How close is the Recto Recording Pre to the real thing?

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
giphy.gif

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Bump for a misc question.

I got a Mesa 4x12 with the casters missing. Am I gonna have to order them from Mesa, or can I use some 3rd-party casters?

I still got the locks for them, just dunno if I can use any ol' casters, or if I'd need to get 4 new ones direct from Mesa. I don't want to buy a set all willy-nilly from eBay or Amazon only to find out they don't fit in the track locks on my cab.

Shask

Reaction score
Dude, just that menacing pissed off grind of a TS boosted Recto. into a Rec. cab is a thing to behold at volume.

It's funny, all these past 10-12 years it seems like we've been chasing that super tight metal sound and comes so easy now with amps like the EVH and Engl.

Now I'd much prefer the fat crunch of a Recto. with the option to tighten with a boost.

I have felt that way for a long time. The ultra tight sounds seem very boring to me. You gotta have some sag to get those chugs which shake the walls. I feel the same way about digital and solid state amps. If they just put some sag in there, they sound and feel 200% better.

Shask

Reaction score
Thread is over.

Just bought an early 2001 Triple Recto.

:shred:

Even though I am mostly digital these days, my old 2-channel Triple Recto is the only tube amp I have held on to. That thing will level buildings with palm mutes. Love that amp.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
:shred:

Even though I am mostly digital these days, my old 2-channel Triple Recto is the only tube amp I have held on to. That thing will level buildings with palm mutes. Love that amp.

Oh yeah, I see you talk about it a lot. :D

But yeah, I may just buy the Mesa casters as well. I noticed a lot of casters have rectangular bases, while Mesa ones are squared.

Shask

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I see you talk about it a lot. :D

But yeah, I may just buy the Mesa casters as well. I noticed a lot of casters have rectangular bases, while Mesa ones are squared.

Triples are beasts :shred:

Many people think they should sound the same as Duals only louder, but there is a big difference when you hear them back-to-back. The Triple has more low end, but I think they are clearer and tighter also. They have more of a mid scoop that brings out the clarity. Duals always sound kind of muddy and boxy to me.

I always think that is one reason why I can never dial in that sound on my Axe-FX II. The Dual models just aren't the same.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's why I ended up getting the Triple. Every time I've heard that extremely tight Recto tone, it was always Triples. Godsmack (Awake and Faceless), Nevermore, Metallica, Alter Bridge, etc... Did Testament use a Triple for The Gathering or no?

Shask

Reaction score
It's why I ended up getting the Triple. Every time I've heard that extremely tight Recto tone, it was always Triples. Godsmack (Awake and Faceless), Nevermore, Metallica, Alter Bridge, etc... Did Testament use a Triple for The Gathering or no?

Yup. I am the same. All my favorite Recto tones ended up being Triples. Add Cannibal Corpse, Suicide Silence, Brujeria, White Zombie, etc....

Speaking of Nevermore, been listening to them a lot lately. I have an older Schecter Hellraiser C7 that I don't play much and considered selling..... got it out and the Triple recently.... totally reminded me of why I bought it years ago. That combination is chunky as hell.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

buriedoutback

Reaction score
It's why I ended up getting the Triple. Every time I've heard that extremely tight Recto tone, it was always Triples. Godsmack (Awake and Faceless), Nevermore, Metallica, Alter Bridge, etc...

Congratulations!

I have a 2000 Triple myself. I thought I understood how to dial it in properly, but I could never get a super tight tone. I had a TS in front of it as well. I could get a 'big' sound, just not a 'tight' sound. I realize that 'big' and 'tight' are subjective terms...
I bought a 5150 and it has a tight sound, but not a big sound. Maybe I should take another crack at the Triple... maybe less bass and more mids...

My Mesa 412 didn't come with castors either. I just unscrewed the plates from the bottom and bought the biggest castors I could find. I also made sure their mounting plate was big enough to cover all the old screw holes.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
I doubt it. I don't use the FX loop too much. I use all my effects in the input.

Maybe down the road.

Fair enough. I only ever use a Lo-Fi, Chorus and EQ in the loop (lofi/chorus very sparingly). I'm just not a fan of the signal bleed from the parallel loop on the Triple. I also like to use my 5150/Triple as a power-amp. The 5150 excels at this due to it's serial loop.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Triples are beasts :shred:

Many people think they should sound the same as Duals only louder, but there is a big difference when you hear them back-to-back. The Triple has more low end, but I think they are clearer and tighter also. They have more of a mid scoop that brings out the clarity. Duals always sound kind of muddy and boxy to me.

I always think that is one reason why I can never dial in that sound on my Axe-FX II. The Dual models just aren't the same.

Listen to this man. :hbang:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Man, you guys talking about triples again.

I have had very little amp GAS for the last couple years since I got my Axe FX II, however a triple recto was one of those amps that I do still want, since there isn't one in the axe fx. You guys are making it worse for me.

maybe one of these days I'll find a good deal on one. But being in the UK, I'm not holding my breath.

Shask

Reaction score
Man, you guys talking about triples again.

I have had very little amp GAS for the last couple years since I got my Axe FX II, however a triple recto was one of those amps that I do still want, since there isn't one in the axe fx. You guys are making it worse for me.

maybe one of these days I'll find a good deal on one. But being in the UK, I'm not holding my breath.

I love my Axe-FX II for many things, but the one thing that bugs me about it is that I have never been able to get that same type of low end punch out of it. It has a lot of bass, but not the same as the way the low end of the Triple jumps out you.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I love my Axe-FX II for many things, but the one thing that bugs me about it is that I have never been able to get that same type of low end punch out of it. It has a lot of bass, but not the same as the way the low end of the Triple jumps out you.

I've been using the FAS Modern III lately, not too hard to get a recto-like tone but way punchier, so maybe that's similar to what you're talking about.

Looks like I'm gonna be on eBay and gumtree looking at triple rectos again...