Headphone Recommendations for Helix

• Thread starter wannabguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
He has a child coming - do not go open-back :lol:
I don't think having a baby would be an issue. Behind a closed door, no one's going to hear it, plus babies can sleep through some pretty loud noises. I'd be more concerned with annoying the wife since they're combining offices to one room.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think having a baby would be an issue. Behind a closed door, no one's going to hear it, plus babies can sleep through some pretty loud noises. I'd be more concerned with annoying the wife since they're combining offices to one room.
Mine woke up hearing me roll over in the adjacent room at times, ymmv.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mine woke up hearing me roll over in the adjacent room at times, ymmv.
Things will vary child-to-child and month-to-month in the early stages. We had a stretch when we used to joke: "I don't know why we're so tired, we had 7 naps last night!"

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Another satisfied DT770 ohm user here. Out of the closed options I've tried, you simply can't beat them for comfort and sound. They can be bright, but I think for guitar it's a plus I think. I keep the DT880 250 ohm at my office (so I use them the most) and they are very flat and probably my favorite headphone period. Can't overstate how comfortable Beyerdynamic headphones are. The Sennheiser HD600 are also great, but you'd have to go used to fit your budget. I got mine for around that. They're a warmer sound with very flat mids, so they're great for guitar in that sense.

As others have said the big choice is between open and closed. I've played guitar with both and they have their pros and cons. Open generally just sounds better to my ear, but you do get more string noise. Usually, unless I absolutely need the isolation, I go for open.

Unless you're just cranking the headphones, the guitar strings will be louder than the headphones. That probably matters more to the wife than the baby. Luckily both of my kiddos are pretty heavy sleepers, so I can be decently loud when they're asleep.

Necky379

Reaction score
Another vote for Audio Technica 50’s from me, I have two pairs from that series among others. That would be my choice.

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reviews on head-fi.org are pretty credible, i used to hang ou there a lot and trade cans. Audio tecnica and Beyerdynamics were favorites, Sennheiser, AKG, Shure i liked. Grados are super punchy but not really monitor phones for some reason. Mackie and Audix for lower price bracket also

Ideally you could try a lot on a lot and return any that produce listening fatigue in DAW or listening to music. Critical to find some that don't clamp your head, pull ears or other annoyances, my personal one being curly cords. Dunno why they bother me but they do.

Last edited:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
He has a child coming - do not go open-back :lol:
I was about to recommend the Sennheiser HD498s or the newest iteration of them until I saw this haha

I got AKG44s for closed-backs just to have and I hate them. So I don't recommend those.

I thought I remember the AT 50s having more of an issue with hyped up bass than 770s when I last researched for a headphone purchase. Can anyone confirm that?

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought I remember the AT 50s having more of an issue with hyped up bass than 770s when I last researched for a headphone purchase. Can anyone confirm that?
been awhile since I've listened to the 770s, and I didn't use them much, as they were a gift from me, not for me :lol: that said, going off of memory, yes, the 770s have less bass. the M50s had a certain fullness and warmth to them, not unlike bumping the resonance knob on a power amp.

either would be fun to play through and I wouldn't say one is worse than the other. the M50s I've had are pretty tanky and can take some battering with no problems. for the OP's use case, that's probably a better bet. the synthetic earpads can handle grubby little toddler fingers and other grime without issue. I don't think I've ever had to replace the earpads on my ATH headphones, and I can't say that about the Beyerdynamics I've owned. (if you don't sweat into them though ever, you're probably fine.)

general rule of thumb would be that the Beyerdynamic headphones mentioned are going to be a lot more neutral overall. flatter mids and not as much push in the bass. it's sort of like the difference between monitor speakers and a quality higher end bookshelf speaker (plus sub?) for general listening and entertainment. I wouldn't say it's an issue, it's tending towards a different use case.

the bookshelf speakers are going to be more fun with exaggerated subjective qualities that people like -- more bass, punchy mids, and so on. the monitor speakers are intended for long term listening with less aural fatigue and being overall more accurate. I don't find the ATH-M50s tiring, having owned both the OG non-detachable cord version and the Bluetooth model. they're definitely not the most accurate or neutral though, if that's your thing.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Go for the Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm. I have the 990 Pro 250 Ohm with the Helix and they sound great, but are open and can he heard easily outside the earphone. I haven't tried anything at or below that price point that comes close. Some commercial headphones sound "better", but its because they're scooping out parts of the response that might sound rough/harsh.