Hello From Upstate NY!

• Thread starter Heretick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
And I mean waaaaay upstate. Nearly Canada!

Been playing guitar for 12 years, love cheap guitars and Strats, which I guess is just a fancy way of saying I love modding. Recently started down the path of lutherie.

I currently have 19 guitars and 1 bass, the highlights being an early 2010s Schecter Hellraiser Special, a white Tregan Syren, a mid-90s Mexican Squier Strat, and a kit-built headless.

I love video games, reading, and metal, particularly Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Death, and Cynic.

Greetings!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
From a fellow upstate-NY'er, nice avatar. I love that game -- even contributed to the FAQ and now work for square-enix.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
From a fellow upstate-NY'er, nice avatar. I love that game -- even contributed to the FAQ and now work for square-enix.
That's awesome! FFT is my all-time favorite game, haha. It's a tradition for me to play it every year, 18 years and running. Got an FFT tattoo and even named my dog Agrias, lol

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
That's awesome! FFT is my all-time favorite game, haha. It's a tradition for me to play it every year, 18 years and running. Got an FFT tattoo and even named my dog Agrias, lol

Wow! Yea, I haven't replayed it in maybe a decade but I was thinking it's overdue. I sort of put it off thinking there'll be a pixel remaster or something, where I can get both the nostalgia and a bit of a new experience.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
Wow! Yea, I haven't replayed it in maybe a decade but I was thinking it's overdue. I sort of put it off thinking there'll be a pixel remaster or something, where I can get both the nostalgia and a bit of a new experience.
Yeah, makes perfect sense. I'm always holding out hope that Square will remaster, or even just re-release it on something other than mobile, but it seems to be forgotten more often than not. I play pretty much exclusively on emulators these days, and have done some hacking/modding of it myself.

ABOVE the snow-belt right? Where you only get 2'-3' of snow accumulation in the winter? St. Lawrence County, maybe?
Right in the middle of it, actually, haha. Middle of nowhere, Lewis county. But I end up spending a lot of time in Jefferson county and such, just because there's absolutely nothing to do here other than, like, going to Walmart and seeing all the people you went to high school with.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
:wavey:

Sounds like we have similar hobbies and like the same bands and live in similar places.

Which headless kit?

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
:wavey:

Sounds like we have similar hobbies and like the same bands and live in similar places.

Which headless kit?
https://www.solomusicgear.com/produ...uitar-kit-ash-body-headless-maple-neck-rw-fb/
This one right here. The wood and customer service were great, and the stock bridge pickup is surprisingly good for what I like. The two singles are super anemic, though, and the hardware is preeeeetty dreck-y. Cheap Chinese "Overlord of Music" stamped Steinberger R-Trem copy for the bridge; Stays in tune perfectly fine if you lock it down, though. The main thing is that I just find it joyous to play.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... Right in the middle of it, actually, haha. ...
I remember driving down to Watertown. You could often see a line where the snow goes from 24"-36" of accumulation to 90"-120"
... going to Walmart ...
At lease you have a Walmart. We had an Aames. The next biggest retail establishment was a grain/feed store. Ogdensburg was a "a couple of towns over" and was considered "big" - It had a K-Mart, IIRC. Maybe it was a Sears retail store - we only had a Sears catalog store.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
I remember driving down to Watertown. You could often see a line where the snow goes from 24"-36" of accumulation to 90"-120"At lease you have a Walmart. We had an Aames. The next biggest retail establishment was a grain/feed store. Ogdensburg was a "a couple of towns over" and was considered "big" - It had a K-Mart, IIRC. Maybe it was a Sears retail store - we only had a Sears catalog store.

Ha, funny you should mention that. Ames was all we had for a good chunk of my childhood. The Walmart got built when I was around middle school age, maybe? 7th or 8th grade? Something like that. It was a big deal at the time!

I actually bought my first guitar in Watertown (and a couple of others since). A Greg Bennett Malibu strat copy. It was actually a really solid guitar, wish I still had it.

I'm pretty lucky in that the immediate area around me isn't the HOTTEST spot for snowfall, comparatively, but I certainly get my fair share, that's for sure!