Helix 3.70 out now

• Thread starter complex-barb.0t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Even when I was using the Axe 3 i wasn't impressed by the stock presets lol. I rather dial in my own sound

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Presets are useless anyways because they're dialed in to the original user's rig, and we have zero idea how their room was treated, what their listening device was, etc. The reason they are mostly "terrible" is because of this. I use the presets for routing ideas only.

Stiman

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised by the response to presets. On the one hand, for most things they are usually terrible, and I never use them. So I agree, but those Neural DSP plugins have really good presets IMO.

But whatever, I'm ok with being wrong. To each their own.

olejason

Reaction score
The Metallurgy factory presets are pretty solid too.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised by the response to presets. On the one hand, for most things they are usually terrible, and I never use them. So I agree, but those Neural DSP plugins have really good presets IMO.

But whatever, I'm ok with being wrong. To each their own.
Hahaha just because a lot of people disagree with you doesn't mean you're wrong. There's a reason why Line 6 Marketplace is a thing and why a lot of people sell their preset packs. Because people buy them. There's a time and place for everything. I've had the Helix LT for almost 6 years, I've made a lot of freaking presets. But if the factory preset sounds good it sounds good, there's no need to complicate things. 👍
With every new update I actually look forward to see the new factory presets made by Line 6 because it allows me to see what the creators intended their modeller to sound like. They're just meant for playing and not recording most of the time, they have the volume block, reverb, high/low pass already applied, etc. So it's a bit different from NDSP which is a plugin that will always be used inside a DAW to record demos..

gb66

Reaction score
first rehearsal with 3.7 tonight. i am excited.

going to try to use the jcm 800 as both my clean and dirty amp. if i can get down to only using 1 amp sim i might be able to switch to the poly pitch from the simple.

i also wanna try to add the feedbacker but didnt have the dsp in my current main preset. might have to drop something but i am not sure what yet.

Have you tried to use 2203 as a single amp for clean and dirty sounds yet? I did and it sounds amazing. I've got clean, crunch and hi gain sound with only this amp and the TS. It feels just like my half stack setup. The only thing which bothers me is very loud pop when switching snapshots from the low gain to hi gain 2203. It happens only when I try to compensate volume difference between those two but when I don't compensate then volume difference it makes clean and crunch barely heard.
2203 model and new Green Back cab convinced me to buy the Helix LT and try to use is instead of my amp and cab live but right now I have to use separate model for both gain options.
If you have any suggestions then I would appreciate some tips.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Have you tried to use 2203 as a single amp for clean and dirty sounds yet? I did and it sounds amazing. I've got clean, crunch and hi gain sound with only this amp and the TS. It feels just like my half stack setup. The only thing which bothers me is very loud pop when switching snapshots from the low gain to hi gain 2203. It happens only when I try to compensate volume difference between those two but when I don't compensate then volume difference it makes clean and crunch barely heard.
2203 model and new Green Back cab convinced me to buy the Helix LT and try to use is instead of my amp and cab live but right now I have to use separate model for both gain options.
If you have any suggestions then I would appreciate some tips.
Maybe if you use the LA Studio Comp at the end of the chain ala Jason Sedites. I can't not run my path this way cause it gives me an overall patch volume and I can lead boost without getting into other settings. I also am running the new 2203 like you said. It's hard to decide between that and the Placater Dirty. I can do the same thing with the Placater with a -29db volume block in front of it and adding +3 somewhere in the chain after it. Trying to do a dual amp patch with the the 2203/Doom or Placater/Doom currently.

Also, @Digital Igloo is there a way to change the MODE button on the HX Effects from Patch/Stomp to Snapshot/Stomp instead? This would really help me live without other external pedals.

Stiman

Reaction score
Maybe if you use the LA Studio Comp at the end of the chain ala Jason Sedites.

What's the intention of adding the comp like this at the end? I don't mean how do I use a compressor, or what does a compressor do, I'm just curious what the intention is.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
What's the intention of adding the comp like this at the end? I don't mean how do I use a compressor, or what does a compressor do, I'm just curious what the intention is.
The prevailing thought is that there is a "sound" to that model that gives a sheen and depth even with barely any gain reduction happening. I didn't think it made enough of a difference when I tried it to worry about adding it to any presets.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
It's subtle but I like it. Try the reduction between 3.5 to 5 and the gain at 5 everything else stock. He says it's a little glue that focuses everything.

Stiman

Reaction score
It's subtle but I like it. Try the reduction between 3.5 to 5 and the gain at 5 everything else stock. He says it's a little glue that focuses everything.
Do you use it on high gain rhythm presets too?

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Do you use it on high gain rhythm presets too?
My presets are for clean, crunch, heavy all in one changed with snapshots. That way I don't have patch lag changing up. I'm using HX Effects and Stomp together.

gb66

Reaction score
So I tried 2203 high gain with several clean channel amps and this pop still occurs. I ended with 2204 mod for high and Voltage for low gain. I have to rethink this and try again.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Okay so the L6 Voltage sounds fucking mean as fuck being boosted. I basically took (mostly) stock settings; dimed the gain and lower the sag pretty low. Now from here you can either dime the stock boost and get some pretty gnarly '80s thrash going on, or and get something like the Pillars and also use the stock settings but dime the level and use Mode 2 then you're in modern gain territory.
I wanna try to mess around further and use the gain dimed + stock boost dimed, and boost it even further with an SD-1 or OD808, but I'm currently drunk from early new years festivities so that will have to wait. :lol:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
It is pretty good. It's winning me over from the new 2203 kinda. With the boost up over half then a Horizon Drive it can do anything. Makes snapshot to clean easy, just turn off boosts and drop gain. Added a guitarist with a cool practice spot and he's using a Bugera Trirec thru an EVH 4x12 so it's back to real amps for me lol. Gonna use the same tricks on my Origin in 4cm.

Latest posts