Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Oh, also, I never like the Mike Portnoy lyrics. They were always so elementary. Here's hoping that DT will let John Myung write some more lyrics for the band.

Oh, and also, the mixes that Portnoy produced never had enough bass guitar. Hopefully, John Myung can turn himself up again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I did not see this coming. I'm fairly concerned because he had a big say in the bands running, the music, setlists and concepts. He'll be easily replaced for gigs but writing could be pretty different without him so the results could go either way.
He'll be back though, I'd say we'll see him back in the DT camp within a few years.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
...I think I just felt my heart break for the first time in a few years. :(

I really hope he ends up going back after stretching his legs, that band is the fuckin world to me, as I'm sure it is to many others.

Andrew

Reaction score
neil peart would be interesting. but yeah we all know mike is up with the times and the trends.. and loves all sorts of modern music while maybe the others arent? and he wants to relax and maybe start something new. gotta respect it! it's a bummer and a sad day though : [

QuambaFu

Reaction score
Holy shit about this. Lately I've been a casual fan of DT but this is pretty huge news considering how stable(not crazy and pretty level headed) they have been it's pretty big news.

Portnoy is the 7th trending topic on twitter right now.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
This can't be real, Portnoy seemed to me like he was more than just a drummer, it was like he was a conductor that had drums instead of a baton. In the writing process he was at the front, leading a lot of those awesome rhythms that helped define progressive metal. What he did was more than just bashing skins and keeping a beat, he was musically one of my favourite drummers. I normally ignore the drums and listen more to melodies and harmonies and stuff, but with Dream Theater there was so much going on that you hear it a new way every time, and a large part of that was Mike.

Sure they can get someone to play the way he played, and indeed someone who can keep a steadier beat than him. But what about his input in the writing process?

(I swear to god, they'd better find a good temporary replacement, if it's a drum machine I'll cry.)

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Here's LaBrie's answer to all of this...

Dont get me wrong, i really like Labrie's singing, and actually I have all his solo albums, It´s just that... sometimes he can be waaay off. In the 3 shows i saw them, i didnt see Myung, Portnoy, Rudess or Petrucci miss a single note... But on one of the shows Labrie's voice was horrible.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
hey guyz wouldn'tit be sweet if they got buddy rich toplay with them!????LOL AWEZXUME

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
A part of me just died inside. This is the biggest shock in the metal world in a long long time. I can't imagine them without Portnoy...but maybe this could be a good turning point for Dream Theater. Who knows....

If one thing is for certain, I saw his last ever live performace with Dream Theater at Jiffy Lube Pavillion on July 20th.

Im sad :(

Demiurge

Reaction score
That sucks, but it might not be the worst thing ever for the band (Kevin Moore already left- he can't leave again!).

They've been going in (IMHO) the wrong direction for awhile and perhaps James LaBrie, given the quality of his own work, shouldn't be bearing the blame for everything that DT doesn't do well. I think they need to stop pretending to be a heavier band than they're capable of being and get back to basics. Maybe they should get Gavin Harrison in the fold so they can have a tasteful progressive rock presence in the band.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
If he honestly left Dream Theater then I don't think Dream Theater will even continue to be honest. But this really stinks though. :(

But I also have a feeling he might come back as well. Lord willing.

Latest posts