10-59 for Drop A for a similar tension but then I tried 9-42 for the E-standard part and I've never looked back since.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Dread15 might still work as a 15% off btw, my personal code for a FB group I run. Just remember to adjust your nut slots if your going with a bigger string gauge and it sits above the slot
Ah, cheers man. Thanks for that code - I'll try it out. And no worries on the nut - I've got the low string filed for a .90, so all good. :cheers:

The Blue Ghost

Direct Mount Pickup Enjoyer
Reaction score
I used to try all sorts of different gauges for E standard. Played 27" Ibanezes for quite a while and found I really liked 9-80 for Drop E. Then when I moved back to 25,5" 7-Strings I used 10-59 for Drop A for a similar tension but then I tried 9-42 for the E-standard part and I've never looked back since.
Also; I'm completely sold on Elixir at this point, their strings feel so nice and last me forever.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really like DAddario NYXL for bass and wanted to load up my EHB1505ms Pacific Blue with a 50-135 set. Since that set isn't offered stock, I had to buy a pack of 50-105 and a single 135 for the low.

Bass strings for the guitar? Any issues with the knob at the end? The side that goes in the bridge or the body? Or are they the same size?

I just got back my 8 string (25.5-27") with .90 on the bottom tuned to low E. Using a string tension calculator that's just under 20 pounds of tension. This is pretty decent for me, but using a string calculator and looking at 10-52s on 25.5" scale, the tension for my A and D are closer to 26-28 pounds of pressure. My low E would be right around 23 pounds, but I tune down to D, so that puts me at 23 pounds on the low D - fine. This is what I'm accustomed to.

For my Legator with 26.5-28, I'll likely get a set of Kaliums and go with .94 or .98 on the low E, which is 23 and 25 pounds, respectively.

Stringjoys on the Harley Benton feel great, but of course they do, they're new strings.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Bass strings for the guitar? Any issues with the knob at the end? The side that goes in the bridge or the body? Or are they the same size?

I just got back my 8 string (25.5-27") with .90 on the bottom tuned to low E. Using a string tension calculator that's just under 20 pounds of tension. This is pretty decent for me, but using a string calculator and looking at 10-52s on 25.5" scale, the tension for my A and D are closer to 26-28 pounds of pressure. My low E would be right around 23 pounds, but I tune down to D, so that puts me at 23 pounds on the low D - fine. This is what I'm accustomed to.

For my Legator with 26.5-28, I'll likely get a set of Kaliums and go with .94 or .98 on the low E, which is 23 and 25 pounds, respectively.

Stringjoys on the Harley Benton feel great, but of course they do, they're new strings.
What? No, I got bass strings for a 5 string bass at 33-35" scale. 0.050 - 0.135 wouldn't fit any guitar nut I have ever seen. My 8 string Legator Ninja gets 0.010 - 0.074 for a 26.5-28" scale length at F.