Help me learn some funk type bass lines

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
So, I’ve always played normal sort of progressive/alternative/metal sort of bass lines. The closest thing I’ve ever played to funk was one band where we did some Chili Peppers stuff. Anyone know of any good songs I could get the tab for to learn stuff like this?

guitaardvark

Reaction score

Vulfpeck is never a bad place to start, though they're not that heavy on the slap. Still, it's tasty, requires good muting technique, and tabs are widely available.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
"Brick House" by the Commodores is a great song to start with. I hope it doesn't seem insultingly simple, since people are throwing around Jaco and Wulfpeck, but with Funk it really is important to nail down the timing and the feel. Much more so than fitting in ALL THE NOTES, in my opinion. It's much more important to get locked in with the drummer and keeps the crowd's booties shaking than to melt anyone's face with blistering chops.

Anyway, "Brick House" has a nice steady pulse to help get the timing down, slaps on the E and the A to help you get used to changing strings, and throws in octave pops, which are a mainstay in the genre/technique.

And here's the TAB, to save you the trip:
https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/commodores-brick-house-bass-tab-s32649t0

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I’ve been away from SSO for a couple of days, but I’m going to get on these....