How close is the Recto Recording Pre to the real thing?

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ditching the MosValve. Not exactly the sound I was looking for. Lots of cutting midrange and presence, but not much low end/low mid thump.

I guess I'm pretty set on a Recto then. :lol: Just gonna sell what I got and go that route.

Thanks a lot for the help. Gonna do some selling and keep my eyes out for a proper Recto.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep your eyes glued to GC Used, Duals and Triples have been popping up for stupid cheap lately. Even some two channel variants have been going up for cheap. They just get snatched up instantly.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I would, if I had $2100. :lol:

I'm getting one 2nd hand if I go that route.

What setup were you using?

In to a Mesa 2:90... but it was at GC Used Gear section... so...

You can find good condition MW Triples around $1000 +/- used if you search a bit. Lots of good deals on the used market right now.

Big fan of the Triple MW. I've had the Triaxis/2:90 combo before, and that's pretty versatile... but for pure tone, I like the heads better.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I imagine it sounded different through a 2:90. I bet a 2:100 would have sounded much more Recto-like.

And the prices are why I'm trying to get a Recto now. :lol: I noticed a lot of sub-$1000 Rectos, so I'm thinking now is a good time.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I had a RRP for a little while, and never bonded with it. I received it in a trade to make up the difference of a much higher end guitar. At the time I had a Single and a 3-channel Triple and enjoyed those amps far more no matter what power amp I mated to the RRP. I tried cheapo MosValve and Art stuff, various Peavey tube and solid state, and even Mesa and Marshall's highest end offerings and nothing made me want to switch to a rack setup.

What you are saying is fair, but the power amp you use with the RRP matters a great deal if you are going to compare it to a stand-alone Dual/Triple Rectifier. The following is taken from the manual:

MODERN / EXT. TRIGGER TO POWER AMP
As described earlier in the Front Panel section of this manual under SOLO, this is the trigger port for the auto-tracking MODERN feature. This jack sends a trigger pulse to the corresponding jack on the MESA Rectifier Stereo 2:100 and Stereo Simul-Class 2:90 power amplifiers. These smart power amps auto-modify the amount of negative feedback when the MODERN mode in CHANNEL 2 of the preamp is selected or switched to via the Footswitch. This reshaping is crucial to the sound of this mode and using this feature duplicates the circuit and the performance of this punishing mode in the Dual & Triple Rectifier Solo Heads.

If you want to use Modern Mode live, you need either the 2:100 or 2:90 power amps from Mesa. There are no other options from other brands or even Mesa themselves. I am not saying either of these power amps would have made you want to switch to a rack setup, but you need one in order to compare "apples to apples."

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used practically every available Mesa power amp at the time including the 2:100 and 2:90.

vick1000

Reaction score
The "modern" mode on the preamp just shunts the end of the cable coming from the "modern" mode capable power amp, thus engaging that mode on the amp. You can still use "modern" mode on the peamp it just won't effect the power amp's negative feedback without the "modern" mode capable power amp. You still get the preamp benefits of "modern" mode.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well I can safely say I'm looking for a Recto now. Looking at either the Triple Recto or Roadster. Most likely leaning towards the Triple because the Roadster sounds too dark and fuzzy in the clips I've heard.

And a bit out of the blue... How's the Framus cobra compare with the Rectos? :D

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Well I can safely say I'm looking for a Recto now. Looking at either the Triple Recto or Roadster. Most likely leaning towards the Triple because the Roadster sounds too dark and fuzzy in the clips I've heard.

And a bit out of the blue... How's the Framus cobra compare with the Rectos? :D

They sound pretty good... really Recto-like... but are built like crap. The front panel is thin sheet metal, bends and tarnishes easily, tolex will tear if you stare at it too long, and the insides aren't much better. The Mesa is built 1000 times better and will give you zero issues. There have been at least 3 revisions to the Cobra. Also the Cobra is touchy with speakers and sound good with GM25s... not so much with V30s. I swear by V30s for metal. I'd only go for a Cobra at a very good price and if I could play it first.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The "modern" mode on the preamp just shunts the end of the cable coming from the "modern" mode capable power amp, thus engaging that mode on the amp. You can still use "modern" mode on the peamp it just won't effect the power amp's negative feedback without the "modern" mode capable power amp. You still get the preamp benefits of "modern" mode.

...though, most of the "benefits" of Modern mode on a Rectifier come from the radically different presence control, which is entirely the product of negative feedback in the poweramp. So, you're not going to get it to sound like a Recto Modern sound without a Mesa poweramp it's designned to work with.

I'd put another vote in for a Recto head over the RRP, if nothing else because they're tough to find whereas Rectifiers are all over Craigslist, meaning you can afford to be a little more picky when looking. The multi-watts are nice, but so are the older ones. A lot of attention is given to which "version" of a Recto is the desirable one, but really, they're all pretty good, it's just a matter of slightly different flavors. IF you try one of the less-popular ones and like it, hey, that means you're getting a great amp at a better price than one of the "popular" ones.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Apparently the older heads can get closer to the newer heads if you play around with the presence control. So yeah I hope that's true. :lol:

I've narrowed it down to the Triple Recto or Roadster. I was thinking about the Roadster for versatiloty. But the Triple for the pure brutality and huge sound. May just end up with the triple.

And I was just curious about the Framus. Unfortunately it seems like prices really started to skyrocket on them.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Apparently the older heads can get closer to the newer heads if you play around with the presence control. So yeah I hope that's true. :lol:

I've narrowed it down to the Triple Recto or Roadster. I was thinking about the Roadster for versatiloty. But the Triple for the pure brutality and huge sound. May just end up with the triple.

And I was just curious about the Framus. Unfortunately it seems like prices really started to skyrocket on them.

I love my Roadster, but it's definitely on the darker/less brutally tight side of the Recto spectrum. It still gets plenty heavy, but not quite to the degree of the Triple. In return, Ch 3 (of 4) is a much smoother lead sound than you expect out of a Rectifier - I use it for Andy Timmons/Joe Satriani type stuff, and it sounds very natural.

Descent

Reaction score
How about Triaxis? I was guitar tech for guitarist that was running that and two Mesa power amps on tour and it was amazing, very rugged as well. We also tried that Recto preamp, and I think mainly the difference is that the 2:90, etc. power amps also have a preamp section into them so it won't be exactly the same sound as the heads.
We found the Triaxis more versatile and it could get other Mesa sounds, plus the digital switching was godsend.

If you are looking for a 2:90 on the cheap, try the Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp
is a budget option of the 2:90, it doesn't sound exactly the same but it is not far.

peavey-classic-50-50-476209.jpg

protest

Reaction score
I love my Roadster, but it's definitely on the darker/less brutally tight side of the Recto spectrum. It still gets plenty heavy, but not quite to the degree of the Triple. In return, Ch 3 (of 4) is a much smoother lead sound than you expect out of a Rectifier - I use it for Andy Timmons/Joe Satriani type stuff, and it sounds very natural.

It's definitely darker but I think it's actually tighter than the old 3 channels. I like Ch 4 on Vintage for leads and Ch 3 Modern for the heavy stuff because of the mismatched presence tapers.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's definitely darker but I think it's actually tighter than the old 3 channels. I like Ch 4 on Vintage for leads and Ch 3 Modern for the heavy stuff because of the mismatched presence tapers.

I AM interested in the Roadster (obviously you know why :lol: ) It's just I was trying to go away for the smoother sound. I like the aggressive grit of the Triple.

And I DID think about the TriAxis, but from what I've seen, it doesn't get close enough to the Recto sound. It does a convicing Mark sound, but I want the Recto tone.

protest

Reaction score
I AM interested in the Roadster (obviously you know why :lol: ) It's just I was trying to go away for the smoother sound. I like the aggressive grit of the Triple.

And I DID think about the TriAxis, but from what I've seen, it doesn't get close enough to the Recto sound. It does a convicing Mark sound, but I want the Recto tone.

It'll get away from smooth sounds pretty quick especially in Brit, Raw, or Modern. The Roadster is really the only one you can finagle to get those smoother kinds of tones from but Ch. 4 Modern is 100% the Recto tone.

If you can try one out though you should definitely do it because you never know until you've got it in person.

These are pretty good representations of what it can sound like.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I stll got a couple of weeks to decide, unless my 5150 sells before then.

Definitely seems to be between the Triple or the Roadster for me.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It'll get away from smooth sounds pretty quick especially in Brit, Raw, or Modern. The Roadster is really the only one you can finagle to get those smoother kinds of tones from but Ch. 4 Modern is 100% the Recto tone.

Yeah, that's why I like it - Ch 4 is pure "Recto" but Ch 3 gets closer into Mark territory than you'd really except of a Rectifier. I don't know why - different presence voicing, maybe? - but it's a great sounding, stupidly flexible amp.